Tilting/leaning trikes

AmyG

Region
USA
Hello all,
I previously posted about riding e trikes on rail trails, and think that it is feasible in my area. My riding would be recreational, do not need to transport people or heavy cargo.
I have become very interested in the tilting trikes. So far, the main brands seem to be Mastretta MX3, Bintelli trio, there are European models such as Alpine (England), Tris bike (Italy). Tris has a model that splits in half for easier transport in my Honda crv (suv), but the company told me they do not sell outside of Europe. A Taiwan company called x-trike appears to have some models. A couple more models include Kawasaki and Cube, though they do not appear to be for sale yet.
Are there more companies that I am missing? Most of these seem to be aimed at cargo riders, but I am 5’3’’ and fairly small. Does anyone know if you can buy an etrike and have it somehow converted to a tilting/leaning trike?
Thank you in advance,
Amy

You cannot convert a non tilting trike to a tilting one, unless you have some high level fabrication skills.

What is your actual goal, here? If you want a trike because you can’t balance on two wheels, the tilting is going to mean balancing three, which is no easier than two - in fact it’s worse for balancing because it’s stranger and heavier. The tilting trikes are aimed at cargo riders because apart from avoiding the need to balance, the main use for a third wheel is for carrying something.

I saw this link in the thread ebike to etrike conversion:
https://trego-trolley.com/home .
Might not be right for your use, but it sure is cool!
Bummer, had it in the cart and....

Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 12.48.28 PM.png

1680803363881.png

I would love to try one of those Tregos. But they are not in the USA. Are they even available in Europe? Anyone ever seen one in the wild?

You cannot convert a non tilting trike to a tilting one, unless you have some high level fabrication skills.

What is your actual goal, here? If you want a trike because you can’t balance on two wheels, the tilting is going to mean balancing three, which is no easier than two - in fact it’s worse for balancing because it’s stranger and heavier. The tilting trikes are aimed at cargo riders because apart from avoiding the need to balance, the main use for a third wheel is for carrying something.
Thanks for the information. I can ride a 2 wheel bike (Cannondale treadwell remixte). My balance is ok (not great). I am careful and focus to keep balance, cannot look around too much or take a hand off the handlebars. The trike would be for a little added stability, with e-assist to help with inclines and due to the trike’s weight. I would ride both the etrike and the 2 wheel bike.

Thank you for your feedback. I looked at your other thread. Did you buy their trike and make modifications to it? Or did you convert a different bike? It looks like you have a business that makes conversions, is that right?
I'm a Mechanical Engineer designed and build many vehicle in my life, and I developed some types of leaning trikes last few years

I'm going to build these trikes & quadricycles soon, and I cooperate with export trader

Attachments

• Trike 230117c.JPG
    Trike 230117c.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 157
  • elevator fold.JPG
    elevator fold.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 176
  • E Car 230409a.JPG
    E Car 230409a.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 165
  • E Car 230410a.JPG
    E Car 230410a.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 171
I'm a Mechanical Engineer designed and build many vehicle in my life, and I developed some types of leaning trikes last few years

I'm going to build these trikes & quadricycles soon, and I cooperate with export trader
That sounds good. I would be interested in buying a well-designed electric leaning trike.

I saw this tilting cargo trike in this video from the 2023 SPEZI Bike Show. It rolls by at twenty seconds:

I really, really want a cargo eTrike like this. I couldn't find one in my numerous searches. No idea how it handles.

The HNF-Nicolai is the style I'm looking for, but the $10,000 price! The BMW trike just doesn't ring my bell.
I would prefer to avoid Euro power and throttle restrictions.

Apparently, I must have a lot of time to waste. In Day 2 of 5 of COVID isolation. First time for me.
Anyway, I found the Kawasaki Nosiliu cargo etrike on the interweb. The one I like is the last one listed.
https://insideevs.com/news/670471/kawasaki-noslisu-electric-cargo-bike/
It has a 36v 180w hub motor! Well, that sure needs to be fixed. If I could get one it would become a nominal 750w 52v bike.

Last edited:
Back