Travel Covers on a Bike Rack

Pop

I am hoping to strap my bikes on a rack off the back of my truck with a small camper on it.
I am concerned about the dirt and moisture that could coat the ebikes. Has anyone used or had any experience with bike travel covers? My experience has been lmited to my motorcycle and I found they tended to come apart and wear the finish on the bike with all the flapping in the slipstream.

This is a frequent topic of discussion. You might try looking at these posts:

I can share the fact that this past annual Michigan to Florida trek we made recently, was the most miserable one yet. It rained most of the way down. Our 2 bikes were uncovered on a utility trailer pulled by our medium size SUV (at freeway speeds). I did remove the batteries to make sure they stayed dry, but there was no other protection.

They arrived reasonably clean and fully functional. I will be servicing the chains soon though. FWIW, -Al

FWIW, I've carried my ebikes in the open bed of my pickup truck for 2 years now. I've logged several thousand miles this way through all kinds of weather. All I do is remove the battery & seatpost and cover the handlebars. I cover the open downtube with a vinyl cap to keep out moisture. I learned to do this from talking to a fellow biker in a trail parking lot. He had trouble with the torque sensor on his ebike when water worked it's way into the downtube past the seatpost clamp and into the bottom bracket. Corrosion caused the sensor to fail.

Every bike is different though so it might be a good idea to see what the maker of your bike suggests.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've carried my ebikes in the open bed of my pickup truck for 2 years now. I've logged several thousand miles this way through all kinds of weather. All I do is remove the battery & seatpost and cover the handlebars. I cover the open downtube with a vinyl cap to keep out moisture. I learned to do this from talking to a fellow biker in a trail parking lot. He had trouble with the torque sensor on his ebike when water worked it's way into the downtube past the seatpost clamp and into the bottom bracket. Corrosion caused the sensor to fail.

Every bike is different though so it might be a good idea to see what the maker of your bike suggests.
Thanks! I suspected there might be other threads but was not sure how to access them.
Seems conventional wisdom is to leave them uncovered but protect sensitive bits.

Back