Trek Support STINKS

GuruUno

Bought a $5k Trek Super Commuter 8+ in June this year, approaching 2k miles, best bike I've ever owned.
Contacted the "mother ship" (Trek National Headquarters) to inquire about how/where to obtain touch-up paint to blob out some very small paint chips.
I was told it don't exist, use fingernail polish.
Quite frankly their advice sucks.
$5k, and no paint code, or any advice other than that!
Absolutely nuts.
In any event, if nobody already has got any or figured it out, please share, alternately I'll have my "specialty" paint matcher blend some, at whatever cost.
In this day and age, it's insane to be treated in such a manner.
You can watch the YouTube video on how they make and paint, you might think they would offer a solution.
Fussy, fussy me, yes, I can and will be.

Not to deviate, but the dealer screwed my paint (chips) on a headlight recall (Ford Focus Electric), and at the end of the day, (ooops, I'm under a non-disclosure agreement, cannot say what they did).
I am very fussy with my cars (had 75), and I too would be extremely pissed if I couldn't get touch pint for a $95k Model S!
Don't want to hijack this bike form with automobile chat, but man....you are one lucky early adopter.
IF things keep going in the electric car industry, I predict that Tesla will be bought by GM....let's see in 2-4 years, we'll revisit this forum/message

Agree to disagree.
Trek's response:
"I couldn’t find any paint information for that frame relative to RAL. However, I did find that the PMS code is 186."
Contacted multiple PMS/RAL paint manufacturers, "PMS (Pantone) is not specific, RAL is more precise"
Life should not be so hard.

IF things keep going in the electric car industry, I predict that Tesla will be bought by GM....let's see in 2-4 years, we'll revisit this forum/message
That would be the absolute WORST thing that could happen to the electric car industry. If GM bought TMC they would certainly close all the open patents, "shelve" the technology, and go back to producing all ICE, and the executive will all vote themselves a big round of bonuses for a job well done.

Last edited:
Of all things to berate a companies support over, this would not be it.
I can understand wanting one's bike to look nice and I respect that...I have no knowledge of what I speak, but Trek my not offer touch up paint
perhaps because their color are proprietary ? Just like the UPS Brown on all their vehicles.

Also as Trek suggested fingernail polish, I've used that product in other situations with great success....I've seen in Treks Q&A section
of certain e-bikes ( XM700+ and PowerFly) Trek mentions to a questioner that touchup paint is not available. Hope this was helpful.

John from CT

No company is likely to make every customer happy, right? GuruUno's disappointment notwithstanding, Trek has earned its reputation, in my view as an owner of several Treks, as a purveyor of fine bicycles and an oustanding source of support for owners.

No company is likely to make every customer happy, right? GuruUno's disappointment notwithstanding, Trek has earned its reputation, in my view as an owner of several Treks, as a purveyor of fine bicycles and an oustanding source of support for owners.

Regarding Treks Customer Service....I can speak of a personal and most recent experience. I took delivery of my Trek Powerfly 7 this past Oct 24th. The bike arrived
at my LBS with the Bosch Intuvia Thumb Control Unit damaged during shipping.

My LBS contacted Trek Parts for a replacement, the controllers were back ordered at least several weeks from the Bosch Distributor. Trek had 10 Powerfly 7s in Waterloo IA and
rather then have me wait for controller units to arrive, they immediately shipped out a second Powerfly 7 from Waterloo to Connecticut, issued a UPS call tag for the return
of the first bike, all shipping paid for by Trek.

It isn't uncommon to see spectrum analyzers in paint stores these days, so getting a color match can happen. The difficult part is getting the right paint. Bikes tend to be powder-coated, which unlike paint is a thermoset polymer. You can get an adequate bond with touch-up paint if it's acrylic lacquer. If sprayed on with an airbrush through a mask [to limit overspray], and then rubbed out, a repair can blend invisibly. It's the same technique high-end car dealerships use to repair lot dings.

Well. Sherman Williams matched the paint, $20/quart.
If anyone needs some, I got enough to paint 5 bikes.

I agree with 'Slomoshun' and believe Treks e-bikes are powder coated or so it sees to me looking at my Trek. Powder Coating is not 'paint' as we know it. Based on Treks reply that they don't provide Touch-up paint makes sense assuming the frames are powder coated. Any touch up 'paint' will not endure anywhere near what powder coating will. Touching up so as not see the scratch is difficult, especially on a matte finish.

John from CT

Back