Trek Super Commuter+8s vs. Trek CrossRip+

jojoboltz

Hello there!

I'm selling the car and buying an Ebike and need your help to choose what to get! I'm a bigger guy at 6'2 255lbs. Weight is going down rapidly, so I'm not worried about limits at this point. I don't want to spend more than about $5000 on just the bike. So, here's my criteria:

1. Reliable and dependable - I currently own a Giant road bike and love it. I like the dealer support from one of the big 3. So, #1 is taken care of by selecting either Trek, Specialized or Giant. Don't like the Specialized Turbo Vado series that much. I do like the Giant Quick-E+, but like Trek's offerings a bit better.

2. Commutable - I will be commuting 3-4 days a week (I work from home 1-2 days a week). 10 miles to the train, and 6 miles from the train to work. 32 miles total round trip on the bike. My 10 mile commute to the train is very flat. My 6 mile commute to the office is a lot of big hills. I've tried on my road bike, and even though it's doable, it's more work than I am wanting to put in before work starts (i.e. shower, etc.). All of this in beautiful San Diego. (Live in Chula Vista. Work in Carlsbad).

3. Useable - Since this will be replacing just my car (we will still have our van) I will be using this to run errands and get places when the van is not available. Most of the time, the bike will either be parked in my office, or in my garage. Occasionally it will need to be locked up in front of a store. Part of usability is comfortability and fit. I like the more aggressive position of these bikes since I currently road bike frequently.

I test rode the Super Commuter, but not the CrossRip yet. I've tested other bikes from Haibike, Bulls, & Riese & Müller. I've preferred the bikes from Giant and Trek.

What I like/don't like about the Super Commuter: It's so comfortable (probably more with an added seat suspension) and very quick up hills. I love the look, and feel great when riding it. It was easy enough to pedal without assist. It felt extremely stable and easy to maneuver around obstacles and traffic. I seriously loved it right away and didn't want to bring it back. What I don't love is the feel of the brakes, but that's a very minor gripe. They have great stopping power and I could get used to the feel if needed. If I wanted to do an extended weekend tour, this wouldn't be the first bike I'd choose. Not that important, but it's a thought.

What I like/don't like about the Trek CrossRip+: I haven't test rode this one, so this is only based on what I've read/watched. I like the road bike feel. I love riding my road bike, and to have something similar would feel very comfortable for me. It seems like the "faster" one of the group. I can see myself flying down the flats in the beginning of my commute. I also really like that I could tour with this one; even a little lite off-road. This is something I would only do about once or twice a year for an extended weekend, so it's nice to have, but not that important in the every day. I don't like having to maneuver around with drop bars in comparison to flat bars. On my commute, I will be with some road traffic for a portion. Navigating through that would probably be easier with a flat bar. Also, I already own a road bike, and this is pretty similar. I guess thats a good and bad thing.

Ultimately, I am wanting something to "replace" my car. Something that I can go to work, and down to the store with. Something I can ride around with the family on. Something that is really fun! We have a van, so big shopping trips and other errands can be done with that. Touring is something that is not a deciding factor for me, but would be a nice addition if it's the right bike. More than anything, I am wanting the right bike for my needs. I'm open to other suggestions as well. I just really like these two. The Trek XM700+ also looks good, but I'm more impressed with the CrossRip+.

So, should I go with the Super Commuter for the perfect commuter bike, or the CrossRip+ for a fast bike with the option to tour?

Thanks for your comments!

I wouldn’t write off the Super Commuter right away as a tourer... I like the bigger tires and the relaxed geometry, and it certainly tough enough. I did six days across the Erie Canal on my xm700+ and it performed great, flat bars and all. The larger tires of the SC would have been nice on those hundreds of miles of stone dust and dirt track through the forests in the middle of the state. My biggest problem with the Super Commuter is it’s a bit too flashy! I’d be terrified to leave it locked anywhere I couldn’t keep an eye on it. If only they made it in the same flat black as the xm.

I’ll be going out again this spring on more multi day trips on the xm, the GAP and who knows what after that.

If you’ve already got the road bike you really like, having something a little different - and more useful on lesser terrain - might be a good way to go. Of course, they’re both great choices, hard to go wrong.

Hello there!

I'm selling the car and buying an Ebike and need your help to choose what to get! I'm a bigger guy at 6'2 255lbs. Weight is going down rapidly, so I'm not worried about limits at this point. I don't want to spend more than about $5000 on just the bike. So, here's my criteria:

1. Reliable and dependable - I currently own a Giant road bike and love it. I like the dealer support from one of the big 3. So, #1 is taken care of by selecting either Trek, Specialized or Giant. Don't like the Specialized Turbo Vado series that much. I do like the Giant Quick-E+, but like Trek's offerings a bit better.

2. Commutable - I will be commuting 3-4 days a week (I work from home 1-2 days a week). 10 miles to the train, and 6 miles from the train to work. 32 miles total round trip on the bike. My 10 mile commute to the train is very flat. My 6 mile commute to the office is a lot of big hills. I've tried on my road bike, and even though it's doable, it's more work than I am wanting to put in before work starts (i.e. shower, etc.). All of this in beautiful San Diego. (Live in Chula Vista. Work in Carlsbad).

3. Useable - Since this will be replacing just my car (we will still have our van) I will be using this to run errands and get places when the van is not available. Most of the time, the bike will either be parked in my office, or in my garage. Occasionally it will need to be locked up in front of a store. Part of usability is comfortability and fit. I like the more aggressive position of these bikes since I currently road bike frequently.

I test rode the Super Commuter, but not the CrossRip yet. I've tested other bikes from Haibike, Bulls, & Riese & Müller. I've preferred the bikes from Giant and Trek.

What I like/don't like about the Super Commuter: It's so comfortable (probably more with an added seat suspension) and very quick up hills. I love the look, and feel great when riding it. It was easy enough to pedal without assist. It felt extremely stable and easy to maneuver around obstacles and traffic. I seriously loved it right away and didn't want to bring it back. What I don't love is the feel of the brakes, but that's a very minor gripe. They have great stopping power and I could get used to the feel if needed. If I wanted to do an extended weekend tour, this wouldn't be the first bike I'd choose. Not that important, but it's a thought.

What I like/don't like about the Trek CrossRip+: I haven't test rode this one, so this is only based on what I've read/watched. I like the road bike feel. I love riding my road bike, and to have something similar would feel very comfortable for me. It seems like the "faster" one of the group. I can see myself flying down the flats in the beginning of my commute. I also really like that I could tour with this one; even a little lite off-road. This is something I would only do about once or twice a year for an extended weekend, so it's nice to have, but not that important in the every day. I don't like having to maneuver around with drop bars in comparison to flat bars. On my commute, I will be with some road traffic for a portion. Navigating through that would probably be easier with a flat bar. Also, I already own a road bike, and this is pretty similar. I guess thats a good and bad thing.

Ultimately, I am wanting something to "replace" my car. Something that I can go to work, and down to the store with. Something I can ride around with the family on. Something that is really fun! We have a van, so big shopping trips and other errands can be done with that. Touring is something that is not a deciding factor for me, but would be a nice addition if it's the right bike. More than anything, I am wanting the right bike for my needs. I'm open to other suggestions as well. I just really like these two. The Trek XM700+ also looks good, but I'm more impressed with the CrossRip+.

So, should I go with the Super Commuter for the perfect commuter bike, or the CrossRip+ for a fast bike with the option to tour?

Thanks for your comments!

You can't go wrong with both.
After riding all kinds of bikes, my preference is slowly moving towards lighter bikes with aerodynamic riding position.
Once a bike crosses 55lbs, you need more powerful drive system to offset the weight and still be nimble. But, the CrossRip+ tips scales at 46lbs and it would be a joy to ride that (if you have a flair for road biking). Having said that SC does provide great stability as well. The best would be rent them both for a day and see which one you like the best. There is simply no substitute for real life experience.

I am probably the last person to give you advice since I was in the same boat a month ago, I loved road bikes but I wanted to use the bike consistently for commuting. I wanted a hardnine but then found a great deal on Cross RC and so far I am in love with it.

I also wanted a road bike like ebike, I was seriously considering Xduro Urban but after some thinking, getting help from great people here and speaking to Court himself, I followed their advice and went for the cross which has front suspension and again so far I am very happy.

IMO ,although sexy, the point of the design of the road bikes is to increase aerodynamics so that you can go faster with your own power. When you have a motor it becomes somewhat pointless. Ebikes are heavy so even if you get a "roadbike" like ebike the ride will be sluggish without the assist. On the other hand, since you already have a motor and it weights a lot, sacrificing suspension and other comfort elements does not make much sense.

Btw Bosch systems are nice, mine is a CX system and it cuts out completely at 20mph (actually it begins to decrease assistance around 18) however today I managed to keep up with a road cyclist while doing 20-21mph. These bikes roll nice once you get up to speed although with the Bosch motor when I am pedaling it without assistance I can somewhat feel a little resistance from the motor. Yamaha may be better if you are fit and planning to ride it without assist(Bosch active line also said to be low resistance when off)

good luck with your search

Thank you all for your comments! They really helped me make a decision.

I have decided to go for the Trek Super Commuter! It's just such a sweet bike. And since I already have my road bike, something different will be nice to have.

Thanks again!

I have the super commuter 8 that i bought 5 mo's ago
I love the bike and can't wait to ride it everyday.
I have a bodyfloat seat post ... a must for me .
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)I ride 7 days a week 30 to 4o miles a day and have not had one problem with the bike.
Good luck

This was exactly my dilemma but I decided on the CrossRip. Picking it up tomorrow from the Trek store.

Back