Trek Super Commuter 8S or the Specialized Vado 6.0

The other thing about Specialized was the bad taste that Specialized discontinued support and parts for the older hub models when they went to the Brose motor. Specialized just didn't care about supporting those customers. They make a great product yes but their core values obviously don't include support.

Yeah, the Old Turbo model from 2015 with the joy stick controller and the rear hub was discontinued. Sad to hear customers cannot get support. Boy, they are in a downward spiral with C/S after being one of the leaders. Not sure what is happening in US corporate right now...

Hi from Denmark!

I'm really unsure which of the two bikes to buy, and I'd like to be pretty well determined before spending +5,000 USD on a speed-pedelec for my daily commute of 32 km (20 miles) each way.

I have test driven the Trek Super Commuter 8S once. Great bike!

And several Specialized bikes including the Vado 6.0. Super fun bike!

My heart prefers the Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 mainly due to the super fun way the engine works together with your own power. It simply amplifies you input in a super-responsive way, so you don't really notice the engine itself. The internal belt drive makes the engine super-silent and almost unnoticeable. Ultimately you don't feel like riding something with an engine, but simply as if you've got super legs! Other plusses are the well integrated battery, and nice quality of the lights, grips etc...

But there is a a fly in the ointment...

When lurking these forums, there seem to be quite a bit of quality issues with the Specialized bikes once they have ridden for some period of time. I'm sure my local bike store will happily help if any issues occur (we do have very good consumer rights in Denmark) but I really like to avoid any inconveniences in the first place.

The Trek Super Commuter 8S is definitely also a nice bike. Looks super nice! However, the ride does not feel as involving compared to the Specialized. I feel the engine helping me a lot, not as if I simply have super legs. The engine is also not quite as responsive at cutting power when I stop pedaling as compared to the Specialized. The engine is audible, although by no means loud, just audible. The Trek is definitely not a bad bike, rather the contrary! But the feel of the ride is very different, and my heart really loves the Specialized.

I'd love to buy the Specialized, but I'm really concerned about the longevity considering all the issues posted in this forum. I'd hate to buy a product that I initially love to ride, but turns out to cause all sorts of troubles. On the other hand I don't have strong feelings for the Trek, which seem just a tad less exiting to ride....

Last edited:
An intuitive post .
Maybe check out other eBike brands in your area that use the Brose mid-drives such as Bulls .

An intuitive post .
Maybe check out other eBike brands in your area that use the Brose mid-drives such as Bulls .

I agree with e-boy. Don''t stop with Trek and Specialized. Seek out more brands with the same criteria and work from there. You may find something in the same category that will surprise you. I also like Trek, however, you may find something that will get you more bike for less $$$. Happy shopping!

I am indeed considering other brands, but so far I haven't found local retailers here in Denmark selling e.g. Bulls. Slower E-bikes is a big thing in this country, and the wast majority use Bosch engines. But speed-pedelecs are quite new and not widespread. Most retailers are not selling these. Even if they are, they are not in stock an cannot be test driven - which is an absolute must for me! Specialized and Trek are well established and have several dealers and bikes to try.

As for my worries about Specialized issues I might be overreacting.

Seems that the Bulls issues (also using Brose engines like specialized) are sharing similar issues.

Even Bosch issues seem to exist, although the Trek milage post seem full of happy Trek owners.

Guess no E-bike is perfect...

I am indeed considering other brands, but so far I haven't found local retailers here in Denmark selling e.g. Bulls. Slower E-bikes is a big thing in this country, and the wast majority use Bosch engines. But speed-pedelecs are quite new and not widespread. Most retailers are not selling these. Even if they are, they are not in stock an cannot be test driven - which is an absolute must for me! Specialized and Trek are well established and have several dealers and bikes to try.

As for my worries about Specialized issues I might be overreacting.

Seems that the Bulls issues (also using Brose engines like specialized) are sharing similar issues.

Even Bosch issues seem to exist, although the Trek milage post seem full of happy Trek owners.

Guess no E-bike is perfect...

I have and ride two Trek eBikes. An XM700+ Commuter and a Powerfly7 mtb, combined miles 4200 with zero problems in a year and a half.

Back