Trek Verve+ Range

Bob Ottawa

I bought a 2018 Trek Verve+ a few weeks ago. I just love it! It has the Bosch Active Line motor with a 400 wh battery.

At first I found the ride uncomfortable on anything but smooth pavement. I upgraded the saddle to one with a bit more cushioning. I increased the amount of travel in the suspension seat post. I also inserted some thin rubber strips at every point the fenders were connected to the bike to eliminate annoying rattles. These changes have made all the difference.

I am wondering what other owner owners are experiencing with maximum range. I am finding that I get about 80 km (50 mi) riding mostly in Tour mode on a combination of good pavement, some bad pavement and the occasional bit of stone dust paths. Conditions are mostly flat with some hills and winds of about 15 kph (9 mph). I use a bit of Sport and Turbo modes on the hills.

I am completely satisfied with the amount of assist I am getting on uphill rides and into stronger headwinds. I tried a bike with the Bosch CX motor and I thought is was too much motor for the kind of riding I do, generally 20-40 km (12-25 mi) rides. The Verve+ is great value for the price, in a well designed Trek product.

I would be interested in hearing from other Verve+ owners about their experience with maximum range. I would also be interested in hearing from owners of other e-bikes using the Active Line motor.

I bought a 2018 Trek Verve+ a few weeks ago. I just love it! It has the Bosch Active Line motor with a 400 wh battery.

At first I found the ride uncomfortable on anything but smooth pavement. I upgraded the saddle to one with a bit more cushioning. I increased the amount of travel in the suspension seat post. I also inserted some thin rubber strips at every point the fenders were connected to the bike to eliminate annoying rattles. These changes have made all the difference.

I am wondering what other owner owners are experiencing with maximum range. I am finding that I get about 80 km (50 mi) riding mostly in Tour mode on a combination of good pavement, some bad pavement and the occasional bit of stone dust paths. Conditions are mostly flat with some hills and winds of about 15 kph (9 mph). I use a bit of Sport and Turbo modes on the hills.

I am completely satisfied with the amount of assist I am getting on uphill rides and into stronger headwinds. I tried a bike with the Bosch CX motor and I thought is was too much motor for the kind of riding I do, generally 20-40 km (12-25 mi) rides. The Verve+ is great value for the price, in a well designed Trek product.

I would be interested in hearing from other Verve+ owners about their experience with maximum range. I would also be interested in hearing from owners of other e-bikes using the Active Line motor.

Hello Bob Ottawa,
Welcome and congratulations on your new Trek Verve+, I think you have made an excellent choice. I'm a Trek owner as well and I've been extremely pleased. Trek is a great company with fantastic support.

My thoughts on your questions/comments. You mentioned your seat and seat posts on your bike. I went through a similar process. My Trek ( XM700+) did not have a stock suspension post and it was like sitting on a stump because it is so solid. I opted for a
Cirrus Body Float Seat post http://cirruscycles.com/ and could not be happier.

I have a bad back and the Body Float saved the day. The seat post is not inexpensive, but neither is back surgery : )

Your 50 mile range seems pretty consistent with what I get. My bikes have different motors, the Bosch Performance Line and the Performance CX. I completely agree, about the the Bosch Performance CX motor being too much motor. The CX has a very wide torque range and nearly twice the torque of the Active Line motor on your bike. It sounds like you have the perfect set up for your style of riding.

You asked about the other Trek motors. The Bosch Performance line motor (on the XM700+) is powerful, silky smooth and the bike goes' like the wind'. The Bosch Performance CX ( on the Powerfly7 ) will climb up a brick wall : ) tons of torque. I'm not an off-roader, but it's still so much fun to ride.

Tires.... The Bontrager H5 tires on your bike are perfectly fine and will serve you well, but at some point you may want to consider Schwalbe's
'Flatless' tires. Repairing a rear flat on an e-bike is not fun. https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Plus_HS440

Good luck and welcome to e-biking.

John from CT

Hello Bob Ottawa,
Welcome and congratulations on your new Trek Verve+, I think you have made an excellent choice. I'm a Trek owner as well and I've been extremely pleased. Trek is a great company with fantastic support.

My thoughts on your questions/comments. You mentioned your seat and seat posts on your bike. I went through a similar process. My Trek ( XM700+) did not have a stock suspension post and it was like sitting on a stump because it is so solid. I opted for a
Cirrus Body Float Seat post http://cirruscycles.com/ and could not be happier.

I have a bad back and the Body Float saved the day. The seat post is not inexpensive, but neither is back surgery : )

Your 50 mile range seems pretty consistent with what I get. My bikes have different motors, the Bosch Performance Line and the Performance CX. I completely agree, about the the Bosch Performance CX motor being too much motor. The CX has a very wide torque range and nearly twice the torque of the Active Line motor on your bike. It sounds like you have the perfect set up for your style of riding.

You asked about the other Trek motors. The Bosch Performance line motor (on the XM700+) is powerful, silky smooth and the bike goes' like the wind'. The Bosch Performance CX ( on the Powerfly7 ) will climb up a brick wall : ) tons of torque. I'm not an off-roader, but it's still so much fun to ride.

Tires.... The Bontrager H5 tires on your bike are perfectly fine and will serve you well, but at some point you may want to consider Schwalbe's
'Flatless' tires. Repairing a rear flat on an e-bike is not fun. https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Plus_HS440

Good luck and welcome to e-biking.

John from CT

John, Thanks for your comments on eBike range and your suggestions of tires and suspension seat post.

The XM700+ looks like a nice option with better components than the Verve +. The XM700+ is not sold in Canada. From the specs I assume it is not a Class 1 eBike as it has a top speed of 28 mph vs the 20 mph of the Verve +. Ontario highway traffic regulations limit eBikes to a maximum speed of 32 kph (20 mph).

The Verve+ is proving to be a good entry level eBike.

Cheers!

John, Thanks for your comments on eBike range and your suggestions of tires and suspension seat post.

The XM700+ looks like a nice option with better components than the Verve +. The XM700+ is not sold in Canada. From the specs I assume it is not a Class 1 eBike as it has a top speed of 28 mph vs the 20 mph of the Verve +. Ontario highway traffic regulations limit eBikes to a maximum speed of 32 kph (20 mph).

The Verve+ is proving to be a good entry level eBike.

Cheers!

I didn't realize that Canada had an eBike highway speed limit. I wasn't very familiar with the Verve+ and carefully checked it out on Treks website.

If you used 'entry level' to describe Verve+ price point agreed, to me Trek has built a solid eBike with quality features 'entry bikes' wouldn't have...The adjustable stem, the built in head and tail lights (very cool), Bosch Power System and last but perhaps most important Trek Support. I've had to call on Trek via my LBS for two issues and they were spot on with support. No double talk.

Enjoy,

John from CT

I didn't realize that Canada had an eBike highway speed limit. I wasn't very familiar with the Verve+ and carefully checked it out on Treks website.

If you used 'entry level' to describe Verve+ price point agreed, to me Trek has built a solid eBike with quality features 'entry bikes' wouldn't have...The adjustable stem, the built in head and tail lights (very cool), Bosch Power System and last but perhaps most important Trek Support. I've had to call on Trek via my LBS for two issues and they were spot on with support. No double talk.

Enjoy,

John from CT

I guess 'entry level' applied to the Trek options.

Enjoy,

John from CT

I meant to say "entry level among Trek eBikes."

I now see that EBR lists the Verve+ among it three best mid-drive bikes for 2017-2018!

Back