Throttle vs. Pedal Assist

Cal

I'm curious how often those of you who've been e-biking for awhile use the throttle, assuming you've got both throttle and PAS? ... I get the impression riders use the throttle a lot in the beginning but, over time, get more and more used to pedal assist, using the throttle less and less. I'm curious because I'm new to all this and trying to figure out whether I need/want a bike with a throttle+PAS (and hub drive) or pedal assist only (with smooth Bosch mid-drive motor).

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Last edited:
Hey Cal. I'm still pretty new to these bikes myself. For me, on a long ride early in the trip, I hardly use the throttle at all. I also use the lowest level of pedal assist to conserve battery and I actually really like to pedal. Later in the day on the ride back when I am fatiguing I lean on the throttle a lot more. It's fun and I'm glad it's there. I also go to pedal assist 3... just cause I can! Having a great time with my bike.

I've been on both sides of the fence here, first ebike was a hub drive with a throttle. I only used it to get going across intersections or starting on a hill, and was afraid I would miss it a lot. I did, in fact, for a little while, once buying a new bike with the Bosch system. However, I got over it quick once I figured out that all you have to do in those circumstances is punch it up to Tour or even Sport for the first second or two when taking off up that hill... it takes off within a quarter of a pedal stroke. My view is that the Bosch system is so much more responsive and natural feeling I would not go back. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY, this is subjective as hell, but it appears to be the big rationale for mid drives along with the ease of fixing the dreaded rear tire flat.

Joe makes a valid point above about getting pooped out and going more to the throttle, and I've been there once or twice as well, but again, for me, on balance there's no comparison. Based on 2400 miles between the two bikes since last September.

I have two Radrover 4" fat tire bike with 750 watt rear hub with 5 levels of PAS and throttle. The throttle provide full 750 watts of power in any PAS level (even at 0 PAS). I had the bikes since Sept/16 and have around +2500 between both bikes. I use them for work commuting and trail riding. I'm always using PAS in level 3-4 for work commuting or PAS 2-3 for trail riding.

I still get a lot of use from the throttle:

Work Commuting:
- faster acceleration from a stop to get across an intersection quickly
- assist in starting my +65 lbs ebike on an incline
- occasionally have to walk my bike up inclines or a flight of stairs and the throttle is very useful
- If I'm in a lower PAS and hit a short; but, steep incline
- whenever I need a break from pedaling (95-105 degrees the last few weeks)

Trail riding:
- some single track are so narrow or rocky and hard to pedal without clipping obstacles
- need extra power up a short incline
- sharp turns that would cause my pedal to hit the ground
- sandy conditions that need a little extra power to maintain my momentum

Emergencies:
- wiped out on my ebike on a muddy spot on single track and my handlebars were floppin'. Very hard to pedal the 5 miles home; but, much easier to use just the throttle and ride my broken bike.
- bolt holding my left pedal crank fell out and whole crank arm fell off the bike. I couldn't pedal the bike in PAS; but, use the throttle to get home.
- another wipe-out on paved road on ebike with a pretty bad road rash on left knee. Throttled the way home (also purchased knee and elbow pads)

I almost never use the throttle since it kills range, but having owned ebikes for years including some without throttles I would never consider buying an ebike without a throttle. I see it as a safety feature since when I do use it it's for quickly getting up to speed on roadways without bike lanes and with a lot of traffic where I feel like a target to motorists who aren't too concern with the safety of cyclists. The way I see it if you have it and don't use it you haven't lost anything, but if you don't have it and need it because you've injured yourself and can't peddle or need a burst of speed you're hosed. Sure a lot of Euro bike companies don't have throttles because of the EU's need to regulate the heck out of everything, but just because they can't have it doesn't mean people in the US and Canada shouldn't - our road conditions aren't the same as those of most Euro countries.

I'm curious how often those of you who've been e-biking for awhile use the throttle, assuming you've got both throttle and PAS? ... I get the impression riders use the throttle a lot in the beginning but, over time, get more and more used to pedal assist, using the throttle less and less. I'm curious because I'm new to all this and trying to figure out whether I need/want a bike with a throttle+PAS (and hub drive) or throttle only (with smooth Bosch mid-drive motor).

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!
Hello Cal,

I'm pretty new to E-bikes as well. Spent last winter researching E-bikes and bought a Surface 604 Colt in the middle of April - it has a rear hub motor and a thumb throttle as well as a torque sensor for PAS. I rarely use the throttle but I think it is a good feature to have. Unlike the Rad Rover that mrgold35 mentioned, my throttle power is linked to the level of assist. Since I usually have assist set at 2 out of 5, I don't have maximum throttle unless I change assist levels.

As I said, the throttle is good to have even if you don't use it because it can bring you home when you are tired or even injured and can't peddle. If you break a peddle or chain, you can still get home if you can't make a repair on the road. I could certainly make do with a Bosch type mid drive because that is how I ride my bike anyway. I have test driven them and I like them a lot - I wish I had enough money to buy one of everything!!!!!!!!!! Both systems have advantages and disadvantages but having a throttle is a fantastic safety back up feature even if you don't use it. Most European countries have banned throttles in a very arbitrary way - I like to see the user have the option rather than a bureaucrat making the decision.

This question comes up frequently. I use the throttle/booster all the time. My PAS stays between 1 and 2, and now that I am getting older, for hills, the throttle is mandatory as well as for all the other reasons stated in the previous posts. Also, along the same lines as solom01 mentioned, if you don't need it, don't use it. If you do need it, you'll be glad you have it. The extra cost is negligible.

I have a throttle on my Juiced CrossCurrent Air (with torque sensor), and I'm glad I have it. But in all honesty, I never use it. That's because I almost always ride in "Sport" mode (power level 5 of 5), and when you start from a dead stop the power kicks in quickly and strongly. In a high gear from a complete stop, I actually accelerate faster with very light pedal power than I do hitting the throttle. Go figure. I'm not sure if this is because of (i) the torque sensor; or (ii) the fact that I'm in the highest power setting, or (iii) because the bike just has a suprising amount of "get up and go" for a geared 350w, 48v set-up. Whatever the reason, the way this bike is set-up makes the throttle something of an after thought. Perhaps if I rode in the lower power levels, I would notice that the throttle is more useful.

Nonetheless, I like having a throttle for emergency reasons like a broken chain or injury.

I get the impression riders use the throttle a lot in the beginning but, over time, get more and more used to pedal assist, using the throttle less and less.
Not really. These are different things for different situations. Mrgold summed it up pretty well. Apples to apples, i.e. with the same motor and sensors, there is no substitute for throttle when you need one.
trying to figure out whether I need/want a bike with a throttle+PAS (and hub drive) or throttle only (with smooth Bosch mid-drive motor).
Bosch have no throttle. You probably mean - PAS only. There is no way to tell until after trying. Don't want to start a debate on hub vs mid, but - like others noted, a broken chain or pedals on a mid-drive (ANY mid-drive) is going to be a pain - no pedaling and no power either.

Last edited:
My thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond, and doing it so thoughtfully. This was my first post in this forum. ... Much for me to think about (in my quest for a $2500 commuter)!

My thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond, and doing it so thoughtfully. This was my first post in this forum. ... Much for me to think about (in my quest for a $2500 commuter)!

One thing I didn't realize and got lucky with my Radrover was the need for storage and utility. I have 3 bottle cage points on my bike, added a handlebar extension for brighter headlight and cell phone holder, and rear rack+bag with fold out panniers. I need extra water in the summer, extra cold weather gear for below freezing winter mornings, and have to carry cold and warm gear at the same time in spring/fall. I still need to carry flat kits, some tools, extra gear, locks, extra battery, lunch, work cloths, etc... It can be hard on your back and very hot in the summer on your backside only having a backpack to carry extra stuff.

I have a khalkoff with an Evo motor with 80kn of talk, a throttle is not required, I always try and use bike paths, I can understand maybe when you get older it would come in handy but you have the best of both works with pedal assist power and exercise

Cal just remember that EU users don't have much choice because of their regulations and their driving situations are very different from the one in the US and Canada. If at all possible try a bike with and without a throttle at a busy intersection. So far I have never heard of anyone in the US with a throttle complaining about having it.

Back