Trek domane+ lights permanently on / won't turn off

Junkwhale

Region
New Zealand
I bought a 2022 Trek Domane+ HP with kiox display a couple of days ago. When I went to pick it up the only issue is the lighting (front headlight, red taillights) switch on when you turn the bike on - and then don't turn off.

The light button (right one on the kiox- one of only two so hard to miss) doesn't do anything - doesn't turn it on or off. The physical button does seem to work though, as when you long press it for 5sec it does initiate Bluetooth pairing (which it should according to the manual).

The mechanic in the shop is doing some research and going to check with Trek.

Has anyone had anything like this? Is it a mode or something to meet regulatory requirements in some regions or something? Does anyone else have one where the light DOES turn off? (I'm assuming since there's a button it's not always like this...)

Trek is most likely requiring the lights be on whenever the bike is powered on. They do this in the firmware. A dealer may be able to change this, but I doubt it.

Trek is most likely requiring the lights be on whenever the bike is powered on. They do this in the firmware. A dealer may be able to change this, but I doubt it.
ya it depends on the dealer mine would fix it but I ant it on always.

It will not shut off unless the bike is powered off. The light button should give you a brighter headlight though if you push it.

It will not shut off unless the bike is powered off. The light button should give you a brighter headlight though if you push it.
I finally had a full dark night ride on an unlit path with the trek light on our tandem it works great.

Definitely something the bike shop can change when connected to their computer. Seems it defaults to this way from the factory to insure compliance with the law in some countries and maybe for general safety, but if they were worried about that (Bosch or Trek), I guess they would have also designed it so it can have a flashing mode.

Before you take it back, check the firmware for 3 things: Kiox display unit, Bosch motor, and also Battery. The Kiox you should be able to update from a phone connection, at least later versions of firmware allow update in this way so make sure you can update it.

Things to consider asking the shop to change:

0. If you pay to enable the Bosch security feature, turn it off before going to shop or they can't do any of the following.
1. Firmware update for motor and battery to latest
2. Enable light control
3. Enable "Walk Mode" (no harm to have it enabled, and is helpful at times)
4. Disable maintenance reminder (they either disable or can set to some huge max mileage)

You cannot reset the reminder, so if you do your own basic maintenance (change brake pads, etc.) you will want this turned off or it will annoy you every time you turn the bike on.

Definitely something the bike shop can change when connected to their computer. Seems it defaults to this way from the factory to insure compliance with the law in some countries and maybe for general safety, but if they were worried about that (Bosch or Trek), I guess they would have also designed it so it can have a flashing mode.

Before you take it back, check the firmware for 3 things: Kiox display unit, Bosch motor, and also Battery. The Kiox you should be able to update from a phone connection, at least later versions of firmware allow update in this way so make sure you can update it.

Things to consider asking the shop to change:

0. If you pay to enable the Bosch security feature, turn it off before going to shop or they can't do any of the following.
1. Firmware update for motor and battery to latest
2. Enable light control
3. Enable "Walk Mode" (no harm to have it enabled, and is helpful at times)
4. Disable maintenance reminder (they either disable or can set to some huge max mileage)

You cannot reset the reminder, so if you do your own basic maintenance (change brake pads, etc.) you will want this turned off or it will annoy you every time you turn the bike on.
Thanks all, esp this - very helpful.

Re: Kiox update from phone - can you definitely do this on a 22 Domane+ HP? I couldn't see how in the 'eBike Connect' app. The newer app looks like it's possible, not sure if that's compatible with this though...

Thanks all, esp this - very helpful.

Re: Kiox update from phone - can you definitely do this on a 22 Domane+ HP? I couldn't see how in the 'eBike Connect' app. The newer app looks like it's possible, not sure if that's compatible with this though...
you need to have the kiox connected to wifi then go to settings on the kiox menu think its been awhile since I had one but I think its the same as the nyon.

Back