Trek apparently no longer selling to independent dealers

rob feature

Region
USA
City
Greenwood Village, Colorado
So I took my Allant down to LBS today for its first checkup and got an unpleasant surprise. About a month after I bought the bike, they stopped being a Trek dealer. When inquiring as to why, I was told that Trek was moving to Trek only stores so that they could better control their inventory and dealer network. Apparently, Trek tried to buy this small chain of 3 shops and they refused. They were however absorbed by the entity that owns Mike's Bikes recently so maybe that had something to do with it?

Anyway, it makes things awful inconvenient for me because I now have to use a Trek dealer that didn't sell me the bike. I can go to the shop that sold me the bike for Bosch issues, but the second a Trek part gets involved I'm hosed - they can't get parts from Trek. Frame issues - they can't touch it. Maybe it will be a good experience - who knows? Time will tell. But going to 2 shops to service the same bike is ridiculous.

If this does turn out to be the fiasco I assume it will, I guess this is my last Trek. It'll go up for sale when it warms up 'cause ain't nobody got time for that.

Or am I getting this all wrong? I only got this info from one source. Anybody else got an inside line on this?

that sucks but for the most part there are no trek parts really. two only one I can think of maybe is the speed sensor its Bosch but its made for trek.

that sucks but for the most part there are no trek parts really. two only one I can think of maybe is the speed sensor its Bosch but its made for trek.
Yeah this seems like making a mountain from a molehill... Very rare that you'd have to replace a frame and there's little else only Trek would provide.

There are interface pieces in the motor and battery department. But yeah, other than the frame, they're all 3rd party.

Yeah this seems like making a mountain from a molehill... Very rare that you'd have to replace a frame and there's little else only Trek would provide.

I had a bottle boss pull out of the frame. This isn't something that's covered by the shop. I have to take this to a Trek dealer and let them find the time to fix that. After the OG shop finishes their thing. I may have a bad bearing in the motor which will apparently require some number of parts that won't allow OG shop to do the work. I have a service agreement with the shop that probably won't apply a Trek dealer.

I had a bottle boss pull out of the frame. This isn't something that's covered by the shop. I have to take this to a Trek dealer and let them find the time to fix that. After the OG shop finishes their thing. I may have a bad bearing in the motor which will apparently require some number of parts that won't allow OG shop to do the work. I have a service agreement with the shop that probably won't apply a Trek dealer.
If you have a bad bearing in the motor then the motor gets replaced. there is no local fix for bearings. if its on warranty then Bosch will pay for it. that should happen at your original shop. the only trek parts I can think of besides the frame are the battery cover or the extended battery mount. ya I forgot there is some special pieces to mount the battery but its not like your going to be replacing those.

If you have a bad bearing in the motor then the motor gets replaced. there is no local fix for bearings. if its on warranty then Bosch will pay for it. that should happen at your original shop. the only trek parts I can think of besides the frame are the battery cover or the extended battery mount. ya I forgot there is some special pieces to mount the battery but its not like your going to be replacing those.

Sure, yeah, sounds simple right? But without saying exactly what those parts would be, the wrench pointed at the bolts holding the motor to the frame.

Maybe Asher is right. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Then again it depends on perspective. It's an hour round trip in my truck each time I visit one of these shops - best case scenario. The reason I got this thing is to stay out of my truck. It hurts my inner hippie :)

The other thing nagging me here is that if all that is right, then Trek is only going to sell Trek in Trek stores. Pardon me if I find that offensively boring, but I find that offensively boring :)

Sure, yeah, sounds simple right? But without saying exactly what those parts would be, the wrench pointed at the bolts holding the motor to the frame.

Maybe Asher is right. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Then again it depends on perspective. It's an hour round trip in my truck each time I visit one of these shops - best case scenario. The reason I got this thing is to stay out of my truck. It hurts my inner hippie :)

The other thing nagging me here is that if all that is right, then Trek is only going to sell Trek in Trek stores. Pardon me if I find that offensively boring, but I find that offensively boring :)
We had this small local franchise shift over from trek and others to being trek stores. they kept the same people and their service has been pretty good. you can order a to of parts from trek its self too. I went to trek because the store is so close and I could use my external battery as an extended battery and to have to buy another internal battery. it would have cost less to get a diamond bak or another bulls. but then I would have had to get another battery.

My LBS (3 shops) in Richmond VA sold me two Treks and have now been bought by Specialized. The manager assured me I could still get work done there though they would, if necessary, depend on friends at a Trek dealer, and if Bosch related they have a former mechanic who is now a Rep for them. Still I’m noticing problems with their new ordering systems…same good people…centralized software.
The trend is not the consumer’s friend

Still I’m noticing problems with their new ordering systems…same good people…centralized software.
The trend is not the consumer’s friend

Oh man, at work, we're suffering the merger of 2 once-great vendors who collectively can't tie theirs or their friends' shoes.

I'll assume best case scenario though...bike's out of my hands for a month or so. I'll just drive every day. I'm fortunate to have that option. All things fixed will be a minimum of 2 hours driving in angry traffic, an hour or 2 talking to wrenches (which I always enjoy), and burning enough petroleum to make 2 pairs of parachute pants.

Happened here about 2 years ago. A Trek store came in and the local sport/bicycle store stopped selling them. Trek store is great. I doubt if the Trek shop will order in Bosch motor parts, Bosch usually sends a new motor.

OG LBS thinks my motor is fine, but refuses to work on my fork. The preload adjuster has been stuck since new - never budged. So they called me up on the phone and told me the bike was ready to pick up. They said they did not find any issues with the motor. But said they can't work on the fork even though they told me on the initial visit the only thing they could not work on is the frame or Trek parts. The fork is a Suntour.

When I got the bike back, they indeed did try to work on the fork and bunged up the adjuster with some sort of tool. I guess they just got fed up with it and decided it wasn't worth their time. So now to get this thing to a Trek store & see if they'll fix the fork.

They did fix the bottle boss, which they said they could not do. So that's good, but I'm getting a different story every time I talk to them regarding what they can and cannot do. While I try to support LBS, I'm being reminded why I learned to build and repair bikes myself.

I'll report back after talking to the Trek store, which will probably be some time close to February.

Just found out e-bikes have zero value if you'd like to trade up at a Trek store.

I never suspected I'd find used bikes at the Trek store. Hardly see them anywhere except for small or specialty shops.

Bikes are never a good financial investment anyway unless they replace a car. But they're great investments in mental/physical health, overall happiness, style points (or not, lol), transportation diversity, fun, bla bla bla.

I suspect the coming year will be a good one to buy a bike, although not so good to sell one. Some percentage of folks who bought them during rona are going to unload them. Bike shop sales will slump to some degree as we endure this recession. Every shop I've been into lately has been stuffed to the gills. As long as the inventory is in place I'd expect to see 30% sales or better in shops along with fire sales in the used market.

Back