Thudbuster Failure Ouch!

If you Google "bicycle seat post failure" you'll see many failures out there. One could argue that a seat post with suspension should actually put less impact stress on the post. The Thrudbuster is offset and that will amplify the forces at the attach point.

All that said, I couldn't find any other Thrudbuster seat post failures in a search various sites including Amazon reviews.

So I'm not worried, and I really like it!

@JoePah Did you notify Thrudbuster?

One could argue that a seat post with suspension should actually put less impact stress on the post.

The Thrudbuster is offset and that will amplify the forces at the attach point.

It's not just about the forces, it's also about product safety testing, materials used, engineering... I don't know what they do for safety, but if I was going to use one these things I'd want to find out.

Has anyone determined if this wasn't actually an older & recalled 2 Generation Thudbuster? From the look of the post with most of the blueing scratched & worn off, this wasn't it's first rodeo. Another telltale... the two top bushings show some rust corrosion. Salt, & sweat could easily froze the bushings making the linkage more stiff, causing less flex. The two rubber inserts also appear deformed and their surfaces oxidized. Rubber stiffens & becomes brittle, loosing elasticity. There's a LOT of age appearing on this Thudbuster.

http://www.canecreek.com

Last edited:
Also, a point should be made that with the two stiffest inserts being used, a rider with less weight than what is rated for the stiffer sets, could transfer more lateral stress down into the seat post, than if they were using the more forgiving lighter rated inserts. It's not always too heavy a load leading to failure, too stiff of a suspension can have virtually the same effect.

There's something that has never been made clear about CC's load limit. Is the 250 LB limit a performance limit? Or a structural integrity limit? INW, beyond 250 lbs, is the Thudbuster more likely to bottom out with it's most stiffest inserts? Or is 250 the most CC is willing to bet their designs load bearing integrity. As a jumbo-sized 250 lb rider, I'd seriously like to know this.

Also, a point should be made that with the two stiffest inserts being used, a rider with less weight than what is rated for the stiffer sets, could transfer more lateral stress down into the seat post, than if they were using the more forgiving lighter rated inserts. It's not always too heavy a load leading to failure, too stiff of a suspension can have virtually the same effect.

There's something that has never been made clear about CC's load limit. Is the 250 LB limit a performance limit? Or a structural integrity limit? INW, beyond 250 lbs, is the Thudbuster more likely to bottom out with it's most stiffest inserts? Or is 250 the most CC is willing to bet their designs load bearing integrity. As a jumbo-sized 250 lb rider, I'd seriously like to know this.

Robert
as a plus 250 lb rider I have the Body Float with the stiffest suspension springs and after dialing it in it is a dream. You don't even realize its working until you've gone for a long ride and realize your butt and privates are not in any pain. It's a grear system and much more high tech than the Thudbuster. Don't need a soft saddle either as I have the a Brooks pre aged and the combination is fantastic. Just IMHO.

Easy to see the weak point here, just look at the paper thin wall of the post where its sheared. A 250lb rider stressing that out on rough trails it`s not gonna last. Where was this manufactured - China?
If i were Thudbuster i`d be doing a recall and replacing that post with a lot heavier gauge material

I doubt whether 66kph would be mentioned in court :)

is the pole part of the kit, or is it the original bike seat post.

I'd bet it would be as the defendants attorneys would be looking at everything posted on the net about the part and failures.
They'd find it. ;)

In re-reading this thread it occurred to me that at 66kph (41 mph) I'm not sure I would be sitting down all that hard on the seat...seems odd. Anyway after 800miles of trails and a top sped of 32 mph downhill I don't see any cracks or deformations.

Back