The transition

I booked train from Germany to Poland a couple of summers ago for a group. Very convenient if the train is going from where you are to where you want to be.

When I traveled to Europe on business years ago, we rented cars.
 
I booked train from Germany to Poland a couple of summers ago for a group. Very convenient if the train is going from where you are to where you want to be.

When I traveled to Europe on business years ago, we rented cars.
It really depends on the country. For instance, Germany after having had chosen the car/Autobahn managed to neglect her railroad system to the level the Deutsche Bahn is a laugh in Europe. While Poland has built both the excellent road and railway system for the last 20+ years. (Now, the same is done for the aviation). Moreover, the government has understood the value of the railroad; many old routes are restored nowadays.

There are Euro countries in which I feel the car rental is the right thing, for example Ireland or Italy. On the other hand, the UK is pretty good with the public transportation, it is only pretty expensive there. We once had a railroad trip London -> Liverpool -> Chester -> Anglesey/Holyhead -> ferry over the Irish sea -> Dublin and back; cannot complain at all. We also had a mini-vacation in Kent England only travelling by trains. Cannot complain at all!

The public transport in Zealand/Sjaelland Denmark is a dream!

Regarding trip planning, each country has its own trip planner. I think the CityMapper is the best for the UK. We use jakdojade in Poland. Google Maps public transportation is not bad at all where I have been.
 
Back