The Whining Thread :-)

Brambor

Sometimes life gets in a way of a good plan. In addition bad luck events seem to stagger up.
Here is my contribution:
- 2 weeks ago my cat gets hit by a car. badly. After 3 days of trying I have to take him to the vet and subsequently put him to sleep
- 2 weeks ago we fly to the Carribean to attend a wedding on the return flight from Mexico to Philly we hit a tornado, plane enters some kind of 'void' and drops down so fast that people who are not buckled hit the ceiling, stewardesses are bouncing off the ceiling as well. Everyone freaked out, paramedics at the gate.
+ My spouse switched jobs 2 weeks ago.
+ Her job is close to my job
+ She says she would like to bike to work with me
+ I bought her an e-bike - yay
- Ebike comes in, the battery door lock is stuck, can not be opened
- My son turns the key hard and breaks it off in the lock
- I take it to the best locksmith in town, they tell me it's the wrong key for the lock, they can not open - proceed to remove the lock - still can not open the battery door (wtf!)
- I contact the manufacturer, no response for 2 days until I call get to reach them on the phone
- They reject my claim that I got wrong key for the lock, in general the conversation was slightly condescending and unsupportive
+ I call the place I purchased the bike from. They provide reasonably quick support, are super friendly, after some unsuccessful attempts to open the battery door they agree to send me a replacement bike.
- Bike takes over a week to ship due to some issues with manufacturer changing rules on drop shipping. It should arrive soon (I hope)
- This meant I had to drive my son to school and thus I could not commute by bicycle to work.
+ Thought to be a temporary setback, I knew that my son is scheduled for his driver's exam soon and will drive by himself.
- yesterday he failed the first driving test. Next exam is in 2 weeks
+ there will be a few days when my spouse has a day off midweek when I will be able to bike to work. +Yesterday I biked to work on my regular bike and it was wonderful. Last week on tuesday I got to bike to work. On my lunch break I biked to my LBS.
- On one intersection where the bike lane narrows, I traveled alongside the string of traffic cars when the car next to me took a right hand turn. Sideswiped me, bike pedal got caught in it's front tire, I flew for a second, landed on my left rib cage, could not grasp a breath, passed out, woke up happy to be here. Bike is totalled (insured) but the insurance process has not been finalized (12 and counting)
+ injured ribs heal slow but yesterday I got to bike to work for the first time since the accident.
~ two broken ebikes on the porch, 2 regular bikes on the porch save the day
- a racoon (I think) comes to raid my chicken food pellets on the porch, knocks over my wife's ebike, bike's left brake lever strikes rock wall and breaks in half. Now I will ship back the broken bike with a broken lever and offer to pay for the replacement.

Last edited:
Blimey, I think that I'll keep quiet about the minor niggles in my life.

Lets hope that things turn around a bit rapidly for you all. :)

Wow, and here I was bragging about having commuted by e-bike 30 times since February, without any traffic incidents, and only one flat tire. I think I somehow stole some of your blessings! :oops:

Hmm... that's a lot of challenges Brambor. Hang in there man! Sending good thoughts your way. Here are some of my gripes:
  • Haven't had a shower in three days
  • Sleeping in my car, eating black beans and tuna fish every day
  • Stepped in gum the other day and then found some stuck to the bottom of a table
  • Driving hundreds of miles back and forth on the East Coast to meet some people I missed on the way up
  • Internet at the truck stop is really, really slow (making it harder to post reviews and videos) :)
Overall, not too bad. Many more things to be thankful for!

Sometimes life gets in a way of a good plan. In addition bad luck events seem to stagger up.
Here is my contribution:
- 2 weeks ago my cat gets hit by a car. badly. After 3 days of trying I have to take him to the vet and subsequently put him to sleep
- 2 weeks ago we fly to the Carribean to attend a wedding on the return flight from Mexico to Philly we hit a tornado, plane enters some kind of 'void' and drops down so fast that people who are not buckled hit the ceiling, stewardesses are bouncing off the ceiling as well. Everyone freaked out, paramedics at the gate.
+ My spouse switched jobs 2 weeks ago.
+ Her job is close to my job
+ She says she would like to bike to work with me
+ I bought her an e-bike - yay
- Ebike comes in, the battery door lock is stuck, can not be opened
- My son turns the key hard and breaks it off in the lock
- I take it to the best locksmith in town, they tell me it's the wrong key for the lock, they can not open - proceed to remove the lock - still can not open the battery door (wtf!)
- I contact the manufacturer, no response for 2 days until I call get to reach them on the phone
- They reject my claim that I got wrong key for the lock, in general the conversation was slightly condescending and unsupportive
+ I call the place I purchased the bike from. They provide reasonably quick support, are super friendly, after some unsuccessful attempts to open the battery door they agree to send me a replacement bike.
- Bike takes over a week to ship due to some issues with manufacturer changing rules on drop shipping. It should arrive soon (I hope)
- This meant I had to drive my son to school and thus I could not commute by bicycle to work.
+ Thought to be a temporary setback, I knew that my son is scheduled for his driver's exam soon and will drive by himself.
- yesterday he failed the first driving test. Next exam is in 2 weeks
+ there will be a few days when my spouse has a day off midweek when I will be able to bike to work. +Yesterday I biked to work on my regular bike and it was wonderful. Last week on tuesday I got to bike to work. On my lunch break I biked to my LBS.
- On one intersection where the bike lane narrows, I traveled alongside the string of traffic cars when the car next to me took a right hand turn. Sideswiped me, bike pedal got caught in it's front tire, I flew for a second, landed on my left rib cage, could not grasp a breath, passed out, woke up happy to be here. Bike is totalled (insured) but the insurance process has not been finalized (12 and counting)
+ injured ribs heal slow but yesterday I got to bike to work for the first time since the accident.
~ two broken ebikes on the porch, 2 regular bikes on the porch save the day
- a racoon (I think) comes to raid my chicken food pellets on the porch, knocks over my wife's ebike, bike's left brake lever strikes rock wall and breaks in half. Now I will ship back the broken bike with a broken lever and offer to pay for the replacement.
Just like Facebook there should be an unlike button. Hang in there man!

;)Haven't you read? "Thou shall not have any other gods before me..."

I get hammered with that from my wife on a regular basis! Occasionally, the Lord gives me a gentle reminder as well with my own string of unfortunate events, to remind me of my priorities.

Speedy recovery and give us some more good reports!

Here is a good report: my son finishes his school year next monday. I will be commuting by tuesday. The bike has been replaced, the ribs are improving and see the glass is half full. ;-)

Back