The battery trend continues.

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
I have a Lowe's Kobalt 80 volt lawn care set-up. One of my spare batteries failed so I went to Lowe's looking for a new one. To my surprise they no longer support my 80 volt products! They suggested Amazon and one of the many sketchy no-name battery vendors for a replacement. After going thru battery drama at work with Amazon no-name batteries with a hand drill I know this option wont work. When it's time to replace this Kobalt stuff I'm going with a more solid brand name and "hope" the battery support/cross compatibility is better.

Oh, and I learned a fun fact! Lowe's is discontinuing the Kobalt name. It appears they don't like the name "Kobalt" to be associated with children mining the slightly toxic cobalt mineral for battery use in third world countries. All this because I like a nice looking yard but don't want to fool with gasoline powered products anymore.

Well, that sucks. I have a couple of their 80 volt tools, so I guess I’ll feel the pain at some point.

The way battery technology is evolving, I suspect this will eventually happen to everyone, regardless of brand. At the very least, we’ll need new chargers, assuming the battery will at least fit the tool.

Yup to the above. I tossed a whole set of of old, but still good, FireStorm battery tools awhile back. Granted, they were old nicad series, but they were still good. Then I discovered that Amazon sold lithium replacement batteries with a charger.

It seems most mainstream brands support cross compatibility with batteries. I'll get STIHL brand for my next lawn equipment needs.

. I'll get STIHL brand for my next lawn equipment needs.

Keep in mind that stihl has 3 different battery types and they are not compatible across tools. Four if you consider the AR back pack to AP system as a separate option!

I love my stihl electric gear - all AP series , I have a chainsaw, pole saw, and brush cutter. But I recently went looking for a hedge trimmer and the only options in the region were AK ( medium duty) .

I have a AP powered chainsaw already. The battery life is equal to a flimsy Kobalt chainsaw. The AK series is good for smaller yards but I'll go all AP when the time comes.

Pretty sure Greenworks and Kobalt are the same OEM, just with slightly different slots built into the battery casing. I know this was true on the 40v and 60v lines.

Should be able to either swap the battery case with your dead Kobalt or modify the Greenworks battery to fit into your tools fairly easily.

My 40v Max Greenworks will hopefully make it to 10yrs old in a few months.

Main reason I didn't buy a battery lawnmower last time. Patented batteries that force you to buy a new mower in 4 years. It is a PIT* pulling the starter rope 3 times everytime I take a break or blow my nose, but the Briggs & Stratton gas motor still works after 6 years.
I loaded up on Ryobi 18 v equipment, 2 saws a drill and 5 batteries. The next year they changed to all 20 v lithium batteries. The Nicad batteries lasted a year. Newark/digikey/mouser stopped carrying replacement everready nicad cells. The nicads had solder tabs welded on, I didn't need a ***+**** spot welder to solder them in. 30 lb of junk I paid $200 for.
I recently bought some dewalt tools like those I have used at work. 20 v max batteries. I have 2 drills, 3 impact drivers, 5 batteries. None of the batteries has worked more than once. The first two, dewalt sent me 2 new chargers, then 2 new batteries under warrenty. Neither the first batteries or the replacements will allow me charge them after the drill says they are dead. I have 4 chargers and 5 dewalt batteries, none will recharge. @#$*&^@#
I filed the tips of two meter probes down so I could measure the dead batteries. The dead batteries the tools won't use are measuring 16 v, not very dead.
At least the 48 v 17.5 ah battery I bought from lunabikes in 2017 still works. $700 well spent. Getting 60 miles a week out of it in two four hour runs.

Last edited:
I recently bought some dewalt tools like those I have used at work. 20 v max batteries. I have 2 drills, 3 impact drivers, 5 batteries. None of the batteries has worked more than once.
That sucks! I have 18 and 20 volt Dewalt drills, saws, sander, blower, wacker, etc. Got adapters for 18 v tools to use 20 v batteries. Everything has been working flawless from day one.

I thought I had an issue with one new battery/charger. Turned out there was a nub keeping the battery from fully seating in charger.

When a friend and I started building custom motor scooters (slammed Ruckus style) and cafe style motorcycles we got all plug-in stuff. I have a very nice plug-in drill, angle grinder, sawzaw and other "plug-in preferred" hand tools. Cold isn't a issue anymore nor is extreme heat. My garage is not climate controlled. Because I'm old school I can manage the extension cords and I know how to tie a contractors knot. But the ease of the grab and go of good modern battery tools is so nice.....

My Nintendo Switch is a first gen model and has been used to death. Untitled Goose Game, Inside, Tempest 3000 and The Stanley Parable keep that old Switch constantly running. My battery is loosing its charge and I'll need a new one soon. I'm only using a Nintendo approved battery for the replacement. Not yet ready to buy a new OLED model (I don't know what I'm missing because I've never seen a OLED in person) and I'd rather wait for the next Pro version.

Main reason I didn't buy a battery lawnmower last time. Patented batteries that force you to buy a new mower in 4 years. It is a PIT* pulling the starter rope 3 times everytime I take a break or blow my nose, but the Briggs & Stratton gas motor still works after 6 years.
I loaded up on Ryobi 18 v equipment, 2 saws a drill and 5 batteries. The next year they changed to all 20 v lithium batteries. The Nicad batteries lasted a year. Newark/digikey/mouser stopped carrying replacement everready nicad cells. The nicads had solder tabs welded on, I didn't need a ***+**** spot welder to solder them in. 30 lb of junk I paid $200 for.
I recently bought some dewalt tools like those I have used at work. 20 v max batteries. I have 2 drills, 3 impact drivers, 5 batteries. None of the batteries has worked more than once. The first two, dewalt sent me 2 new chargers, then 2 new batteries under warrenty. Neither the first batteries or the replacements will allow me charge them after the drill says they are dead. I have 4 chargers and 5 dewalt batteries, none will recharge. @#$*&^@#
I filed the tips of two meter probes down so I could measure the dead batteries. The dead batteries the tools won't use are measuring 16 v, not very dead.
At least the 48 v 17.5 ah battery I bought from lunabikes in 2017 still works. $700 well spent. Getting 60 miles a week out of it in two four hour runs.
Stay away from Home Depot and Lowes as the versions of name brand and their own are total crap.
I had a full set of Ryobi tools that the batteries crapped out under warranty... maybe 16 months. After a song and dance to get replacements under warranty they finally agreed. The replacement batteries lasted less than a year before performance dropped to about 25%. In this same time a contractor I hired left a same series Ryobi flashlight/battery in my basement. I noticed the serial number was very different in format from what I had from HD. He told me he purchased his at the electrical supply over a year earlier (and it looked it) and told me to just keep it. 10 years later it's the only battery I have that still accepts a charge and has about 50% capacity. I use it for a hand vac in the house so it still serving me.
Now maybe in the same boat as not being supported in the future but I purchased 80v Atlas lawnmower, blower, hedge trimmer and string trimmer from Harbor Freight over 3 years ago and it has performed perfectly. I contacted them at time of purchase and they told me that they use Samsung cells.

"Thank you for contacting Harbor Freight Tools.
Listed below are the specifications for Item 57014 - 80v 2.5 Ah 40v 5.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery.
Type: SAMSUNG SDI INR18650-25R (lithium-ion rechargeable cell)
Voltage: 3.6V
Capacity: 2500 mAh
80V 1P battery: 3.6 V x 20 cells = 72 V / 2500 mAh. 10 battery cells in series and two sets in series.
We appreciate your understanding."

The hedge trimmer in particular is awesome.. but they all work well and I've been somewhat abusive.

Following this thread. I have the same Firestorm tools ( lots of 'em including nail gun and garden tiller) mentioned above laying in a pile on a shelf b/c no batteries available, no support, Blah. Blah.

Buying Dewalt replacements for the most part ... not from any big box stores either. All the main tool brands are owned by the same company and they can spec cheaper parts for Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Happens all the time, I think.

20+ years ago I decided if I'm getting into battery tools I'm going with Dewalt. At the time I bought myself a big set of 18V nicad tools, which I still have and use, except I no longer use Nicad batteries. Dewalt made an adapter that slips on the 18v tools but uses their modern technology. It was a worth while investment instead of going with a fly by night brand.

My Dewalt tools have been through a lot. I've had drills fall from the tops of ladders directly onto the chuck and they still operate fine. My reciprocating saw has cut through I-beams and cast iron pipe. My miter saw (not battery) currently has an abrasive disk on it for cutting the metal I'm using for the trailer. It's taking a lot of abuse due to the metal, but it's still cutting well.

The tools are improving really fast as well. Like the early days of pcs , by the time you can buy one it's already obsolete...

Slightly off subject but battery related. A friend has a huge, and I mean huge, battery from a electric skateboard. I don't yet know the full specs but it seems it was cheaper to ship the skateboard with no battery and just get a replacement from Amazon. So my co-worker was all about getting this battery so he can OPEN IT UP AND SWAP THE CELL PACKS into ANOTHER battery case! I could never imagine me opening my Lectric XP battery for any reason and this skateboard battery is 3 times the size. I picture a huge ZAP, but my co-worker knows his battery tech pretty good. He loves him some RC cars. Will let everyone know the results when the skateboard battery gets opened up. And no, the electric skateboard was a Amazon China special so not UL, or any other, safety rating at all.

Back