Trek Powerfly 5 FS 2021

So between the Bulls Iconic, Trek FS 9 and Moustache Semedi 27 who is going to be the winner. These are the 3 bikes I am considering.

#1. Which one could I get soonest in Palm Springs CA? I noticed my LBS is listed as a Trek dealer
#2. Which one will be the most dependable
#3. Which one has the best reputation as far as warranty?
#4. Is the Frey CC really in this league?
I would say the Trek would likely be quickest to get seeing as you have a Trek dealer close by and I believe they have a main warehouse in Southern CA. When I got my allant it came from there and got to be dealer in like 2 days, this assuming it is in stock. However, The Bulls and Moustache are already released so They may already be in stock so this may be a wash. I can’t say which is more dependable but if you have a problem, generally the Trek will be easier to get service and warranty stuff done due to the abundance of dealers everywhere.

Very unique offering from Trek and I think this will be a popular model among their lineup.
Offers tremendous versatility.

Riese & Muller Delite GT Touring 6,909.00 $

1600059719286.png

another rugged commuter ...
... but it's not a 29er , not class 3

Moustache Samedi 27 Xroad 5 FS 2020 , $5,599.00

View attachment 65263

That swoopy top tube makes me cringe. Literally.

I hate all these bikes with racks that use the mudguard as a structural member. It looks cool and trendy, but it is also idiotic design.

I hate all these bikes with racks that use the mudguard as a structural member. It looks cool and trendy, but it is also idiotic design.
It’s not the fender that is the structural member. The fender is attached to the hidden structural member, as is the rack and the lighting. I think it’s a solid design, at least on my Trek Allant+7. Why do you think it’s idiotic?
87665D9E-AC7A-4B09-89A7-6BCED9E5D75E.jpeg

But the hidden structural member is a part of the fender, isn't it? Say I wanted the rack on the bike, but not the fender. If I can't do that, to me that is not good design. Also, the racks like the one shown on the R&M that I have also seen on some Treks, you cannot use a rack trunk...you're stuck with using panniers. More looks-cools-but-less-functional design. I hate that.

It's right up there with cables running through frames. I get that it looks nice, and it could be argued that it protects the cables somewhat, but when it comes to to replace cables/housing/hydraulic lines, the entry and exit points are often badly designed and makes a formerly quick and easy repair into often a nightmare. You end up paying for fashion over function.

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying but I wouldn't want to use a rack without fenders in most cases. I also agree about some of the Trek racks like the Allant 8 with the fender sticking out above the rack. Not a fan.
I’m not worried about the cables. It’s very rare that ive ever had to replace them so I have to hope they’ll “see me through” as some of us old guys like to say.

Back