Tire balding too fast?

christob

Just wondering if this could be in the realm of “normal” tire wear.
Schwalbe Fat Franks, same model front and back. Rear tire has worn so that the 3 centermost ridges of tread are now balded into one flat expanse. This tire has 938 miles (since mid August) on it as of today (though I think I first noticed the balding around 800 miles or so.)
Front tire still shows clearly the 3 centermost ridges of tread. This tire in contrast, has 2,273 miles on it today.
This is a rear hub motor bike, and I usually ride commutes with a pannier bag holding lunch, clothes, etc. And I’m a bigger guy at 6’2, and have averaged about 255 pounds during the rear tire’s life.
Rear tire came to me already mounted on a whole new rear wheel (sent under warranty after some spoke issues) — so I suppose it is possible the current tire itself wasn’t a new one when I received that new wheel, though I have no memory of there being noticeably worn tread when I first unpacked that new wheel.
I keep both regularly at 60-65 psi.
Edit: I have a new Fat Frank ordered from Schwalbe, which will get installed next week... I'll of course be watching to see how it looks after its first 800-900 miles ;)
7E8F2D9B-1B7A-4783-B6AA-345AD0660A45.jpeg62E7FBD1-1DF8-43D9-AC82-4DDB8F9EE420.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a pretty wide wear pattern for running at 65psi. I have 2,400 on Schwalbe Super Moto X and Schwalbe Marathon Plus (I think that's right) and I can't really see any wear on them. I weigh 245.

I cannot say if it is normal wear, but Schwalbe does rate their tires for durability; the Fat Franks get three out of six on their scale. To contrast, my bike came with Schwalbe Energizer Plus Tour tires, size 47-622, which are rated five out of six on their durability scale, and both tires have plenty of tread after nearly 2300 miles. My combined load has been 220-230 lbs.

FYI, Schwalbe's Super Moto X also rates a five for durability.

Just wondering if this could be in the realm of “normal” tire wear.
Schwalbe Fat Franks, same model front and back. Rear tire has worn so that the 3 centermost ridges of tread are now balded into one flat expanse. This tire has 938 miles (since mid August) on it as of today (though I think I first noticed the balding around 800 miles or so.)
Front tire still shows clearly the 3 centermost ridges of tread. This tire in contrast, has 2,273 miles on it today.
This is a rear hub motor bike, and I usually ride commutes with a pannier bag holding lunch, clothes, etc. And I’m a bigger guy at 6’2, and have averaged about 255 pounds during the rear tire’s life.
Rear tire came to me already mounted on a whole new rear wheel (sent under warranty after some spoke issues) — so I suppose it is possible the current tire itself wasn’t a new one when I received that new wheel, though I have no memory of there being noticeably worn tread when I first unpacked that new wheel.
I keep both regularly at 60-65 psi.
Edit: I have a new Fat Frank ordered from Schwalbe, which will get installed next week... I'll of course be watching to see how it looks after its first 800-900 miles ;)
View attachment 26634

Fat franks are really not for E-bikes. They are made for cruiser bikes that travel at 10mph and this is Schwalbe's cheapest balloon tire.

I highly recommend this one (28'x2' size) for your rear tire: https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-GT

I'm getting 1.5 years out of rear Kenda off-road 2.1" on the back and 2 years on the front. I ride about 2000 miles a year on road. I pull them at ~1/16" tread so I don't get flats. They come over 1/8" thick external tread. At $25 each from the LBS I think I'll stay with these instead of premium schwalbe. I only weigh 160 lb but I carry 50 lb of supplies on the back frequently. The open tread makes a little noise, ho-hum. I use generic schwinn tubes. Freedomcycle road tires that came with the new bike, I only got 6 months out of the rear and 8 out of the front.

Last edited:
I heard that rotating tire might not be the best idea because you’d be putting the tire with more wear on the front thus reducing steering traction. I’d buy a new tire and put that on the front and move the current front tire rearward.

900-1000 miles seems par for the course fir a tire rated at 3 out of 6. I’m about 165lbs with two panniers and got similar performance as others with Energizer Plus tires.

This is how my rear tire looks after 500 miles (same tire as yours) . (I weight 155 lbs). On my "analog" road bike, I have 2400 miles on them, no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_9802.jpeg
    IMG_9802.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 595
  • IMG_9801.jpeg
    IMG_9801.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_9800.jpeg
    IMG_9800.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 433
Thanks for the inputs folks -- I'll install the new Fat Frank on the rear, and then likely at the next tire-balding, time-to-change point, will look at the Marathons.

It’s normal for bikes to wear the rear more when there’s more weight there. I’ve seen a Fat Frank need to be replaced at as low as 500 miles. I don’t remember whether that tire showed evidence of habitual skidding.

If you’re putting on a lot of miles, a more durable tire might be a good idea. If you use the 26” x 2.35” that many Pedegos do, that size is hard to find. I like the Marathon Mondial Double Defense in 26” x 2.15”, even though it’s narrower.

Back