Train derailment on C&O

dblhelix

Outside temps are expected to be in the high 60s tomorrow in the Washington DC area. I am thinking about a long ride on the C&O, so I went to the NPS site to check on status. This derailed train a week ago has closed the bridge from the C&O in Maryland to Harper’s Ferry. AFAIK, no fatalities (helps that this happened at 4:00 am) but oh, boy.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Attachments

• B379F5C8-0D3C-4BEA-82FF-4D60967BC6B9.jpeg
    B379F5C8-0D3C-4BEA-82FF-4D60967BC6B9.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 447
Apparently that derailment also took out the hiker bridge which I suspect cyclist use to cross the river as well.

Apparently that derailment also took out the hiker bridge which I suspect cyclist use to cross the river as well.
It’s all the same thing: crossing the river gets you to Harper’s Ferry (WVA). To access the bridge by bike you have your choice of trying to get your bike up some narrow stairs or locking it up at a bike rack on the trail. You’re not getting an R&M up those stairs, esp when it’s jammed with ppl in the summer.

Last edited:
Outside temps are expected to be in the high 60s tomorrow in the Washington DC area. I am thinking about a long ride on the C&O, so I went to the NPS site to check on status. This derailed train a week ago has closed the bridge from the C&O in Maryland to Harper’s Ferry. AFAIK, no fatalities (helps that this happened at 4:00 am) but oh, boy.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Wow! I had not seen or heard of this. I stopped by there for an afternoon last summer, and used to hike that mountain across the river (Maryland Heights).

Crazy derailment...

Back