These bikes are too powerful!

Pally

Region
USA
I am wanting to buy a e bike because my knees are getting worse and we have hilly areas so I just want a little help getting up those yet I want to get exercise too. I love the aventon Pace 500 because it is so comfortable but I had it at level one pa and I don't want that much assistance! I really have no interest having to go 20mph an hour or even 15-18 for that matter. I did see a you tube that says you can adjust the Aventon so it would have so much kick. Maybe I should look for a class 1 without throttle? But I do want to make it up the hills! Thank you for feedback.

Look for any ebike with a torque sensor. How fast you go will be proportional to how much effort you put in with your pedaling. You will not go 20 mph unless you yourself are pedaling fast/hard enough to go that fast.

You should have read the "known problems & solutions" on the aventon brand forum. They have been known for years for PAS level 1 being too powerful and too fast. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-aventon-products-help-solutions-fixes.25542/
My ebikeling PAs level 1 accelerated too fast & went to fast for bad pavement. So I deleted the PAS sensor and run it with throttle only. The pas sensor has to be plugged in, but it doesn't have to touch the magnet wheel.
A brand with torque sensors and a shorter "known problems & solutions" thread is surface604. The rook is a drop frame bike for those who aren't as flexible as they were in their fifties. https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=397c...wNGJpa2VzLmNhL3Byb2R1Y3RzLzIwMjItcm9vaw&ntb=1

I am wanting to buy a e bike because my knees are getting worse and we have hilly areas so I just want a little help getting up those yet I want to get exercise too. I love the aventon Pace 500 because it is so comfortable but I had it at level one pa and I don't want that much assistance! I really have no interest having to go 20mph an hour or even 15-18 for that matter. I did see a you tube that says you can adjust the Aventon so it would have so much kick. Maybe I should look for a class 1 without throttle? But I do want to make it up the hills! Thank you for feedback.
First, a class 1 is going to have the same power yours has. The throttle has nothing to do with the issue. 2nd, it IS a very common problem with bikes in this price range. They're too fast even if it's in PAS 1. 12-13mph not unusual.

The issue is the way the electronics are programmed. When you start pedaling, a certain amount of power will be fed to the motor, any time you are pedaling, until a certain speed is reached. That speed is determined by PAS level.

To control your speed, you can pedal, stop pedaling and coast for a bit, then pedal again. Running in a taller gear often helps moderate the acceleration (slows it down) while pedaling. Riding in PAS 0, with no power assist, is also an option many times

Give it a chance. Most people get used to them after riding for a bit.

OP has bad knees imo a euro mid drive is a bad idea- there are cadence bikes that are programmed smoothly

My suggestion would be see if you can change the settings in the display first and calm down the pas

First, a class 1 is going to have the same power yours has. The throttle has nothing to do with the issue. 2nd, it IS a very common problem with bikes in this price range. They're too fast even if it's in PAS 1. 12-13mph not unusual.

The issue is the way the electronics are programmed. When you start pedaling, a certain amount of power will be fed to the motor, any time you are pedaling, until a certain speed is reached. That speed is determined by PAS level.

To control your speed, you can pedal, stop pedaling and coast for a bit, then pedal again. Running in a taller gear often helps moderate the acceleration (slows it down) while pedaling. Riding in PAS 0, with no power assist, is also an option many times

Give it a chance. Most people get used to them after riding for a bit.
I guess I rather get exercise than try and control the coasting. I want to try Blix. Have to take a trip to Chicago for that though. That’s ok. It’s like 1 min away from where my brother lives.

I happened to have gotten hurt at work in nov and can tell you for sure that the torque bikes bother my knee and the cadence bikes are not bothering it hardly at all

I won’t waste my time on this thread anymore but you can get as much exercise on a cadence bike as a torque bike
Just because you accidentally picked a lousy programmed cadence bike does not mean they are all that way

You shouldn’t get to 20mph on pas 1..
pas 1 would be around 10% current depending on how it’s programmed and around 10mph with you pedaling decently

Turn off PAS and pedal normally. When your knees start aching turn on the PAS.

Maybe I should look for a class 1 without throttle? But I do want to make it up the hills! Thank you for feedback.
Maybe a dumb question, but you aren't using the throttle while you're pedaling in PAS 1 are you? The throttle will override the PAS setting. You can do 20 mph with PAS off, and without pedaling.

TT

Maybe I should look at class 1 - no throttle bike. Just looking for not so much help with assisting unless I’m climbing a hill. In other words, not so much torque. Just maybe a 10% help on pa 1 and then slightly more on 2. I saw that you tube someone posted that showed that you could tone the Aventon bike down on the torque by playing around with the buttons. I need the bike for a day and try it out.

I won’t waste my time on this thread anymore but you can get as much exercise on a cadence bike as a torque bike
Just because you accidentally picked a lousy programmed cadence bike does not mean they are all that way
I have only tried bikes at the bike store so far. Can you let me know the difference between a cadence bike and a torque bike? Thank you.

I have only tried bikes at the bike store so far. Can you let me know the difference between a cadence bike and a torque bike? Thank you.
Cadence just picks up how fast you’re spinning the pedals..
torque sensors pick up how much pressure you’re applying

My first bike was a Rad with a hub drive and cadence sensor. I never liked it. I'm assuming the OP's bike is cadence versus torque sensor. On the Rad, all I had to do was turn the pedals and it took off to the speed of the particular level setting. Never felt like a riding a real bike. I think a lot of first time buyers don't understand the difference between cadence sensors and torque sensors, I didn't when I purchased my first ebike.

Last edited:
Back