Trek Domane HP+ end of Dec 2021 update

Lefkop

So as an update to my Domane HP+ experience, the bike now has 8432 miles on it, this year I have climbed almost 500K feet. The bike has been essentially flawless in operation. I indeed did have shifting cable failure and some early on battery sitting issues. I did purchase a second battery full battery, not the black snap on one, but a full body one to take if I am going to be on longer trips on my rear rack. I rarely take two batteries unless I know there will be big elevations and distances (like 8000 feet and 100 miles or more).

With regards to battery, the original battery has lost some of its power, I does go quickly from 97 % (it wont charge to 100% now) to around 89 percent. Bosch has said this in normal over the number of charge cycles that it has been through. I would like to find out if cells can be replaced, but Trek/Bosch apparently don't do that type of work. So there we are. From a distance perspective I can still get about 50 miles or so out the battery with eco, but its dependent on terrain, which around me is not flat. My rides are usually 1.5-2.5 hours and an average speed about 18 mph. I often ride with the bike off (about 70 percent of the time). A ride from my house up and over mountains and back again (usually around 5600 feet) in around 45 miles results in me using about 70 -75% of the power. just to put things in perspective.

Now for a biggie, about 3 weeks ago I had Trek install a goatlink / wolftooth with a new cassette for improved hill climbing ability. WOW what a difference. 11-46T now sits on the bike. The Domane is now so much more efficient for me to ride, which means improved battery performance. This is pretty cheap swap of parts about 200 dollars with installation and I am able to climb stuff where I had to use eco before and now its not problem. I live in Southern California and go up and though the Santa Monica Mts all the time. For me this is a great update and wish I had learned about it earlier. With that in mind, If you're not concerned about speed, one could consider a smaller front chain ring too.

To sum up as the Domane HP+ continues to be a joy to ride and I have no reservations on recommending the bike for fitness, recreational riding or commuting. Its a great piece of kit.

my battery still reads 100% after 13,000 miles. but it has lost a few miles I think on my commute.
Wow 🤩 that’s an awesome amount of riding! Congrats brother! If I do a reset it will register 100 percent, but it drops immediately, and before ya know it it’s at 92 percent …. In under 10 min when in eco mode. My other battery does not have this issue just yet. How far do commute each day with the bike? I would love to as well but we don’t have showers or a place to store it when I get there.

20 miles a day. I got 18,000 miles in two years between commuting and our e tandem. I get to 92% about 1 mile from home now.

20 miles a day. I got 18,000 miles in two years between commuting and our e tandem. I get to 92% about 1 mile from home now.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Are you up and down hills a lot too? 92 percent is really good. I just checked my bike; it’s been plugged in and unused for a few days, as I used my analog bike last week, the Domane is sitting at 96 percent.
I included here some photos of the new cassette for hills, it really helps to decrease battery usage.

Attachments

• 127F797A-1164-48B1-92B3-2CB98021480C.jpeg
    127F797A-1164-48B1-92B3-2CB98021480C.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 281
  • BA771C5B-57C0-454D-BA81-06B6F121D8C2.jpeg
    BA771C5B-57C0-454D-BA81-06B6F121D8C2.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 274
Now for a biggie, about 3 weeks ago I had Trek install a goatlink / wolftooth with a new cassette for improved hill climbing ability. WOW what a difference. 11-46T now sits on the bike. The Domane is now so much more efficient for me to ride, which means improved battery performance. This is pretty cheap swap of parts about 200 dollars with installation and I am able to climb stuff where I had to use eco before and now its not problem. I live in Southern California and go up and though the Santa Monica Mts all the time. For me this is a great update and wish I had learned about it earlier. With that in mind, If you're not concerned about speed, one could consider a smaller front chain ring too.
Lefkop,

This is a very exciting update to hear that it is working well. As Bosch won't allow motor assist tuning with the Kiox, I have to go out of ECO mode when climbing in the 42T (depending on the hill), but then I have more power than my fellow riders and go too fast. I think the 46T in the rear will help me balance this out for a wider range of situations.

Do you hear any grinding when in the 46T rear cog?

Do you have in trouble shifting into the 46T from the 37T which is the next (big step) cog down?

Thanks for reporting on this.

Lefkop,

This is a very exciting update to hear that it is working well. As Bosch won't allow motor assist tuning with the Kiox, I have to go out of ECO mode when climbing in the 42T (depending on the hill), but then I have more power than my fellow riders and go too fast. I think the 46T in the rear will help me balance this out for a wider range of situations.

Do you hear any grinding when in the 46T rear cog?

Do you have in trouble shifting into the 46T from the 37T which is the next (big step) cog down?

Thanks for reporting on this.
Hi nope there is no grinding and shifting is fine, perhaps a little less refined but that’s really subjective. I haven’t had any issues honestly. Now I want to find a way to get a bigger gear on my 2009 Roubaix 😂.

I haven't been on my Domane HP since December but yesterday it was sunny and 51 F so I thought why not. The snow melting had put quite a bit of water on the roads so had to do clean up afterword but it was so good to be on the bike. I did about 17.5 miles and it just reminded me on how great this bike is. I cannot wait until spring actually gets here and I can start riding every week.

Back