Thought I'd go faster up a hill

Redeemed

I've had the RadCity for a week now and all riding has been on level ground...love it. I have a hill next to me that is a mile long at a 10% incline I've wanted to try and today was the day. I was hoping to zip up the hill at 20 MPH, but that didn't happen. More like 10 MPH in 2nd gear @ 3 assist level. It was more of a workout than I had expected. But I would have never made it up the hill with my Kona 21 speed without stopping numerous times...so I'm happy with that! So, what has been you experience going up step hills, I'd like to know?

I found that out on the test ride. Rad Power has some tough hills by their store. I think people assume these are like little motorcycles but even motorcycles chug on hills.

The climb would be easier with a geared hub, and much easier with a mid-drive, but all will work you and probably be slower than you'd expect. The boost is still worth the price of admission, though. :) You are turning a 48 tooth chainring on the RadCity which is a bit tall for hills. If you could drop a few teeth to reduce your work load and spin a little faster you might be able to climb quicker.

I found that out on the test ride. Rad Power has some tough hills by their store. I think people assume these are like little motorcycles but even motorcycles chug on hills.

not my motorcycles :)

450-chumstick.jpg

I have a Rover with geared hub. I zip up steep hills like it's nothing. PAS 5 and 3rd gear. Easy.

Kobe posted a cool video of him taking his Rover off road a bit.
It is a good example of about how far you can push these bikes.

I have a Rover with geared hub. I zip up steep hills like it's nothing. PAS 5 and 3rd gear. Easy.

I just ordered da RadRover and am interested in a geared hub. Can I ask what unit you got? I see a few on Amazon, but they have 350W motors. I hate to give up the 750W that comes with the RR.

I just ordered da RadRover and am interested in a geared hub. Can I ask what unit you got? I see a few on Amazon, but they have 350W motors. I hate to give up the 750W that comes with the RR.
The RadRover has a geared hub motor. You don't have to give up that 750 watts.

Last edited:
I added a thumb throttle to my Radrover and that really comes in handy if you hit a shorter steep incline in a lower PAS. I wish the PAS control pad was set to go up/down one PAS level only when pressed each time compared jumping multiple levels sometimes if you happen to press too long (easy to do on a bumpy trail). I even use the throttle near the top of hill if my speed and pedal rpms start to drop too low.

The Rover does the job for me for the types of hills I encounter work commuting and off road. I just need to remember to downshift before I drop too much speed, keep my pedal speed up around 60 rpm no matter the gear, and have my thumb ready for the throttle bump if needed.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a throttle attachment Eric - We sell those along with a few other goodies. We'll also be selling custom headlight replacements as well - YOU get to pick the internal goodies of the headlight and we hand build each unit. The machine shop is reviewing our CAD files and will be milling the all aluminum housings starting next week.

www.1859nw.com

Also I did a handful of radrover reviews on youtube. You probably seen them but if not - www.youtube.com/adammjarvis

Either way you'll love the Rover!!! I'm finally taking mine back out later this AM for a much needed ride. I was in the process of moving out of state this past month plus with the 110+ heat in NorCal I just didn't have time to go riding the Rover after our mid July camp trip. Here I am nearly two months later about to hop back on and go for a spin - It's almost like getting a new bike!! It was killing me not being able to ride for the last 7 weeks. But now I'm all moved to Portland, OR and have a little free time to enjoy the trails :)

Happy riding!!

Back