Transporting Folding bikes

wings02

Both my wife and myself are getting folding bikes. I’m trying to come up with a method of loading the bikes in our SUV to take them to the beach. We are in our 60’s and I have lower back issues preventing my from lifting too much. I am thinking of building a ramp just wide enough to handle the bikes when folded.
Has anyone had any experience with building some sort of device to make transportation easier? I cannot go the route of using a storage container because there is still a good amount of lifting involved. Would a ramp be too steep to roll the bikes up? I could rig a come a long if needed to pull the bikes up the ramp. Any ideas would be appreciated!

You could certainly build some sort of custom ramp.

How about a hitch mounted rear rack with a ramp?

1598551061683.png

The one pictured is a Kuat NV 2.0 with ramp accessory. Since it's hitch mounted, you could easily buy a hitch drop down receiver to lower the rack height:

1598551140523.png

I guess other options would be to get lighter weight folding bikes or a purchase a car with a lower rear deck height like a wagon or hatchback. Those are expensive options though.

I have two folding Pedago ebikes that are quite heavy so me and my wife lift them together which is very easy.

I am a small person, and I have a Honda CRV. I ride a foldable EcoMotion bike, which is about 60 lb but I take off the battery when I'm loading it. I have a metal ramp that was originally a neighbor's dirt bike ramp. I fold down the handle bars and just push my bike into the back of my car and lay it down gently. You could probably fit two folded bikes in your car I think? We traveled recently and I decided to get a Thule double bike rack, designed for the heavier e-bikes. Yes, I needed to get a hitch on my car but it was worth it! The brand I have tilts away from the back of the vehicle so I can access my car. The best part is that it comes with a foldable ramp, which stores in the rack itself when finished loading the bikes. I love it! It folds up compactly and has wheels so I can pull it to my garage.

Back