Trek Alliant +7S *8S vs Specialized Vado 4 or 5

B

BarryS

Is there anyone with Specialized vs Trek Experience : Motor noise But mainly Curious on Geometry differences in Comfort and agility

The Allant and the Vado were on my short list as well. I test rode the Allant 7s and 8s (multiple times) and the Vado 4 (multiple times). All are really great bikes. I don't think you will be disappointed with any of those.

The Vado is quieter (virtually silent) than the Allant. I did not like the 40 tooth chain ring on the 4.0. The Vado 5.0 is superior to the 4.0 since the 5.0 includes a more powerful motor (Specialized 1.3/Brose S), 600 Wh battery, XT/SLX groupset, and a more appropriately (IMHO) geared 48-tooth chain ring. But the 5.0 is also $850 more than the 4.0 (in the US).

I think the Vado geometry places the rider in a bit more of an "aggressive" posture (i.e., more forward leaning) than the Allant. The Allant has a bit more of a relaxed geometry (i.e., slightly more upright), but it is not a cruiser or a vertical bolt-upright posture by any means. I would classify it as sporty-comfortable. Geometry is very personal and a tricky thing to read or analyze on the internet. I believe you really need to take a test ride to truly assess a bike's geometry and how it fits the individual. I didn't notice significant difference in agility between either. Neither is as agile as a lightweight analog MTB bike or a BMX bike.

I ended up with an Allant because I just liked the feel of the bike and how it fit my body, I loved the power distribution of the gen 4 Bosch motor, the gearing was perfect (for me), the brakes are top notch, it ticked all my criteria, and it was priced in between the Vado 4.0 and 5.0. It was really the (multiple) test rides that lead me to decide the Allant was the one for me. But this might be different for you. As I said before, both are really nice bikes! Have fun!

I rode the Vado 4.0 and the Allant+ 7s many times and I loved them both. Whichever one I was riding was my favorite! I did end up deciding on the Allant+ 7s . It seemed to fit me really well. Each bike had something I liked. I loved the silent motor on the Specialized and I really wanted the Mission Control. I also really liked both lbs. I have put almost 200 miles on it in about 2 weeks. I have taken it on some really rough rides and it handles beautifully. I think you would be happy with either choice! They are both great bikes.

I didn't ride the Vado 5, it might have easily swung me towards Specialized. The Allant was at the top of my comfort range for price. I also really like the look of the stagger frame on the Trek.

I rode the Vado 4.0 and the Allant+ 7s many times and I loved them both. Whichever one I was riding was my favorite! I did end up deciding on the Allant+ 7s . It seemed to fit me really well. Each bike had something I liked. I loved the silent motor on the Specialized and I really wanted the Mission Control. I also really liked both lbs. I have put almost 200 miles on it in about 2 weeks. I have taken it on some really rough rides and it handles beautifully. I think you would be happy with either choice! They are both great bikes.
I ran into a Friend who I hadn't seen in years on teh Trails : He was Riding a Como 4 that he'd taken the Fenders off of. He had a Rear rack that mounted to the Frame : Como had places to mount the Rack Support Tubes : It was a Gravel Rode . So when he offered to let me take it for a spin > I didn't take it to top speed > I didn't want to accidentally wipe out on loose gravel with someone else's New Bike.

He also has a Redshift Sports Seatpost : I was in Sport Mode : At least I think that's what it was called > Whatever it was it was 1 step lower then Turbo. I rode a mile down the trail and back. WOW what a blast : I was up to 19 MPH easily on the 1/4 mile straightway: In Pictures the Como Looks like it would set way lower then the Alliant and Vado > I have to say it didn't feel like it : The Size was XL > Which fit me Pretty well in the Men's Frame

I hadn't been considering this Como Model : After Riding one I have to say I was Impressed : I do however think Trek's are better looking Bikes :

I have not tried teh Trek with Bosch gen 4 . So I have no comparison with Noise from the Motor. This Como was super quiet : Plus when on it I didn't feel like I was pumping away to move a Heavy Bike :

Can someone Shed some light on How Noisy the Bosch Gen 4 Motor is

Can someone Shed some light on How Noisy the Bosch Gen 4 Motor is

It's not that noisy at all, but it is noisier than the Brose motor on the Vado (which is practically inaudible). The Brose uses a belt drive in the motor interior, which keeps it surprisingly quiet.

I would describe it as a noticeable hum at slower speeds rather than noisy. Most of the time I don't even notice the sound from the Bosch gen 4 motor. I only notice it when pedaling at a high cadence at high power (sport or turbo). For example, when going up a hill pedaling fast in the higher power modes you can hear the motor humming because you are generally going slower uphill and the wind noise doesn't overcome the motor noise. At higher speeds the wind noise is generally louder than the motor sound and I don't notice the motor in those faster situations even if I'm pedaling in Turbo.

The motor sound doesn't bother me because I have no need to pedal super stealthy. But if you want to pedal with as little sound as possible the Brose might be a better choice.

It's not that noisy at all, but it is noisier than the Brose motor on the Vado (which is practically inaudible). The Brose uses a belt drive in the motor interior, which keeps it surprisingly quiet.

I would describe it as a noticeable hum at slower speeds rather than noisy. Most of the time I don't even notice the sound from the Bosch gen 4 motor. I only notice it when pedaling at a high cadence at high power (sport or turbo). For example, when going up a hill pedaling fast in the higher power modes you can hear the motor humming because you are generally going slower uphill and the wind noise doesn't overcome the motor noise. At higher speeds the wind noise is generally louder than the motor sound and I don't notice the motor in those faster situations even if I'm pedaling in Turbo.

The motor sound doesn't bother me because I have no need to pedal super stealthy. But if you want to pedal with as little sound as possible the Brose might be a better choice.
Thanks : It also seems to me Specialized have more problems : Or at least in this forum I see more complaints of issues : I'm leaning more towards Trek because it appears to be a better geometry for me

I’m still loving my Allant+7 after almost 600 miles. Only change I might make is a quality suspension handlebar stem as I have a really bum shoulder. The motor is certainly audible but I don’t even notice it anymore and it climbs any hills I’ve encountered easily.
B74E446E-9F50-4889-A016-FA57FEEB178D.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a Super Commuter +8S (2 of them), good bikes. I had an Allant +9S, OK bike. I had an Allant +7S eh, so so bike.
I now have a Turbo Vado 5 for approximately a little over 6 weeks and almost 1,000 miles.
Having had the bikes I've had and have as well as 2 previous iZip E3 Peak bikes, I can say hands down, the Specialized e-bike to ME so far is the best one I've had.
Sure, I read here and there about the problems with this bike and that bike and to ME it seems like there is no 'perfect' zero issue e-bike, but given MY 1st hand experience, all I can contribute to the conversation is that at this stage of ownership of the multiple bikes, I'd in a heartbeat buy another Specialized.
Does that mean that even if I have any problems down the road I'll feel the same?
That will remain to be seen, as I can attest to the fact that Trek went far and beyond for me to accommodate my needs, complaints and did so in a timely manner....almost......., up to a point (Covid being the culprit).
My ONLY long term concern with Specialized is if they will be as responsive IF need be.
Again, time will tell.

I had a Super Commuter +8S (2 of them), good bikes. I had an Allant +9S, OK bike. I had an Allant +7S eh, so so bike.
I now have a Turbo Vado 5 for approximately a little over 6 weeks and almost 1,000 miles.
Having had the bikes I've had and have as well as 2 previous iZip E3 Peak bikes, I can say hands down, the Specialized e-bike to ME so far is the best one I've had.
Sure, I read here and there about the problems with this bike and that bike and to ME it seems like there is no 'perfect' zero issue e-bike, but given MY 1st hand experience, all I can contribute to the conversation is that at this stage of ownership of the multiple bikes, I'd in a heartbeat buy another Specialized.
Does that mean that even if I have any problems down the road I'll feel the same?
That will remain to be seen, as I can attest to the fact that Trek went far and beyond for me to accommodate my needs, complaints and did so in a timely manner....almost......., up to a point (Covid being the culprit).
My ONLY long term concern with Specialized is if they will be as responsive IF need be.
Again, time will tell.
Sounds like you have gone thru a lot of Bikes in a short period of Time : What does the eh so so bike for the Alliant +7S mean exactly

Well, it just to me felt like the cheaper version of the Allant 9. (which of course it is)
Surely it is by quite a sum, and although the quality of the components make up that difference, the difference of the 'feel' from aluminum 7 to the carbon 9 just made if feel a little odd.
The primary reason for that acquisition was for the suspension fork, as I'm no fan of the carbon fork on the Allant 9, and the tons of $$ to make the Allant 9 what it 'should' be.
Now, it the Allant + 8S equaled all the components of a 9 +S and being aluminum, it's a no brainer for $1800 less.
I think we'll be seeing prices for e-bikes start leveling off to an acceptable level next spring.
Not many people want to spend more than $3k so if you spend $4, $5, $6 k + expectations (mine anyway) are that it should be a value based purchase with a configuration you want.
When all is said and done, I just think that the Allant was the Edsel of Trek this year and hopefully something better is forthcoming.
And I'm not attemting to piss off anyone who is an Allant owner, my opinions and expressions are just that, my 2 cents.

Well, it just to me felt like the cheaper version of the Allant 9. (which of course it is)
Surely it is by quite a sum, and although the quality of the components make up that difference, the difference of the 'feel' from aluminum 7 to the carbon 9 just made if feel a little odd.
The primary reason for that acquisition was for the suspension fork, as I'm no fan of the carbon fork on the Allant 9, and the tons of $$ to make the Allant 9 what it 'should' be.
Now, it the Allant + 8S equaled all the components of a 9 +S and being aluminum, it's a no brainer for $1800 less.
I think we'll be seeing prices for e-bikes start leveling off to an acceptable level next spring.
Not many people want to spend more than $3k so if you spend $4, $5, $6 k + expectations (mine anyway) are that it should be a value based purchase with a configuration you want.
When all is said and done, I just think that the Allant was the Edsel of Trek this year and hopefully something better is forthcoming.
And I'm not attemting to piss off anyone who is an Allant owner, my opinions and expressions are just that, my 2 cents.
My concern with the Vado Is geometry vs The Alliant : I'm 6'0 tall : The Allaint supposedly has the Trek Dual Sport Geometry . Which fits me Good : Having no way in My State to test one of these : I'm stuck ordering online I see the Vado are still in stock on the website in the Large and X-large I've also considered the COMO

I did it! Traded in my Verve+3 for a new Allant +7S Stagger in blue (grey is back ordered until mid to late November). Can’t wait. My LBS will move over my upgraded pedals, mirror, and bell at no charge. Great shop (Broken Spoke) here in Santa Fe. I’ll keep you posted. I had 900 miles on the Verve in 4 months.

I’m still loving my Allant+7 after almost 600 miles. Only change I might make is a quality suspension handlebar stem as I have a really bum shoulder. The motor is certainly audible but I don’t even notice it anymore and it climbs any hills I’ve encountered easily.
View attachment 64559
I’m quite happy with my allant too. For me it’s checked all the boxes and then some. Total freedom and I get to enjoy the great outdoors, something I didn’t always get to do when I lived in NYC for so many years. My allant was a solid stalwart throughout the very dark days of the pandemic in NYC and helped me get my mind off what was going on around me. It never let me down, never left me stranded and never required an unplanned trip to the local Trek store (that ended up getting looted during the riots) hopefully that reliability will continue.

Now I’ve returned back home and my allant came with me to my native Xios,Greece. It’s big for a Greek island so I’m lucky there is a very competent e-bike shop here that’s doing tremendous business. E-Bikes and micro-mobility in general definitely are going to continue to grow world-wide. We EBR members are the early adopters but within another year or so e-bikes will become full mainstream if they haven’t already. Good stuff. I left my Bosch 625 battery with my brother who is still in NYC (had to purchase another one in Athens since freight-forwarder refused to ship it) working the now struggling business we started 2 decades ago. So if anyone here is interested in purchasing an almost new Bosch 625 for way below market value PM me and we'll work out a very attractive price. Everyone here has been very helpful to me and I learned a lot about ebikes from many of you so it would be nice to pay it forward.

Attachments

• 479ECD7A-2A96-4CB0-8433-8A38009EE915.jpeg
    479ECD7A-2A96-4CB0-8433-8A38009EE915.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 622
  • 7E8636E1-90B1-464E-8AC5-C0B28986FDA5.jpeg
    7E8636E1-90B1-464E-8AC5-C0B28986FDA5.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 585
  • 726DD1A1-3F9E-4A97-A74E-818B0296B663.jpeg
    726DD1A1-3F9E-4A97-A74E-818B0296B663.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Back