toe cage for VP-191 Alloy Platform with Rubber Tread

BarbaraSC

I want to add toe cages to my Riese&Muller Roadster. The stock pedals are VP-191 Alloy Platform with Rubber Tread. Although I used a 15 mm wrench to remove the pedal, the screw going into the crank is a tad bit larger than other standard pedals I have here in the US.This bike is my main mode of transportation on city streets. Can someone please advise me as a reasonably priced option here ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are two different sized pedal axles*; 9/16" (which is what your R&M has, and all "good" bikes) and ½", which is for one-piece cranks (which is what are found on inexpensive bikes). If you want to add toe clips to pedals, generally they would best with so-called quill pedals. A good but not outrageously priced example is the MKS Sylvan. There are also a two different types of toe clips; the traditional style with straps, and half or mini clips, which do not use a strap. There is also the alternative to toe clips, Power Grips.

*Actually there are three different sizes if you count the rare French threaded pedals.

Last edited:
Back