this $1500 electric bike ships right to your door

e-boy

https://www.chargebikes.com/

1593047017184.jpeg

Right to your door! No Way!

Yes Way !
“Charge is notable for another reason: It’s a new direct-to-consumer brand overseen by Dorel Industries, a conglomerate that owns Cannondale, GT, and Schwinn. And in the world of bikes, this is radical thinking.” ...

I think what’s interesting here is that Cannondale , traditionally sold at LBS , is setting up a direct to consumer division .

I think the folding handlebar and pedals are actually kind of brilliant. Looking forward to someone else confirming that they don't compromise safety or rideability :)

I wonder if Cannondale or Schwinn will adjust/service this bike. How is their customer service?

I think the folding handlebar and pedals are actually kind of brilliant. Looking forward to someone else confirming that they don't compromise safety or rideability :)

Is that a folding stem? or does it just need to be twisted into position, and tightened with a few allen bolts? because that might be how it came in the box, straight to your door. :)
But joking aside it looks like a $1500 ebike to me.
Guess you need reviews to say if it is worth more.
Lots of brands will sell direct to the customer, that does not always mean the value is better. And you will lose local bike shop after care.

Even if the rest of the specs checked all the boxes, that rack mounted battery makes it a non contender here.

And I agree there's nothing special about direct to your door bike sales. What seperated the boys from the men are warranties backed by companies with know track records.

Is that a folding stem? or does it just need to be twisted into position, and tightened with a few allen bolts? because that might be how it came in the box, straight to your door. :)
But joking aside it looks like a $1500 ebike to me.
Guess you need reviews to say if it is worth more.
Lots of brands will sell direct to the customer, that does not always mean the value is better. And you will lose local bike shop after care.
quick release clamp with a safety latch you have to disengage with your thumb

XC11_1500x1500_19794533-e7c2-4d47-8a91-b76b543a79c9_1500x1500.jpg

I agree the Comfort model is blah, but the City and XC models look pretty nice. The XC would be compelling if it were priced at $1999 instead of $2299. While I think their packaging and assembly solutions are well thought out, I don't think that's likely to be enough of a differentiater for them.

If their main appeal is going to be on removing consumer pain points, then a longer warranty and strong support are crucial.

BTW - they do have a small 'test ride' / dealer network

The frame looks quite nice on the xc but the componants are not what should come on a $2300 bike in my opinion, for that price I would like to see better groupset like SLX maybe and a fork upgrade.
And I would be a bit afraid to use folding pedals and stem off road.
Makes more sense on a commuter style bike like the other models but seems like a comprimise on a bike intended on light off road use.

Clearly some comprises here but still may be a good value priced bike in the Charge Comfort and City versions. 250W hub motor, very basic display and controls, no motor cutoff on brakes that I can see. Other basic (and easy to find) parts. I think the intent is to get this to the customer directly in a value priced package which the customer can put together in about 10-20 minutes with minimal fuss, torque wrenching, connecting wires, and fiddling with settings.

Easy setup and simple video instructions to get going. Bike arrives in a narrow box like a 55" LCD TV. Unzip box cover, bike comes out easily, handlebars pre-installed and twist-lock into position. Pedals snap up and open. Front wheel even comes with its own cardboard stand for installing onto frame. Install battery and off you go.

Seller indicates Cannondale LBS's will service and do warranty work.

Seller indicates Cannondale LBS's will service and do warranty work.
Looking at the Charge Bikes warranty is it usual for bike warranties to just cover the cost of replacement parts but not the bike shop labor, or is this just a Direct To Customer brand thing...answered my own question, looking at bikesdirect.com they don't cover labor either. Doesn't seem a compelling proposition if you are able to buy from one of their dealers who tell you they will cover labor for warranty work on another brand they sell but not on your Charge Bike, in which case wouldn't the potential customer just buy a cheaper 250w Bafang hub motor ebike from any other DTC brand? I expect these fill a niche on the sales floor for Dorel's dealers, there's one across the road from me and their only other $1,500 ebikes are the Electra Townie Go! 7D model which doesn't have a throttle, and because the shop is in a built-up urban area with lots of young people living in apartments the folding handlebars and pedals do make it convenient to store the bike indoors.

Last edited:
What a concept! My Rad only got within 15 feet of my door. I had to yard it up onto the deck and into the house.

Back