Trailer Receiver Jack: Is there such a thing?

Bill G

Region
USA
City
Near Lake George, NY
As I and other members of my seniors' riding group try various methods of loading heavy e-bikes, I was wondering whether there was some sort of jack mechanism that would fit between the receiver and the bike rack. Could be a scissor or ratchet type of mechanism, hand cranked, electric, or hydraulic, that would lower rack to close the ground level and then allow it to be raised, with some type of safety mechanism. Let me know if you've seen something like this. Thanks.

This product from MoTow may be what you are looking for:

Saris also offers something similar:

Unfortunately, both are quite pricey.

Some racks have a ramp setup to load bikes.
I have a ramp on my Thule Easy Fold XT....there's even a longer optional ramp available. It works, but still requires a lot of maneuvering to avoid the upright stanchion while in an awkward position. I can certainly live with this. I just thought that a more elegant (and certainly more expensive) solution would allow the whole rack to raise and lower, similar to a lift gate on some trucks. Perhaps something has been developed for mobility devices such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

I bought the longer ramp for my Thule Easy Fold. I stopped using it and just lift it up. I also remove the battery from my bike which makes it 10 pounds lighter. You may also be able to put your bike in a walk mode, which when I use the ramp I just power it up on the rack. It is a little bit of a dance to get the bike up there no matter how you do it.

Not a lot of help but you can drop the rack down about half way. The pad at the back if pushed down drops the back of the rack down. This is mainly so you could drop the tail gate on a truck or get in an suv.

This product from MoTow may be what you are looking for:

Saris also offers something similar:

Unfortunately, both are quite pricey.
Thanks. This is pretty much what I had in mind., minus the nose bleed when I saw the price. It would be nice if you could just buy the lift part and attach your existing hitch rack. Wonder if you can. I went to their website and noticed they now offer this rack with wheel trays as opposed to the suspension method; much better in my opinion. https://saris.com/products/door-county There were only 5 reviews, 4 of which were very positive. The fifth was not; the author said the rack was heavier than his/her bike and could not lift it into the lift receiver. Saris responded something to the effect that you could lower the lift and make it easier to insert the rack portion.

Thanks for your response. At least I know that there's one option out there should I absolutely need it.

I bought the longer ramp for my Thule Easy Fold. I stopped using it and just lift it up. I also remove the battery from my bike which makes it 10 pounds lighter. You may also be able to put your bike in a walk mode, which when I use the ramp I just power it up on the rack. It is a little bit of a dance to get the bike up there no matter how you do it.

Not a lot of help but you can drop the rack down about half way. The pad at the back if pushed down drops the back of the rack down. This is mainly so you could drop the tail gate on a truck or get in an suv.
Thanks. I currently use the ramp/walk mode method, but as you say, it's a bit of a dance since the pedals are turning and they require tilting the bike away from the vehicle to avoid interference with the vertical stanchion. I do remove the forward battery (I have a Nevo 3 with two batteries) to lessen the weight. My other challenge is getting my bike up to a second floor condo (no elevator). I use the walk mode there, but the "dance" takes place when I get to a small landing and have to make a 180 degree turn. I'm getting better at it though.

We have stayed in a hotel or a VRBO and done stairs but only going down. They had elevators and we used them going up.

To anyone Looking for a super stable, super convenient, ultra compact Double (or Single ) Bike Carrier, I Highly recommend this rack from MOTOW.
https://motowus.com/
I looked at ALL of the higher end models, and found this one to be the Goldie Locks best of all worlds.
I am 66 years old and have a bad back that can't handle lifting too much, or for too long.
But the process of lifting ONE wheel at a time makes this unit a breeze to use (manually).
But if you REALLY need help you can accessorize it with A MOTORIZED LIFT ! that connects to the hitch. Sold by Motow.
So far I'm doing great without a lift.
Next thing to note is the fact that the whole unit breaks down into essentially 3 separately removable Parts that you can easily toss in your Car while you are off riding.
In its broken down state, it is SUPER light weight (aircraft aluminum if I'm not mistaken), no wheels or cart needed to move it.
Plus so easy to find space for the 3 Parts in your Overly Crammed Garage (come-on I know your garage is stuffed ):cool:
I have watched my bikes in the rear view mirror when going over bumps..... and the bikes remain Rock Solid.

This is what I want for my investment, not a cheaply made, risky set up.

And last of all.... NO I don't work for Motow, I live in Southern California and being retired now am so happy I can get out beyond my neighborhood (with confidence) and ride.

Attachments

• 20221104_125400.jpg
    20221104_125400.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20221104_125419.jpg
    20221104_125419.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20221104_125444.jpg
    20221104_125444.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 86
Back