Tools Needed

Wiley Coyote

Region
USA
City
ABQ, New Mexico
I pick up my Aventon Level Monday, and was wondering what you folks carry with you in your bag for unexpected emergencies, like flat tires. I will have Tire Levers and spare tube with me but outside of that, are there other tools or emergency equipment you bring with you? I'd like to keep it simple instead hauling around 30 #'s of tools. I am also thinking of unsuspected loose hardware that you may find a long your outing. Thanks for your replies...

I usually keep gear and tools in my Topeak MTX DTP 22.6L rack bag that help gets me home for most common issues; which, is flat repair stuff:
- spare tube (when Mr. Tuffy or Tannus Armour and tire sealant doesn't work)
- Stans tire sealant in 2 oz bottles
- battery air pump (Fannttik X8 150psi, too hard stowing & using mini hand pumps)
- tools (wrench, small wire cutter for zip ties, multi head screw driver, tire valve remover, velcro straps, zip ties)
- paper towel, rubber gloves, extra light (helmet light or flash light for evening/night riding)
- I have bike multi-tool if I notice anything out of adjustment on a ride
- cell phone when I don't want to deal with the fixing the issues and throw in the towel for the wife to pick me up.

I have fold out panniers on my ebikes to use as needed if I need to take extra stuff on certain rides like a spare battery, gear for bad weather, locks/chains, snacks, etc...

Carrying tire tools is always a good thing, but getting the rear wheel off a hub drive bike isn't as easy as a conventional bike. This is especially true on the road. I would practice doing it in the comfort of home first. Carrying a Gaadi open ended tube can also be a help:

Many of us here use flat prevention techniques, like Tannus armor inserts, Slime or Stans sealant, heavy duty tubes and puncture resistant tires.

A good multi tool and an Allen wrench set are also smart tools to carry and don't forget a tire pump.

I don’t carry any tools. I only ride about 4 miles, twice a day. I’m close enough I can walk or take the bus or have someone pick me up. Someone is always at my house I live with 5 people. My work isn’t a stickler if I’m a bit late, even though I never am. I have Tannis armor. That’s my only protection. Since I have a rear hub, if my chain breaks, I can throttle around.

If I ride longer distances, or in the mountains, I would have a knife, multi tool, tire levers, extra tube, pump. I’m only riding along the street, which I have gotten flats before I installed Tannis armor. Haven’t had a flat now in 1500 miles.

I do carry paracord so I can strap odd things to my bike rack.

Your bike does come with a folding portable multi-tool and if I recall a 17mm wrench for the wheel nuts. @6zfshdb's tube idea is a good one for an on the road repair. That is easiest if you flip the bike and that means keeping the bar clutter free and rotating the display.

I ride off the cell phone net. I do not expect my Mommy to come pick me up if I have a problem, she is deceased. I can fix anything but chain problems, a damaged rim, or fractured metal. Chain, I have a hub motor and it can drag me home. The only chain problem I've had in 67 years is when it fell off the sprocket.
I find multitools to be made of Chinese mystery metal. I use real US or Taiwan made tools. I carry an open end wrench of every size on the bike, plus a box end for the axle nuts. I counter torque 2 axle nuts to keep them from getting loose. I have a 6" & 8" crescent wrenches. I carry ball end allen wrenches up to 6 mm, 8 is required for the stand but that can wait until I get home. I carry slip joint pliers, chanl-lock 9.5" pliers, needlenose pliers, 5" viselock pliers for adjusting the cable. I carry 3 flat blade screwdrivers, one phillips head. I find tire levers silly and have never owned any. I carry 7.5" chanl-lock diagonal cutter for cables. I carry a pick for letting air out of valves, plus a valve core removal tool. I carry a lyzene air pump.
I carry 3 tubes and a spare fold flat tire (Panaracer, the schwinns fall off the rims). I carry a spare deraileur takeup, I have had a stick bend one before. I carry 1/4" balls for the crank or axle bearings, I have had them fall out before. I carry ty-wraps for rebundling wires after I let the slack out to remove the hub motor axle from the fork. I do not have to unplug the hub motor to remove the wheel.
Using $26 kenda or giant knobby tires and $7 schwinn tubes, I average one flat every 2 years or 4000 miles. I maintain the knobs taller than 3/32". There are no goat head thorns here. I get flats from the tire being stabbed while the bike is locked up somewhere. Armor or tubeless would not help that. I quit using slime when it plugged up two schrader valves and would not let me add air to the tires.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good advice. I forgot to throw in that I do have a rechargeable portable tire pump. My tires had the Tannus Inserts intalled at the shop when they assembled my bike. Funnty on those Inserts, either people love them or hate them. I guess over time, I will figure out what camp I'm in.

Last edited:
You'll love the Tannus inserts until you do get a flat, or have to change a tire. The inserts make the process more difficult, especially on the road.
The ride can be quite a bit stiffer with the inserts as well. You can drop the tire pressure a bit to compensate.
I quit using slime when it plugged up two schrader valves and would not let me add air to the tires.
Yeah, Slime can plug up the valves. Once a season or so, I remove the valve core and clean it under running water. I then take a small dowel with a rounded end, and push it gently into the open valve stem to clean the bore. I usually do it at the beginning of the season when I add more slime.

I use Stan's tire sealant (two 2 oz bottles per fat tire inside the tube). Zero issues with Stans plugging up the Schrader Valves and no issues with the sealant working with single to triple digit temps. I sometimes need to add a 2 oz bottle every 3-6 month because of the amount of goat head stickers in my neck of the woods. I have Mr. Tuffy liners on my Radrovers (Tannus on my Himiway Cobra Pro); but, some large goat head stickers penetrates the Rover's tire, liner, and into the tube and Stans sealant seem to work 99% of the time. I carry an extra tube for larger road debris or single track punctures Stans/Slim cannot fix.

The ride can be quite a bit stiffer with the inserts as well. You can drop the tire pressure a bit to compensate.
Interesting you had this experience. When I bought my inserts, I was prompted to buy new tubes. The new tubes are about half an inch width less to what the original tubes were. I inflate the tubes to 25psi and the ride is really spongy. Way more that without the inserts. Perhaps the stiffness was because the original tubes were used?

I pick up my Aventon Level Monday, and was wondering what you folks carry with you in your bag for unexpected emergencies, like flat tires. I will have Tire Levers and spare tube with me but outside of that, are there other tools or emergency equipment you bring with you? I'd like to keep it simple instead hauling around 30 #'s of tools. I am also thinking of unsuspected loose hardware that you may find a long your outing. Thanks for your replies...
AAA card, Multi tool, ULock, Cable and my phone...

You'll love the Tannus inserts until you do get a flat, or have to change a tire. The inserts make the process more difficult, especially on the road.

Yeah, Slime can plug up the valves. Once a season or so, I remove the valve core and clean it under running water. I then take a small dowel with a rounded end, and push it gently into the open valve stem to clean the bore. I usually do it at the beginning of the season when I add more slime.
The stubby valve core tool handles are actually a tap for the valve stem.
Screenshot_20240304_214634_Chrome.jpg

Removes valve core, re-taps inside and outside threads, and reams valve
Tire-sensor safe
Ideal for bikes, motorcycles, and automobiles

I've seen them at places like Autozone too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_214634_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_214634_Chrome.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 37
I was unaware that AAA would pick up a byciclist? I guess I need to look over my policy.
A buddy uses A-squared when stranded in the out of cell phone coverage boonies. He has a bike with a motor that is more powerful than a chain can take. He breaks chains on huge climbs while using the thumb throttle and needs to find a farmhouse to use their phone. Outside of 15 miles from civilization the charge is $150. I give him quick links that he forgets to take.

I was unaware that AAA would pick up a byciclist? I guess I need to look over my policy.
It's indeed a good service to have but be aware of the restrictions.

Not all AAA clubs offer Bicycle transport for members of other AAA clubs. The coverage is not universal in all parts of the US. You may be covered by your home club, or division, but it depends on the club in the area you have the breakdown as to whether they will transport your bike.

For example, I'm covered by the AAA North Penn club in PA where I live, but not in some Ohio clubs where I often ride. It's best to check the area where you plan to ride in advance to see if you're covered or not.

An excerpt from my policy:

Coverage and Restrictions​

• Member must be present at the time of service and have a valid AAA card.
  • Only available in the AAA North PennTerritory
  • Bicycle service is not available to Members of other AAA clubs.
  • Bicycle service applies to all 2-wheeled bicycles, including rental bicycles & tandem/trailers pulled by bicycles.
  • Bicycle services is limited to transporting a bicycle (Back home, to bike repair shop etc.) due to breakdown disablement. Mechanical repairs not included, including bicycle lock service.
  • Service is provided only along a normally traveled road or street.
  • Bicycle service is provided for the rider whose bicycle is disabled and accompanying minors.
AAA will not provide service on rural dirt roads or bike trails. You must walk the bike to the nearest paved road.
Obviously, you also need cell phone service to call, or use the AAA app.

It's indeed a good service to have but be aware of the restrictions.

Not all AAA clubs offer Bicycle transport for members of other AAA clubs. The coverage is not universal in all parts of the US. You may be covered by your home club, or division, but it depends on the club in the area you have the breakdown as to whether they will transport your bike.

For example, I'm covered by the AAA North Penn club in PA where I live, but not in some Ohio clubs where I often ride. It's best to check the area where you plan to ride in advance to see if you're covered or not.

An excerpt from my policy:

Coverage and Restrictions​

• Member must be present at the time of service and have a valid AAA card.
  • Only available in the AAA North PennTerritory
  • Bicycle service is not available to Members of other AAA clubs.
  • Bicycle service applies to all 2-wheeled bicycles, including rental bicycles & tandem/trailers pulled by bicycles.
  • Bicycle services is limited to transporting a bicycle (Back home, to bike repair shop etc.) due to breakdown disablement. Mechanical repairs not included, including bicycle lock service.
  • Service is provided only along a normally traveled road or street.
  • Bicycle service is provided for the rider whose bicycle is disabled and accompanying minors.
AAA will not provide service on rural dirt roads or bike trails. You must walk the bike to the nearest paved road.
Obviously, you also need cell phone service to call, or use the AAA app.
Thanks, and as you stated, it is not universal coverage. I will have to take a gander at my New Mexico Coverage, or maybe narrow down to the Albuquerque Metro Area.

The stubby valve core tool handles are actually a tap for the valve stem.
View attachment 172168
Removes valve core, re-taps inside and outside threads, and reams valve
Tire-sensor safe
Ideal for bikes, motorcycles, and automobiles

I've seen them at places like Autozone too
It's a great tool, and I always carry one! There are some issues though.
Depending on the length of the valve stem, the tool may not be long enough to clear a sealant clog.
The spokes on some wheels often interfere with the "T" design, preventing it from turning 360 degrees. It works great on my 26" 34 hole rims but not on my 36 hole rims.

I also carry this one that clears the spokes:

You just gotta decide how much you want to be prepared to handle while on a ride. Personally, I prep for common issues (which is basic adjustments and flats) and anything beyond that I'll call my wife for a pickup. So my kit is generally a pump of some sort (I have several but most are Topeak Morph pumps in various flavors), a spare tube, a patch kit and a multitool. On my MTB I wear a hydration pack so carry more, I add a shock pump, a small bottle of sealant, a spare hanger and some chain links.

For ebikes you do need to make sure you can remove the wheel to handle a flat. May need a wrench of some sort to unbolt a hub motor and loosen the torque arm. Sears used to make great stubby wrenches that fit in a seat bag perfectly.

Beyond that you really start getting into repairs that should be extremely unlikely. I mean, derailleurs do break but I'm not carrying a spare with me.

It's a great tool, and I always carry one! There are some issues though.
Depending on the length of the valve stem, the tool may not be long enough to clear a sealant clog.
The spokes on some wheels often interfere with the "T" design, preventing it from turning 360 degrees. It works great on my 26" 34 hole rims but not on my 36 hole rims.

I also carry this one that clears the spokes:

True.
I've used a water soaked Qtip in that case. Just go easy to keep it in tact and spin in just one direction or it can start to unwind the cotton.

Back