Top tube adapter for repair stand

The Mudshark

Region
USA
The repair setup quest continues... new ride (Bakcou Mule) has a wide trapezoidal top tube which doesn't fit in bike stand jaws. Possible solution is Hyperax e-bike top-tube adapter https://hyperax.co/products/ebadp. With an auto jack stand under the motor, adapter would be primarily for stability and only partially load bearing.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I'm not sure what bike repair stand you have but I clamp the jaws on mine to the seat post. I keep an old post around without a saddle mounted to use for some jobs.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new ride!

The 1.5” wide hooks would work on bikes where there is sufficient clearance between the head tube and bar clamp. My fat bike only has a 3/8” spacer and hence would likely not be able to accommodate the adapter’s front hook. You might find that it works for your Mule though.

Like @6zfshdb, I also clamp the seat post with the jaws using an older Park Tool repair stand (PCS 9). I have droppers on two of my bikes so removing them isn’t very convenient. For a heavier bike, I simply adjust the stand height to a reasonable point where I can lift the rear end of the bike up and place the saddle rails on top the jaws. Beforehand, I loosen the rotating clamp handle to match the angle of the seat post, clamp the jaws in place around the post and then follow up by tightening the pivoting handle. I do this all while the front wheel is still touching the ground which makes it easier than lifting the entire bike in the air. This allows me to work on the rear drivetrain from the outset. When I wish to service the front wheel/brakes, I simply loosen the swing handle and pivot the front wheel up then re-tighten the handle and voila, the bike is completely hanging on its own while still being clamped to the seat post. The max weight capacity of my stand is 80lbs.

GP__0724.JPG

If anyone is wondering what forces are at play when clamping the seat post, check out the video.

Back