Throttle problem...maybe?

Andrey55

Region
Europe
Hi all, I have a problem with an e-bike bought on Amazon, something cheap Varun brand (most likely Chinese) with a Keydisp 286 the problem is after I drive it for some time and let go of the throttle, the engine does not stop, it continues to go as if it were on automatic pilot, for example if I drive for 2-3 minutes at a speed of 30 km per hour and let go of the throttle, it continues to go at the same speed both uphill and downhill. How do I adjust this? Is there a problem with the engine? Throttle? or any setting from the display?

Could be a bad hall sensor in the throttle. Generic replacements are fairly cheap but you need to find one with a matching connector.

If you post some pics of the throttle and connector, you might get a more specific response.

I've only had this problem when the throttle sticks, always because the hand grip was too close.

One exception being a problem with cruise control locking in. This was a design intent. if the throttle was held on for a minute or more, but only if cruise was enabled by the controller wiring. I could find nothing wrong with my wires. My other controllers, which were the same, didn't do it. SInce it was very rare that we used throttle that long, we just lived with it til the controller failed after a few years,

The motor should stop when you apply the brake. If it does not, you need to find the brake switch connectors. Then buy brake handles with switches that plug into those connectors and install them on the bike. A bike with out brake handles that stop the motor is a hazard.
You could buy another throttle with the same connector and see if that solves the problem. In the US on ebay they are about $13.

The motor should stop when you apply the brake. If it does not, you need to find the brake switch connectors. Then buy brake handles with switches that plug into those connectors and install them on the bike. A bike with out brake handles that stop the motor is a hazard.
You could buy another throttle with the same connector and see if that solves the problem. In the US on ebay they are about $13.
the motor stops when I press the brake, the problem is that when I release the throttle the engine continues to run. I will buy a new throttle and come with an update.

One exception being a problem with cruise control locking in. This was a design intent. if the throttle was held on for a minute or more, but only if cruise was enabled by the controller wiring.

That's exactly how the cruise control works on my old e-bike.

20221204_152450.jpg

I only have to hold my throttle steady for about 10 seconds to engage the cruise control.

the motor stops when I press the brake, the problem is that when I release the throttle the engine continues to run.

Next time the throttle sticks, what happens if you give it more throttle?

^^^ What harryS said.

Once my cruise control is set, it is canceled when I touch either brake, or touch the throttle again.
If you blip the throttle and the engine stops running, then you have automatic cruise control.

I like it personally. I'm always counting to 10 so I can let go of the throttle.

Last edited:
That's exactly how the cruise control works on my old e-bike.

View attachment 170393

I only have to hold my throttle steady for about 10 seconds to engage the cruise control.

^^^ What harryS said.

Once my cruise control is set, it is canceled when I touch either brake, or touch the throttle again.
If you blip the throttle and the engine stops running, then you have automatic cruise control.

I like it personally. I'm always counting to 10 so I can let go of the throttle.
this is exactly what happens to me, the problem is that I don't know where to turn off Cruise control because nothing about it appears in the settings.

this is exactly what happens to me, the problem is that I don't know where to turn off Cruise control because nothing about it appears in the settings.

It's probably a wire to disconnect but I have no idea which one or where it is.

I like the way it works personally.
I wish my new ebike worked the same way.

You might be able to get used to it now that you know how it works.
If you want to turn off the cruise, you just let go of the throttle then give it a quick blip, or a quick tap of a brake.

Last edited:
Back