Transporting Radrover 5

foster1

Region
USA
Hello all, I’m looking for transport options for a Radrover 5. I have a full size pick up with a diamondback tonneau cover on it. The cover is made of aluminum and can hold up to 1600lbs. It looks like viable hitch mounted racks are few and far between due to the weight of the the RR5. I can screw mounts into the aluminum cover if a fork mounted option is easy for this bike. I know very little about transporting bikes in this manner. And I don’t have a RR5 yet. Other than the issue of lifting the bike up top, will a fork mount work for the RR5? If so any thoughts on what size bracket I would need?

Last edited:
Have you checked out 1up super duty platform bike racks? They are a little expensive, can hold 75lbs per slot (up to three 75lbs ebikes w/ attachments), and it is probably one of the best looking bike racks around. I gave up trying to lift my 16 Radrover more that foot off the ground because they are so bulky, tail heavy, hard to grab for a balance lift, and very hard to lift that high without a 2nd person.

Last edited:
I tend to agree that lifting it up is the biggest challenge. These bikes are not only heavy, but extra awkward since the weight is distributed so unevenly. The fork should be completely fine with a front wheel block, as that is how most of them ship from the factory anyway. Hydraulic brakes are a small consideration to convenience, and if you don't pop a shim i there when the front wheel comes off, you can inadvertently squeeze the caliper shut and it's a pain to back it off for reassembly. Just a consideration that will save a couple of expletive-laced frustrations at the trail head.

There really are quite a few hitch options for these bikes, and if you search around here there are several threads on ebike hitch alternatives. But if you really do want to go for the tonneau option (and there are good reasons for it, like freeing up the hitch for a trailer when camping, etc.), I might suggest a tray rack like the Yakima Front Loader. I used to have a slightly lifted F150 with a Lund fiberglass tonneau (wood core) that I mounted a full Yakima round bar rack onto. I had two Yakima front loaders, and they were much easier to roll a heavy bike into than any other system I had tried. Since the tray helped guide the wheel, and the tilt up brace automatically closed on the tire, it was a simple as rolling the bike forward until it stopped. I could do it standing on the tail gate quite easily with a couple of 40+lb full suspension downhill bikes - the Rad 5 is probably ~60lb with the battery removed? The system was solid and it kept my tailgate free to open, and my hitch free to haul.

But before you buy anything, get the bike and make sure your back will be happy with that approach first. ;-)

Whoa a tonneau that supports 1600 lbs, that's awesome! I do like the idea of having the bike up high and protected, and that RR5 is heavy of course... Maybe get a normal tailgate ramp wide enough to walk on, and make a little bridge ramp for between the tailgate and the tonneau, with a step beside it for you if needed so you can just walk the bike right up in walk mode, one like the Yakima mentioned or similar style racks, and you can walk on your tonneau to park your bike up there like your truck is a elevated bike rack it's so strong!

I researched this and 1Up super duty seemed to be very popular so I bought it. It's a 4-5 week wait to ship it. I'm 2 weeks in so i have not received are used it but it came highly recommended.

Got one of these a couple of weeks ago.

Up to 140 lbs/ 70 lbs per bike.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperax-Receivers-Electric-Mountain-Compatible/dp/B088YKQ9TD/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3G80TUOYGQSBQ&dchild=1&keywords=fat+bike+hitch+rack&qid=1618255630&sprefix=fat+bike+hitch,aps,197&sr=8-6

Only used it once so far, we transported (2) e bikes. One Fat/ one MTB.

We removed batteries for safety .Worked wel
Hi ExPatBrit,
I have just received a Hyperax 2. It has not been unboxed/assembled yet as my hitch does not get installed until next week. Do you have any words of wisdom on its assembly? Are you using any additional straps? I as a little concerned that the wheel straps looked less substantial than other carriers. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

These racks are the go-to for low cost, no-limits ebike transportation. This specific rack can be had under a couple different labels down to about $150 on Amazon - identical product regardless. I have two, one of which I got at Discount Ramps.

On the up side:
- 400 lb capacity so ebikes are a non issue
- comes with a ramp and you roll the bike up it. No lifting.
- fat tire friendly.
- look at the size of the bike below... great for midtails and cargo bikes (this one is the biggest of the big longtails).

The down side is fairly straightforward:
- Only holds one bike
- Needs two or three come-alongs to strap it down. You don't just flip a latch to lock it down. Needs about 5 minutes' effort.
- Also needs about 5 minutes to get it attached to your trailer hitch. I am actually using a 1 1/2"-2" adapter that also raises mine some.

The bike in the pic wasn't an ebike yet but it became one shortly after this car ride home. One thing you want to do no matter what: Take the slug of a battery out of the thing, as well as take off any bags that are windcatchers.

T
IMG_20200624_171553.jpg

Hi ExPatBrit,
I have just received a Hyperax 2. It has not been unboxed/assembled yet as my hitch does not get installed until next week. Do you have any words of wisdom on its assembly? Are you using any additional straps? I as a little concerned that the wheel straps looked less substantial than other carriers. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Read the instructions well, they are actually pretty good, but it's easy to get things on the wrong way round . Ask me how I know!

On our first trip out we had an Evelo Aurora step-thru and a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra loaded. Because of the step thru, the Evelo needed the optional bracing bar and it was tricky to get the center hooks/ clamps to slide up and down and hold and lock both bikes because of the height crossbar difference. The wheels sit down about 4 inches.

The velcro straps are actually pretty good, Amazon sells extras if you want more. They are easy to use.

The long strap with a buckle is less useful IMHO.

We went overboard on extra bungees, took us 20+mins to load but for the return trip having established some confidence, loading was quick.

Transported the batteries inside the truck.

This was on a Lexus RX450H , it's heavy but the driver couldn't detect any swaying. Will try it on my Jeep soon.

I actually ordered one like pictured above but it never arrived and I got a refund. In the meantime I found this rig and thought it would be a better way to go. You can get an add on to hold a bikes wheels but they were not big enough for my 4" fatties so I made my own cradle out of scrap lumber and also made a ramp. It was good that I did as my fat tires made the bike a tiny bit too long to fit inside the rig and the cradle I made raised it up 1.5" allowing it to fit leaving 1/2" on each end which is why there are two little pieces of 1/2 plywood on an angle to keep it from moving back and forth. Of course the other thing I like about it is that it has other uses besides hauling a bike not to mention the $81 price tag.

Attachments

• DSCF4414.JPG
    DSCF4414.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCF4413.JPG
    DSCF4413.JPG
    968.1 KB · Views: 522
  • DSCF4411.JPG
    DSCF4411.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCF4412.JPG
    DSCF4412.JPG
    743.7 KB · Views: 485
Thanks again. I was hoping that the shorter hook would go down enough to hold my wife’s RadCity Step Thru, but I have a feeling I’ll be ordering a crossbar adapter for it. I have an Amego Infinite Plus, which I’m sure will fit. Nice to read that you couldn’t feel it swaying.
Take care, stay safe.

OP, you have the best solution already... roll the bike onto the pick up bed, it is the easiest, safest and most secure way to move these heavy bikes.

I have a 70 fat bike, it is no joke, you can hurt yourself / someone / damage your vehicle / cause injury or death if these things fall off your vehicle. Fork mount? not a good option IMO removing the wheel over and over can damage your disc if you're not careful. IMO too much can go wrong transporting heavy e bikes.

Again treat this like a motorcycle, roll it up and down your bed. Next best option is a hitch carrier, preferably with a ramp and keep the front wheel on.

Tilt-a-ramp by Black Widow purchased through discountramps.com Approx. $500

Although this video is not for ebikes it has some valid points on picking a bike rack.

Attachments

• RRST Rack on Back 202012.jpg
    RRST Rack on Back 202012.jpg
    893.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 20210910_132502.jpg
    20210910_132502.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 20210910_132041.jpg
    20210910_132041.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 20210612_174359.jpg
    20210612_174359.jpg