This thing is a Drug

GJACK

Region
USA
I think I came to Ebikes late in life which is really a good thing because unlike many experiential things arriving late mean you lose - stocks and real estate, come to mind. Not with an EMTB, I have never owned a thing - where after every experience with this bike, I want to care for it - I clean it, wash it, oil it, get it ready for the next ride. I thought this feeling would wear off after awhile but it hasn't. Can't explain it. I have done a lot of things - avid river runner-started with kayaks -drift boats, now rafts - run a ton of rivers in the west. Love to fly-fish for trout, steelhead, salmon. Both sons are guides. Love to hunt for chukars with my sons, love to hunt duck with my sons, and love to train dogs to hunt. etc...etc....meaning - I mean-- I love being outside. Bikes-do that. I quit using my MTB a couple of years ago because I got lazy. The uphill became a grind - hurt, etc. even when doing it with my oldest son, I lost my desire for MTB-ing.

I had a friend delivering Christmas cards on her E-bike to get me interested in what these bikes were about. She said she was able to stay up with her husband, an avid roadie and that she loved it. That's when I began researching e bikes. I researched this forum and other places and ended up getting a EMTB. It was love at first ride. E-MTBing is a drug. The bike has literally taken me from being 67 to 37 years old. I didn't get it to commute, I didn't get it to replace a car, I didn't get it to exercise. I got it (minus my 401K) because I like being outside and exploring. Eco mode is all I needed, although I burn watts towards the end of ride if any are left. I just needed a little bit of a lift. These machines are amazing -Hey, Iike I said, I'm late to the party but that's okay. Does this drug ever wear off? I don't see it-outdoors -exploring using what strength you have - this bike is an Avatar. Okay time to oil my chain.

O

I think I came to Ebikes late in life which is really a good thing because unlike many experiential things arriving late mean you lose - stocks and real estate, come to mind. Not with an EMTB, I have never owned a thing - where after every experience with this bike, I want to care for it - I clean it, wash it, oil it, get it ready for the next ride. I thought this feeling would wear off after awhile but it hasn't. Can't explain it. I have done a lot of things - avid river runner-started with kayaks -drift boats, now rafts - run a ton of rivers in the west. Love to fly-fish for trout, steelhead, salmon. Both sons are guides. Love to hunt for chukars with my sons, love to hunt duck with my sons, and love to train dogs to hunt. etc...etc....meaning - I mean-- I love being outside. Bikes-do that. I quit using my MTB a couple of years ago because I got lazy. The uphill became a grind - hurt, etc. even when doing it with my oldest son, I lost my desire for MTB-ing.

I had a friend delivering Christmas cards on her E-bike to get me interested in what these bikes were about. She said she was able to stay up with her husband, an avid roadie and that she loved it. That's when I began researching e bikes. I researched this forum and other places and ended up getting a EMTB. It was love at first ride. E-MTBing is a drug. The bike has literally taken me from being 67 to 37 years old. I didn't get it to commute, I didn't get it to replace a car, I didn't get it to exercise. I got it (minus my 401K) because I like being outside and exploring. Eco mode is all I needed, although I burn watts towards the end of ride if any are left. I just needed a little bit of a lift. These machines are amazing -Hey, Iike I said, I'm late to the party but that's okay. Does this drug ever wear off? I don't see it-outdoors -exploring using what strength you have - this bike is an Avatar. Okay time to oil my chain. O
Welcome to EBR and thanks for sharing your story.

I hear ya. A lot of us are similar age and coming to it “late” since the ebike industry has hit its maturity just in the last three or so years. I bought my Trek Allant+7 for exercise and light touring but loved it immediately. Still do.👍

Great writing, Jack,
me too!
So now, I've sold several of my 'sportsman's tools for hunting' in this big demand UP market ( retained the cartridges )
$,$$$ for, mid-drive(s), 'donor' bicycles and upgraded components, a commercial eBike, hitch rack, extra clothes
It's the best, may sell off the fishing equipment next.
Mike

I had a friend delivering Christmas cards on her E-bike to get me interested in what these bikes were about. She said she was able to stay up with her husband, an avid roadie and that she loved it. That's when I began researching e bikes. I researched this forum and other places and ended up getting a EMTB. It was love at first ride. E-MTBing is a drug. The bike has literally taken me from being 67 to 37 years old. I didn't get it to commute, I didn't get it to replace a car, I didn't get it to exercise. I got it (minus my 401K) because I like being outside and exploring. Eco mode is all I needed, although I burn watts towards the end of ride if any are left. I just needed a little bit of a lift. These machines are amazing -Hey, Iike I said, I'm late to the party but that's okay. Does this drug ever wear off? I don't see it-outdoors -exploring using what strength you have - this bike is an Avatar. Okay time to oil my chain.

O

Great uplifting story. What model Ebike is your drug of choice?

I had a friend delivering Christmas cards on her E-bike to get me interested in what these bikes were about. She said she was able to stay up with her husband, an avid roadie and that she loved it. That's when I began researching e bikes. I researched this forum and other places and ended up getting a EMTB. It was love at first ride. E-MTBing is a drug. The bike has literally taken me from being 67 to 37 years old. I didn't get it to commute, I didn't get it to replace a car, I didn't get it to exercise. I got it (minus my 401K) because I like being outside and exploring. Eco mode is all I needed, although I burn watts towards the end of ride if any are left. I just needed a little bit of a lift. These machines are amazing -Hey, Iike I said, I'm late to the party but that's okay. Does this drug ever wear off? I don't see it-outdoors -exploring using what strength you have - this bike is an Avatar. Okay time to oil my chain

Well said Gjack!
Riding an ebike is so very much being a little kid again. I too am addicted to cycling with my ebikes and have no plans for getting “treatment”.
No, you are not late to the party. Anytime getting an ebike is a perfect time, especially if it keeps us active and outdoors.
Kudos to your friend delivering xmas cards. How fun!
How about some pics of you and your bike?

O
Welcome to EBR. Where do you ride ? Single track or trails only? Or some roads, too? And be sure to post a pic or two.

Taylor57 & Marci jo, I ended up with a Levo Comp, but more out of impulse and fear than by rational judgement. I had researched a lot of bikes on-line and wanted something to replace my older Giant - Trance full suspension (which I bought off my son). My first real MTB was a Trek 7000 - hard tail. I wanted something that had those capabilities. Any way after researching I settled on a bike that was in the $4K range. I tried to find a local LBS that had the bike but everything required an order with up to 6 month wait. That's when the fear set in. It happens when you start getting older, you start thinking 6 month's! that could represent 10% of the rest of my life - and I hadn't even ridden one yet. Next day I went to another LBS shop and in the front area they had a bunch of commuter bikes and I thought well, at least I will get a feel for what the electric motor does. I walked to the back of the shop around the service island and that's where I saw those gleaming electric mtn. bikes and I thought "that's what am talking about". This is when the impulse began to set it. These things were $2300 more than I even planned on spending. The owner must of recognized me immediately as a mark and asked if I wanted a test ride. I test rode the only one that was the right size on a flat back alley for less than 2 min. and immediately understood the implications of what it could do. Never tried turbo, as the eco mode told me all I needed and the trail mode surprised me with the amount of power. I walked back in the shop rolling the bike and said "I need this thing but I've got to go home and do some justifications". The owner told me I need to but $500 down if I want to hold it; 3 days later I had the bike. I don't regret a penny spent which is very unusual as I am known for buyer's remorse. That's also how I know this thing is a drug. It was obviously impulsive and based on fear as I knew these bikes would be gone within a week or two. The fear was somewhat justified because I took it back for an adjustment and there were no more levo bikes. Sorry for the long explanation but thought there should be some background on my somewhat baseless choice.

Welcome to EBR. Where do you ride ? Single track or trails only? Or some roads, too? And be sure to post a pic or two.
I am in Oregon and ride at the South end of the Willamette Valley. Oakridge area in the summer/fall which has logging roads leading to downhill single track. Easy access, logging roads in the winter locally from my house.

That bike is considered a super bike on here. You did very well to grab it when you could. Many (s)miles to you !

Great writing, Jack,
me too!
So now, I've sold several of my 'sportsman's tools for hunting' in this big demand UP market ( retained the cartridges )
$,$$$ for, mid-drive(s), 'donor' bicycles and upgraded components, a commercial eBike, hitch rack, extra clothes
It's the best, may sell off the fishing equipment next.
Mike
Exact same here. 👍

Taylor57 & Marci jo, I ended up with a Levo Comp, but more out of impulse and fear than by rational judgement. I had researched a lot of bikes on-line and wanted something to replace my older Giant - Trance full suspension (which I bought off my son). My first real MTB was a Trek 7000 - hard tail. I wanted something that had those capabilities. Any way after researching I settled on a bike that was in the $4K range. I tried to find a local LBS that had the bike but everything required an order with up to 6 month wait. That's when the fear set in. It happens when you start getting older, you start thinking 6 month's! that could represent 10% of the rest of my life - and I hadn't even ridden one yet. Next day I went to another LBS shop and in the front area they had a bunch of commuter bikes and I thought well, at least I will get a feel for what the electric motor does. I walked to the back of the shop around the service island and that's where I saw those gleaming electric mtn. bikes and I thought "that's what am talking about". This is when the impulse began to set it. These things were $2300 more than I even planned on spending. The owner must of recognized me immediately as a mark and asked if I wanted a test ride. I test rode the only one that was the right size on a flat back alley for less than 2 min. and immediately understood the implications of what it could do. Never tried turbo, as the eco mode told me all I needed and the trail mode surprised me with the amount of power. I walked back in the shop rolling the bike and said "I need this thing but I've got to go home and do some justifications". The owner told me I need to but $500 down if I want to hold it; 3 days later I had the bike. I don't regret a penny spent which is very unusual as I am known for buyer's remorse. That's also how I know this thing is a drug. It was obviously impulsive and based on fear as I knew these bikes would be gone within a week or two. The fear was somewhat justified because I took it back for an adjustment and there were no more levo bikes. Sorry for the long explanation but thought there should be some background on my somewhat baseless choice.
Nice purchase. Welcome to EBR-good group of folk...

Yup, same here. I knew within 5 minutes of my first test ride the I would eventually have one. Was way back in 2015 and that particular bike was impossible for me to lift and haul. Of course the technology changed and now I have 2. Maybe another one in Spring??
Gjack, your lbs owner knows his product and how addicting they are.
Congrats.

It's improbably comfortable, Randall. I imagine a lazy bike gang: Katy Starr on my Lovelec, Anice on her Como, Jacek on my Giant, @Brix on her Vado, @Jerzy Bańkowski on his traditional bike, and I? Bear in mind: Vado belongs to Brix (when she comes over from London).

Back