The bicycle market and tech are so obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karm

The bicycle doesn't have good components for motors. And the cycling tech and material are useless.
Speaking from personal experience, I have a Giant XTC E+ Pro which has a Yamaha motor in it.
I have the shop equipped with the best transmission gears possible.
Then I have m980 cassette and KMC e10s chain worn out under 24 hours total bike usage just a little beyond 500 miles.
Then the DT wheel swiss EX 1501 rear hub is almost done.
Then new M771 and KMC E10EPT chain installed and they are worn out under 20 hours total at about 300 miles.

All this is under the speed that my bike is still restricted at 43km/h!!! I like cycling at higher speed and use the 11T though, not just due to the fact that's the only way to be faster without pedaling like a monkey, but also a bicycle is supposed to be a very durable transportation tool, not a toy!!

This is a joke. A big fat joke in the so-called bicycle industry.

It is so surreal and so true at the same time that I can feel the cycling community is just that pathetically small and no real big muscle company like car manufactures care to touch it.

I won't argue the point that bicycle components were not designed with electric motors in mind. That said, it is foolish to think that you are going to get the kind of service life out of bicycle components the same as motorcycles or automobiles. There is just not enough metal involved, and if they put the amount of metal in where you could ride around in high gear all the time, the bike would start weighing more like, well, a motorcycle.

FWIW, using the "best" components is not always the right choice if you are primarily interested in durability. Racing components are often make to be lighter with some sacrifices in durability. You wouldn't use a racing bike (road or mountain) to do a loaded tour, for example. But I do not think any 11T cog can survive long-term constant use. Again, there is just not enough material there, and they wear out even on non-e-bikes.

The bicycle doesn't have good components for motors. And the cycling tech and material are useless.
Speaking from personal experience, I have a Giant XTC E+ Pro which has a Yamaha motor in it.
Then I have m980 cassette and KMC e10s chain worn out under 24 hours total bike usage just a little beyond 500 miles.
Then new M771 and KMC E10EPT chain installed and they are worn out under 20 hours total at about 300 miles.

All this is under the speed that my bike is still restricted at 43km/h!!! I like cycling at higher speed and use the 11T though, not just due to the fact that's the only way to be faster without pedaling like a monkey, but also a bicycle is supposed to be a very durable transportation tool, not a toy!!

It is so surreal and so true at the same time that I can feel the cycling community is just that pathetically small and no real big muscle company like car manufactures care to touch it.

Sounds like you ride it pretty hard. Are you mainly on streets or do you go off road?

You must be riding at 30 mph through an open pit asbestos mine.
I got 5000 miles out of my first chain (yuba oem 8 speed) and have about 1500 on the second, a bright plated KMC . I haven't changed a sprocket or hub yet.
Mid drives do chew up chains, but 300 miles is a new record. I avoided buying 10 speed or 11 speed chain because even pedal pushers wear them out in 1000 miles. According to roadbikereview.org
I hit 30 mph pretty frequently, but that is downhill. Uphill is more like 8. I ride on road except the last 400 yards of my camp driveway, rutted grass covered gravel.
I got 4500 miles out of my first geared hub motor, which cost a whopping $221 with wheel, controller, display, throttle, brake switches. Plastic gear wore out.
BTW hitting the pavement at 25 mph is a pain in the chin. Even if it was downhill.

Last edited:

Wow, this is the same guy a week ago that complained he wore out a new cassette in 24 hours and then called Shimano products 'crap'
He didn't even know that the Shimano cassette was not all titanium - shows he so uninformed

Every 2nd word this guy used was crap, crap crap, crap this and crap that.

Now he's back spewing the same old rant

Was a troll thread and was tossing 'turtle' insults

He’s back!

Wow, this is the same guy a week ago that complained he wore out a new cassette in 24 hours
I note the subtle change of wording here; "24 hours total bike usage just a little beyond 500 miles." So that could be 24 one hour rides, or whatever.

Shimano sells the 11T cog separately so it is not necessary to replace the entire cassette if indeed that is the only cog the OP is wearing out.

I note the subtle change of wording here; "24 hours total bike usage just a little beyond 500 miles." So that could be 24 one hour rides, or whatever.

Shimano sells the 11T cog separately so it is not necessary to replace the entire cassette if indeed that is the only cog the OP is wearing out.
Search this guys old posts. He clearly said in his other thread he wore out a brand new cassette in under 24 hours. (insinuating less than 1 day of continuous use)
Either way his claims are still what you would find in a field of cows

Waiting for the turtle insults from him

Last edited:
Bikes or ebikes needs to be ridden with cadence higher then 70rpm. 85rpm avg. . would be best. It is what it is. Profit over anything else.
Someone over 225lb pedaling in a hard gear (50x11t) at low rpm -55-60rpm would tear fown the whole Japanese drivetrain very fast. Add a motor and the wear is exponentially increased.

You taking it to the extreme but that's okay, cars are actually teated like that. We need better and stronger materials for the chainrings, cassette teeth or the whole cassette and the chains.

Search this guys old posts. He clearly said in his other thread he wore out a brand new cassette in under 24 hours.

Waiting for the turtle insults from him

I do get his point. He means a multiple of rides that get a total of 24hours. Basically grinding the drivetrain and all out power assist...the parts are not made for this kind of riding.
It's a different view , but the drivetrain parts are somehow made weak and for stronger and ruthless riders that is a problem. I can't put 1000watts from my own power to trash a drivetrain. Maybe he does...Should stick with the motorcycles 🏍 , go ride in Canada. Speed and power is a lot of fun if used responsibly.

Bikes or ebikes needs to be ridden with cadence higher then 70rpm. 85rpm avg. . would be best. It is what it is. Profit over anything else.
Someone over 225lb pedaling in a hard gear (50x11t) at low rpm -55-60rpm would tear fown the whole Japanese drivetrain very fast. Add a motor and the wear is exponentially increased.

You taking it to the extreme but that's okay, cars are actually teated like that. We need better and stronger materials for the chainrings, cassette teeth or the whole cassette and the chains.
He starts from a stop in the highest gear. To get the drivetrain components to be robust enough to survive this abuse would result in a very significant increase in weight and cost. If he would simply start in a reasonable gear, he would not have these issues.

Take a look at Wattwagons if you want a high-quality bike that will last. ;)

If you haven’t already done so, read his posts in the threads I linked above. A Watt Wagons bike will most definitely not solve his problems. With a high torque Bafang mid-drive, he would likely tear up the drivetrain in less than 12 hours, rather than 24! If I were Wattswagons, I would offer him money not to buy from me! Lol

Edit: I really don’t want to sound mean, but he is not riding the bike as it was designed to be ridden. People have tried to explain this to him before, but he doesn’t want to listen.

Last edited:

You're absolutely right. Here are millions of us mid drive ebikers, going through cassettes and chains every few hundred kilometres, quiet as sheep and suckers to an industry that keeps pumping out under specced components.

Or, if you can indulge a counter theory for a moment, you're riding your bike all wrong. Ease up turbo.

IIf you have the humility to ask for advice rather than wage holy war against the bike industry there's no shortage of helpful folks here ready to offer suggestions to improve the longevity of your components. Such as starting in an easy gear and easing off peddling when shifting.

You're absolutely right. Here are millions of us mid drive ebikers, going through cassettes and chains every few hundred kilometres, quiet as sheep and suckers to an industry that keeps pumping out under specced components.
\
if your wearing chains out that fast I am not sure if you can claim bad components. I get about 2500 miles on my chains on my bosch powered bike. I ride fast too. Yes it would be nice to find chains that can handle the torque but I odnt know if there is a large enough market to make it worth it.

E Ironman Electric Ironman destroys drivetrain after every ride . Advice : Custom made steel cassette and chain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back