THE NEW RPB CITY STEP THRU - CITY & TRAILS TOO

With a Rad City, although I only ride roads, I'm enjoying to read about the tremendous capabilities of this bike...I'm going in the other direction and slowly turning this hybrid into a road rider...narrow tires and all...it blasts down the road as it is now...wait until close gears and the rest are installed!

It has a good solid frame that doesn't wobble and should take power upgrades nicely.
Before spending a lot of money though, might want to check and see what Luna has available.
We are not far from when electric motorcycles catch on.
Not sure if it is all that power motorcycle riders want or just to make a lot of noise.
I'm willing to ride in quiet solitude, especially when it doesn't cost anything...

ME & MY TWO RADS
SoCal has some excellent trails to ride on the sands of the Mojave Desert. Fortunately a lot of it is hard packed but there are soft spots the equivalent of soft beach sand. The typical trail ride here will have you running thru portions of each, but it is not impossible for any bike to traverse as shown by the road bikes and their narrow tires that travel on some of them. The two RAD Power Bikes I have do exceptionally well, each performing a little differently, but certainly able to tackle any terrain the desert has to offer. I rode thru the desert for years on motorcycles tricked out for desert racing. Can't do that anymore because the desert has been closed off to offroading except for designated areas and occasional sanctioned events. But I can still have fun riding on secluded back roads and trails on a 2017 RAD Rover and my new 2018 Rad City Step Thru. That's fine because the potential to bonzai down these trails needs to be reined in somewhat because afterall, they are not mountain bikes and won't hold up to the harsh treatment those bikes normally get. The two bikes that are quite different structurally, but since the Step Thru is new I'll be talking about it most and will mention first that there is no need to be timid about riding trails just because your new Step Thru is a city commuter bike, it is also equipped for trail rides and holds its own with its power and its 26'x2.3" dual purpose tires.

CITY COMMUTE & TRAILS TOO
The RAD City Step Thru is powered by a Shengyi rear hub motor and although not having the low end thrust of the Rover, when in throttle mode it gradually gains power as speed increases, but gains full power quickly when pedaling in power assist mode. The rider never has to be concerned about a sudden thrust forward on the Step Thru. It behaves very well and can still be ridden everywhere the Rover can travel, and while getting accustomed to riding it, ran it thru different areas of difficulty just to see how well it performs. It blasts thru patches of soft sand that would stop a road bike in it's tracks. This is because the tires are the same tread and width found on many mountain bikes, and they are built for traction on all sorts of surfaces. They are not intended for all-day riding in soft sand, but regardless the Step Thru will still develop power quickly from a dead stop in first gear in power assist mode. Getting started in soft sand just using the throttle takes a little coaxing for it to finally develop sufficient power. This is when shifting down before needing the low end boost helps to keep from getting bogged down unnecessarily in a difficult situation. Each push of the gear shift button raises the gear to the next higher gear, and pushing the lever switches gears down to the next lower gear. Button Up, Lever Down.

PEDAL POWER
Riding offroad in pedal only mode with no help from the motor entirely blew away my original thinking. It is quite easy, and it's nice knowing that if somehow all the power gets used up, the bike can still be pedaled just like a real bicycle. 90% of the trails I ride can be ridden easily and without any real effort using pedal power only. That is unless it is pushing against the wind, in which case when climbing steep sandy hills its best to be in at least step 3 of power assisted mode or risk stalling out halfway up the hill. Afterall, that is why we buy e-bikes - for the POWER! Otherwise on an excellent day for riding with no wind, I can take either bike and never use any power at all to ride the 15 miles into town on a trail that runs up and down hills and through washouts. The ride back is even easier with some fast downhills.

POWER ASSIST MODE
In addition to the introduction of a new style of city bike, 2018 at RPB also saw some changes in bike design and new power components. The 5 power assist modes on the new City limit the bike's speed while pedaling so I always put it on step 5 as I start up the hill to my residence. I would guess the mile long hill to be about a 10% grade, and I have no problem topping it in 7th gear and PAS 5 at 20 MPH. Topping the hill just using the throttle is slower, but the bike wants to FLY UP THAT HILL when pedaling using power assist! The watts indicator shows about 550 watts whereas powering the bike without pedaling jumps immediately up to 750 watts while sadly bogged down at around 15 MPH.

LITTLE THINGS
The new City bike requires keeping the key close by and must be used to allow it to power up. To turn the battery power off now also requires using the key. That's probably a new safety feature that works for many riders, but I prefer the older push button on/off instead. Ah well, such is progress.

Overall I am really impressed with the design and performance of the new RAD City Step Thru and that it is even suitable for some youngsters to ride. It's an excellent bike for running errands, and for even taking a trip out on a secluded trail to get away from the noisy city and its traffic.
Hello Banzai! I truly appreciate the info you’ve provided on the Rad City Step-thru. I’m interested in buying one for me but have concerns regarding whether I’d get full leg extension and wrist fatigue/pain. It sounds as though the Rad City Step-thru is physically comfortable for you. Would you be willing to share your height, bike inseam, and arm reach measurements? I’m 5’ 7.5” with a 31.25” inseam, and my arm reach, from arm pit to center of palm, is 21.5”. Thank you!

Hello Banzai! I truly appreciate the info you’ve provided on the Rad City Step-thru. I’m interested in buying one for me but have concerns regarding whether I’d get full leg extension and wrist fatigue/pain. It sounds as though the Rad City Step-thru is physically comfortable for you. Would you be willing to share your height, bike inseam, and arm reach measurements? I’m 5’ 7.5” with a 31.25” inseam, and my arm reach, from arm pit to center of palm, is 21.5”. Thank you!
You may also want to look at the Aventon Pace 500 Step-thru that is $1399 (add $100 for Planet Bike Cascadia bike fenders, Ibera Bike Rack and 400 lumen USB rechargeable headlight and tail light) and is a true class 3 ebike at 28mph, has hydraulic brakes, adjustable stem and comes in 2 different sizes (small for 4.11-5.4 and medium for 5.4-5.10) and 2 colors (chalk white and celeste). They are also sold by dealers around the country so you can find one near you and see if they have one to get a test ride to see how it fits.
Click the link to find Aventon dealers near you: https://www.aventon.com/pages/find-an-aventon-dealer
Here is a recent review from Court:
https://www.aventon.com/pages/pace-500-step-through-ebike

Last edited:
Hello AugustMainer and welcome to the RAD Power Bikes forum!
Glad you found my review informative, and yes I will be happy to provide some info about the fit.
I read your post yesterday but couldn't quite figure why the concern because the City Step-Thru handlebars sit a little closer to the rider than most other bikes, and are angled to reduce fatigue in the arms/wrists. The seating measurements are entirely the same as other bikes. I like to refer to it as a sports car because of the compactness and sure handling.
My height is 5'11" and I set the distance between the pedal at its lowest position to the top of the seat at 30". I could probably go another inch, but I use this same measurement for all my bikes and it works just fine. My leg inseam is 29" and arm pit to palm is 22".
I watched Court's reviews on the Step-Thru and remember his approval at the ability to have the seat sitting all the way down on the frame, but he wouldn't ride that way, I'm sure. But best to let him answer. There is no need to be concerned about not having enough height because I'm only using about 2 inches of the seat shaft, and can raise my seat another 10 inches or so. The Suntour shock adds another five inches. Seat height is very easy to adjust on RPB bikes because there is a lever clamp, so I would think you will "fit right in" to that excellent bike.
I absolutely love that bike and put a couple of miles every day running around my residential area. I can go two or three weeks on one charge, and since my Mini gave me an extra battery, I always have a charged up spare readily available.

I took these pics after realizing that my review didn't include any shots of my handlebar arrangement, one of my first and most important changes. Although you will naturally sit upright on the City Step-Thru, it wasn't enough for my liking, so I improved it. Most of us older guys prefer to be sitting upright rather than leaned forward. Leaning forward for long rides puts a lot of weight on the wrists and they tend to cramp on me. Very important. So raising the handlebars allows sitting upright which then takes most of the weight off of the wrists, and also straightens up the back. Hitting bumps are less severe on the back when sitting upright and I also have a good cushioned seat and a seat post with a shock absorber to smooth out the rough roads and ruts. It all works very well and I'm not walking around with my back out of place anymore. You might want to Google "C7 Vertebrae injury". This is a serious condition that if ignored can cause the left arm and hand to lose all sensation and lose functioning.
The chrome neck extension is made by Delta and was ordered from Amazon. It raises your grip a full 5 inches and your wrists and back will love you for it. The handlebars are the original from RPB and didn't require purchasing any new cables, but did require some cable rerouting. I can swivel the handlebars from the extreme left to the extreme right and nothing catches or stretches.
Most people don't need to do any of these fixes, but I have fixed all my bikes this way simply because I spend a lot of time out in the rough. All my desert motorcycles were set up that way as well at a time when the desert was wide open for riding. If you don't do that kind of riding then you probably don't need to ever be concerned. Still good to know about.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Hi, we just bought this Friday am Pearl step through , and my wife wants to know what seat do you prefer tan from the electric city or cloud nine? Thank you!

Hi solrus and welcome to the RPB forum.
Both seats are comfortable and the Cloud 9 seats get most of the use. I switch around using all three of my bikes and the Step-Thru usually has the EBC tan seat mounted on a chrome Suntour shock seat post. I'm using the Step-Thru more often right now so since all the seats are easily switched in about a minute, it is very easy to shuffle them around as needed. For looks I like the EBC and if spending a few hours on the bike it is the one to use for maximum comfort. And it does a good job of soaking up all the jolts when riding on a rough surface. I couldn't be without some sort of shock absorber with all the chuck holes around here that tries to put my lower back out of place.
Hope you enjoy your new RAD. I was just at the site and noticed there are still some available. That's unusual because up until recently they sold out in about ten minutes, sometimes less.
Have fun and happy trails.

Thank you! Will you posted, its our first E bike . I'm looking for middrive for myself for now, but if I like step through we will get a second one for me.

Solrus, forgive my intrusion, but it's not about bike - not much, anyway. Depends on what you wife likes and dislikes in terms of softness, pressure points, posture. On the size of her bottom, too.

City is an upright cruiser bike, so it needs a cruiser-type seat. Which usually means - slightly oversized, compared to road bike.

8" gel-filled Velo Plush works for me, I'm not heavy. Quite a capable cruiser seat.
10" Cloud 9 works a little better (keep in mind, there is a dozen Cloud 9 variations of different width and profile, some are more preferred by women and some less).
EBC is 12" wide - could be better for her or it could be too wide.

All these seats have springs (at least, my C9 does, though there is C9 without springs too) - but it is shock-absorber on seatpost that does most of the job. C9 is a decent Chinese product, not a natural leather, though it is a bit cheaper than EBC. Shock absorber raises the minimum seat height by ~3", most people don't mind but those with short inseam might not like the idea (and then the saddle should better have good padding and springs).

If none of the above will keep your wife happy and she will want a bigger seat yet, there is 13" wide Schwinn (don't remember, same 20-something bucks as C9). Or maybe she'll want a firmer seat. Or - softer. Or - with a crack in the middle. Or - without.
Some day I'll start a thread "How many bike seats do you own?" :)

Last edited:
Finally got it today. Guys how did you tension spoke, I mean tension value? I've noticed few spoke were not tensioned . Please advise

You know, that seems to be a chronic issue. I'm disappointed they just can't seem to get that right. I would say you could mess with it your self, or you could call Rad and ask them for your options.

Same thing occurred when I got my Pace 500's....I just tightened based on sound "plucking them" and just spun the wheel after every adjustment to make sure it didn't get out of round.

Hi solrus
Let me introduce you to a very knowledgeable bike mechanic named RJ The Bike Guy found on Youtube.

Look around for more on the same topic because RJ along with a few others know everything regarding bikes and they were good enough to post their knowledge in some excellent and informative videos that are totally free to watch on the Internet.
There are hundreds of videos available that cover every aspect of bicycles and their repair, including what tool you will need for each task.
Now that you have your bike you now also earn the right to fix most of the little maintenance points and then brag about it to the naysayers. And you will probably find there is not really very much to do and can take satisfaction that you made all the proper adjustments yourself.
I'm collecting a good inventory of bicycle tools because if I spend the money on tools rather than being ripped off by the local bike shop for every minor glitch, I'll have the tool already the next time it happens and it cuts down on the cost.
Amazon is an excellent source of a variety of tools and like everyone else, have found that Park Tool has the most complete and best available. Bicycle parts are also readily available unless it is a proprietary RPB part.

Mounted Thule Yepp Maxi next seat that worked with the rack . Love it and have motivation to ride with my daughter every evening for an hour or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20190506_193402918_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190506_193402918_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
Mounted Thule Yepp Maxi next seat that worked with the rack . Love it and have motivation to ride with my daughter every evening for an hour or so.

How easy or hard is the Yepp Maxi to attach? Just found out I'm going to be a first time grand-dad and I see buddy rides in my future.

Just helped my dad put together his new RC step through. I have Rover but the step through really catch’s my eye. My evil mind is thinking my wife might one and I can ride it. :p

How easy or hard is the Yepp Maxi to attach? Just found out I'm going to be a first time grand-dad and I see buddy rides in my future.

Rad Power currently offers Thule YeppMaxi rack as compatible with their bycicles. I decided to test another version Maxi Nexxt with easy fit and it worked very well, the newer version eliminates adapter and since rad city through bike has flat and sturdy rack it mounted very well eliminating extra step.

1. This is Maxi Nexxt -

2. Maxi -

Let me know if you have more questions.

Look for used on Ebay, I bought mine open box for 47$ , but shipping was 72$ from Kansas. Still half price.

Just helped my dad put together his new RC step through. I have Rover but the step through really catch’s my eye. My evil mind is thinking my wife might one and I can ride it. :p
Having extra bikes can be fun, especially when three of them are RADs. The Step-Thru is a little hot-rod when riding around my neighborhood. Perfect for running up & down hills and I keep it in 7th gear and PAS 5 all the time. But out on the trails I ride just the opposite - PAS 0 and change gears as needed. Power only when needed. Doesn't take very long riding the Rover to build strength in the legs and hills that once required using the lower gears can now be done in higher gears. After all, an e-bike is still just a bicycle, but has a little extra boost just for fun.

Exactly, I got step trough for wife with thought that gonna ride around with baby since its easy get on/off bike but found hydrid frame 2017 Haibike Xduro 4.0 for half price and waiting for it next Wed. Will see, Im nervous and and anxious same time about correct size. Rad Step is a bit small for me, but ok to cruise short distances, but I went for 20 mile ride and was a bit crunchy position.

Back