Thudbuster Too Bouncy; Bodyfloat May Be The Answer

The Thudbuster seems to be mentioned in many of the bike reviews here and the BodyFloat is recommended in the Trek XM 700+ review. I thought the Thud Buster long travel version was my ticket.

However in the long-travel version I tried you seem to have to alter your pedal technique a little to keep from bouncing. I was in a Pedego dealer and rode the owner's Bodyfloat, and besides the obscene price starting at $249 for aluminum (more for carbon, and a precious metal price for titanium), that is the answer. Bodyfloat claims it's because they don't rely on dampening. I also prefer the Bodyfloat's industrial design.

Anyway for whatever reason - Wow! I'll update after a couple of weeks of use.

BodyFloat.jpg

Last edited:
The Thudbuster comes in 3 different flavors which are based on different springs and designed for different weight groups. Which one did you get and how much do you weigh?

Then the Thudbuster has an adjustment, have you tightened it to increase its resistance?

@Douglas Wever I think you already got my suggestion on purchasing a less expensive BodyFloat. FWIW I had a BF put on my Juiced CC and, at least in my very first miles, have been trying to determine how effective it is. Trouble is, so far I've felt no shocks or abrupt sensations despite going over ice-heaved asphalt and a really obnoxious graveled road where everything else on the bike was buzzing and hopping. Hasn't bottomed out once and, with all the shocks being isolated from the sit bones, I can now appreciate the gel saddle that Juiced provides. I'll add that one thing became very apparent as I test-rode a lot of ebikes, including multiple Class 3's: these faster speeds really put a premium on isolating one's body contact points.

Mine is the BF model intended for 180# riders, tho' obviously adjustable. The oh-so tiny fine-print instructions provide an exhaustive discussion of how to 'tune' or calibrate the suspension. (It just HAS to be a German product...). It comes 'locked down' for shipping. I just released the spring compression until it looked right, adjusted it once more after a short ride, and have been very impressed ever since. But having said that, @eoghan 's points are well taken re: the Thudbuster you rode.

Michael at the large Trek-only dealer in Chattanooga warned me you have to change your pedal motion to keep from bouncing on the ThudBuster, I've also seen that posted this site. John, the owner of Bikes Etc. in Huntsville, AL mentioned they've had some durability issues with ThudBusters. The one I rode was dialed in for a guy slightly heavier than my 190 lbs. and was the long travel version.

I'm taking the picture and I'm using the BodyFloat on the hard tail Pedago Ridge Rider. The weird thing is you often don't feel it working which is probably the greatest complement you can give it. When I said to my wife on a very uneven asphalt bike trail in Nashville, hey I don't feel this thing going up and down, she was behind me and assured me it was working like crazy. Wow.

So once I decided on the BF, I went on line and entered the values of my weight, riding angle and what not, then the web based calculator advised which specific color coded springs I should have on mine, it was easy to set up and install. And regarding those fine-tuning tension adjustments Jack, mine is right so I haven't fiddled.
FullSizeRender 4 copy.jpg

Back