Tern HSD S11

trevorm

hsd-s11.png

Just noticed this on their site. This one goes to 28 mph! Good thing, otherwise someone might notice the color of the bike. Yeesh 🤢 Fingers crossed for a limited-edition matte black or something?? They should call that color "blue milk".

Maybe this will dry some of the tears shed for the R&M Tinker Touring HS, RIP đź’€

Huh, I kinda like the color. It’s not horrendous anyway. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Huh, I kinda like the color. It’s not horrendous anyway. Different strokes for different folks I guess!
@McCorby Yeah I guess I was a bit harsh. Only disappointed because this bike checks almost all the boxes for me, but I don't know if I could get over the color. Guess I'm not in their target market!

I was waiting for them to publish this. I just posted a video going through this bike. I think it fills a nice place in the market. I hope you all enjoy the video.

I was waiting for them to publish this. I just posted a video going through this bike. I think it fills a nice place in the market. I hope you all enjoy the video.

@Chris Nolte Thanks for the great review as always! Was looking forward to this. Guess I'm in the minority on the color, but maybe I'll feel differently after giving it a spin. Any ideas when these will start showing up in stores? Also, is it possible to do an aftermarket Kiox/Nyon upgrade on these? I imagine since it's all Bosch it won't matter...?

@Chris Nolte Thanks for the great review as always! Was looking forward to this. Guess I'm in the minority on the color, but maybe I'll feel differently after giving it a spin. Any ideas when these will start showing up in stores? Also, is it possible to do an aftermarket Kiox/Nyon upgrade on these? I imagine since it's all Bosch it won't matter...?
This color has also been available on the HSD S8i and it’s been very popular compared to the black. We should start seeing these over the next month and it is possible to upgrade the display but you will need to run new wires and find an alternative mounting solution due to the proprietary headlight.

Thanks Chris! Will Tern also in due course be advertising the P9 Performance model on their website? Currently I only see the P9 with the Active Line Plus motor

Here is a new review from Electrek... Tern unveils Class 3 HSD S11 e-bike
Newly unveiled 28 MPH Tern HSD S11 is brand's fastest e-cargo bike yet (electrek.co)

Tern’s GSD and HSD e-bikes are some of the nicest small format yet large capacity electric cargo bikes we’ve tested. The unique design has been imitated but is largely unmatched in the industry. Previously, the US version of the HSD has been capped at 20 mph (32 km/h). But now a new version known as the Class 3 HSD S11 is pushing Tern’s envelope. That higher speed is possible thanks to the adoption of the Bosch Performance Line Sport motor. It’s a motor that doesn’t get as much attention as the more common 20 mph (32 km/h) options in Bosch’s lineup, but does open the door to faster e-bikes in the US and speed pedelecs in Europe.

TN-photo-HSD_S11-tundra-unfold.jpg

As explained by Steve Boyd, General Manager of Stile, the US distributor for Tern:
“The e-bike market is booming, but what’s most exciting is that a lot of this growth is from new riders discovering how great it is to get around by bike. Cycling is clean, green, and socially distanced. And with Bosch’s powerful new motor, the HSD S11 just might become the fastest way to get around dense urban neighborhoods.”
The launch of Tern’s new HSD S11 with higher speed limit comes at a time when e-bike use for utility-oriented riding is at an all-time high. As e-bike adoption continues to grow in large part due to the COVID-19 pandemic, an increasing number of riders are using cargo and utility e-bikes for everything from child transport to cargo-carrying and delivery services. The HSD is one of the more visible e-bikes in the space, offering high-end components but without the sky-high price of some of the traditional premium e-bikes such as those from Riese & Müller.

• tern hsd s11
  • tern hsd s11
  • tern hsd s11
    tern hsd s11
The bike is rated for up to 374 lb (170 kg) of payload via the first-ever cargo e-bike safety rating standard, fits a variety of kid-carriers and cargo attachments, and includes a suite of high-quality components such as high-end Magura hydraulic disc brakes, built-in Abus Amsterdam lock, and an 11-speed Shimano Deore XT Shadow+ derailleur – parts obviously not found on standard budget-level e-bikes. Of course, that also pushes the price higher than budget e-bikes, with the Tern HSD S11 carrying an MSRP of $4,199. Still cheaper than the likes of several other premium e-bike brands, but enough to put a lump in the throat of most casual e-bike shoppers. For those willing to pony up the cash for a high-end (and now high-speed) e-bike, US dealers should have the new HSD S11 in stock by January.

Back