Tire options for RadMini? Rack options?

psychl

Although there has been a little discussion about tires for the RadMini I would like to know what width tires
under 4 inches would work on the Mini using the original rims. Would any 3 inch or 3 1/2 width tires fit on the bike? It appears the original tires are not the most puncture resistant and a narrower tire might put less strain on the battery. The only issue I had with the tires was that the chain was rubbing against the rear wheel in first and second gear, causing the chain to bounce around. I got the tire trued, it was off some, but the chain rubbing only went away after the Rad rep told me to lower the pressure from 35 psi to 20 psi.

I really like the bike overall even though the wide tires do not make it bus friendly; it will not fit on the carry rack of of bus system. I have yet to try to carry it on board the bus. I hope by removing the battery, the front wheel, and the seat post and putting them in a cloth bag, that I can carry the bike on the bus.

Any thoughts on how to carry a second battery for the bike. The obvious location is the rear rack although I hate to give up that space incase I need to carry something else. I was imagining somehow lowering the original rear rack so that it is closer to the tire, then add a second level to the rack, and use the caged in, as it were, lower level to hold the second battery. Actually, in looking at the rack again, the most you could lower it would be 2 inches so a lot of expense for little gain. Even with a modified front rack the battery appears to be to long to mount there. Although I like the original battery position under the seat (low center of gravity, less noticed by others, aesthetics, etc.), those who have the dolphin battery mounted on the rack seem to have options to get bigger amp batteries from other manufacturers.

I really enjoy being able to use the throttle to cross busy intersections and on country roads it helps when getting back on the road after having pulled over onto the dirt for a break. I like that the front wheel is quick release and being able to fold the sucker is a huge bonus. As somebody else pointed out, the bike should have good modification potential down the road. I assume you could put a 1000 watt and up motor on the bike.

Bill

Although there has been a little discussion about tires for the RadMini I would like to know what width tires
under 4 inches would work on the Mini using the original rims. Would any 3 inch or 3 1/2 width tires fit on the bike? It appears the original tires are not the most puncture resistant and a narrower tire might put less strain on the battery. The only issue I had with the tires was that the chain was rubbing against the rear wheel in first and second gear, causing the chain to bounce around. I got the tire trued, it was off some, but the chain rubbing only went away after the Rad rep told me to lower the pressure from 35 psi to 20 psi.

I really like the bike overall even though the wide tires do not make it bus friendly; it will not fit on the carry rack of of bus system. I have yet to try to carry it on board the bus. I hope by removing the battery, the front wheel, and the seat post and putting them in a cloth bag, that I can carry the bike on the bus.

Any thoughts on how to carry a second battery for the bike. The obvious location is the rear rack although I hate to give up that space incase I need to carry something else. I was imagining somehow lowering the original rear rack so that it is closer to the tire, then add a second level to the rack, and use the caged in, as it were, lower level to hold the second battery. Actually, in looking at the rack again, the most you could lower it would be 2 inches so a lot of expense for little gain. Even with a modified front rack the battery appears to be to long to mount there. Although I like the original battery position under the seat (low center of gravity, less noticed by others, aesthetics, etc.), those who have the dolphin battery mounted on the rack seem to have options to get bigger amp batteries from other manufacturers.

I really enjoy being able to use the throttle to cross busy intersections and on country roads it helps when getting back on the road after having pulled over onto the dirt for a break. I like that the front wheel is quick release and being able to fold the sucker is a huge bonus. As somebody else pointed out, the bike should have good modification potential down the road. I assume you could put a 1000 watt and up motor on the bike.

Bill

I was told by tech support (Scott Vandivort Dir of Tech Support) at RAD that the Mini actually uses a 3" rim and that is common for the rims to be undersized relative to the tires on bicycles. I assume any tire 3" and up to 4" is suitable. This has implications if trying to tote your Mini on the bus. Smaller 3" tires might work ?

Yes, at least in the Seattle area, I think the bike racks on the bus will only accept tires less than 3 inches wide and bike that weigh less than 55lbs. So if you can get by with 3 inch tires, then the rack on the front of the bus might be an option.

I had the same issue of the chain rubbing my rear tire on my Radrover. It looked like my rear derailleur was bent inward during transport. I was able to bent it back into place by hand where the chain doesn't rub tire in any gear.

I also installed Mr. Tuffy tire liners and two 2 ounce bottles of Stans tire sealant per tire. I use my Radrover for work commuting (40-60 miles per week) and weekend fun trail rides. I get plenty of thorns and run over road debris; but, I haven't had to fix a flat at all since purchasing the bike in Sept/2016 and putting +1000 miles on her. You might have to trim the Mr. Tuffy liner to fit the smaller mini wheels.

Yes, at least in the Seattle area, I think the bike racks on the bus will only accept tires less than 3 inches wide and bike that weigh less than 55lbs. So if you can get by with 3 inch tires, then the rack on the front of the bus might be an option.
Great point . I will look into that.
I'm actually planning on updating my RAD Mini to a mid hub motor when my warranty runs out.
I'm planning on building a new rear wheel sans motor. It looks like the frame will be ideal for the retrofit. I will add a front shock and suspension for the battery cradle where the Silverfish motor goes. Any thoughts ?

Back