Tannus airless tires

EMGX

I just mounted a 26x1.75 Tannus Razorblade airless tire on a geared rear hub motor rim. It was much more difficult than the videos showing mounting of narrow 700c versions. Here is a video that I found that was more realistic for the tire that I mounted.
Looking forward to riding this bike without concerns about getting a flat tire. Patching or changing a tube on a mid drive is easy, same as a regular non ebike but much more difficult with a heavy geared rear hub wheel with no QR or thru axle and a torque arm etc to deal with.

I was so disgusted with a Raliegh I was trying to convert to an ebike,I gave it away I had installed a wheelset that had a 3 spd IGH and a dynamo on the front hub, not to mention it already had solid tires on the rims, what was I thinking?( not the last stupid thing I have done on this Journey) Next stupid thing will be donating "Milano" to a fundraiser( maybe thats a good thing)

Definitely an interesting product but I have some concerns with the type of off road riding I do.

They are not available in 26 x 2.25 yet. Considering the mounting difficulty with the 26 x 1.75, larger sizes may be next to impossible.
I'm concerned the tread may not be suitable for gravel.
Durability may also be a concern. At 5000 miles, I would need to replace them every season. Not something I would look forward to doing once a year.
So far, I haven't had any flats with my Tannus inserts. I'm not sure the fairly small added protection offered by their airless product would be worth the mounting hassle.

Thanks for posting though, I'm also interested in your review.

They are not available in 26 x 2.25 yet.
I killer for me.

At 5000 miles, I would need to replace them every season.
I’d be ok with that mileage but the width ends it for me. I wear down rear tires on Townie style frames well under 5000 miles. I’d try a set on my bike path frame and BBS01B. I’m thinking the liner would be good for my new trike build front drive wheel. Mid drives spoiled me with the ease of tire replacement.

I killer for me.

I’d be ok with that mileage but the width ends it for me. I wear down rear tires on Townie style frames well under 5000 miles. I’d try a set on my bike path frame and BBS01B. I’m thinking the liner would be good for my new trike build front drive wheel. Mid drives spoiled me with the ease of tire replacement.

Yeah, my next build will likely be a mid drive for the ease of tire work.

I get about 5000 miles on my Schwalbe Marathon's but they're fairly easy to change with the Tannus inserts. The Tannus airless would need to get 7 or 8K before it would be worth the extra mounting hassle.

OT
i see that Grin now has a tariff disclaimer. My motor came without a tariff. It seems that it’s a hit or miss proposition. Nearly a coin toss as to whether we’ll be dinged.
That may have been a result of my complaint to Grin. It really Pi**es me off when you order something from them and don't know what it's really going to cost.

Yeah, my next build will likely be a mid drive for the ease of tire work.

I get about 5000 miles on my Schwalbe Marathon's but they're fairly easy to change with the Tannus inserts. The Tannus airless would need to get 7 or 8K before it would be worth the extra mounting hassle.
that must be a extreme harsh ride the marathons are harsh enough. haver o gotten flats with them that you needed the inserts to? I only get one per two flats a year on them.

that must be a extreme harsh ride the marathons are harsh enough. haver o gotten flats with them that you needed the inserts to? I only get one per two flats a year on them.
The ride isn't bad if I reduce the pressure to between 30 & 40 psi. It feels like a solid rubber tire at pressures much above that.

Definitely an interesting product but I have some concerns with the type of off road riding I do.

They are not available in 26 x 2.25 yet. Considering the mounting difficulty with the 26 x 1.75, larger sizes may be next to impossible.
I'm concerned the tread may not be suitable for gravel.
Durability may also be a concern. At 5000 miles, I would need to replace them every season. Not something I would look forward to doing once a year.
So far, I haven't had any flats with my Tannus inserts. I'm not sure the fairly small added protection offered by their airless product would be worth the mounting hassle.

Thanks for posting though, I'm also interested in your review.
I have 1.75 on the front of this bike already, the Tannus replaced a 2.00 on the rear.
The tire came with a couple disclaimers that I didn't see on their web site that sound like CYA disclaimers and other lawyer boilerplate
- this product is recommended for paved road use only ... please refrain from use on gravel or grass, as this may not provide sufficient traction
- the Tannus Airless Tire has a structural weight limit of 165lbs...This means that the combined weight of the bicycle and the rider, including all accessories and equipment, may not exceed 330lbs
- they mention a 60 mile break in period. The tire feels somewhat slick, maybe from moulding release agents that should wear off - FWIW motorcycle tires need break in also
- one of the two package inserts states that the warranty is 5000 KM OR 2 years, whichever comes first, another insert states warranty is 5000 miles

None of this would have stopped me from purchasing but it seems to me that the disclaimers should be prominently posted on the web site product description.
By the way, I've installed several difficult motorcycle tires and of course some bike tires are more difficult than others but this Tannus airless tire rivals the most difficult motorcycle tire that I've installed. The video I linked seems to be from a bike store and at the end he states he isn't sure that he would sell the product. Depending on my experience with this tire I would consider it on other bikes and expect that thinner, larger diameter tires would be much easier to mount on a rim - as seen on other videos with 700c tires.

I have Tannus Armour in Schwalbe G one 700x40c tires on my gravel bike. I've had a couple flats with the insert but several flats without them. For this bike I wanted a tire with no chance for flats on the rear hub motor wheel.

Small update on the Tannus airless tire. It is on a bike that I almost never ride but decided to give it another go. The 26x1.75 Tannus tire measures only 1.5 inches in total width, slightly narrower than Schwalbe Marathon 26x1.5 tires that I have on another bike. Continental Ride Tour 26x1.75 measure slightly wider than 1.75". IMO Tannus needs to be more accurate and forthright in its product descriptions. That said, I'm still happy to have a no flat tire on this geared rear hub bike that I never want to have to fix a flat by the side of a road.

Another small update with the disclaimer that I rarely ride the bike that it is installed on:
Overall I'm happy with the performance of this tire. I only have one on the rear wheel of the bike but haven't noticed increased rolling resistance and ride quality seems comparable to the Continental Ride Tour that was on the bike previously.
I might end up regretting it but I ordered a couple 700x40c airless tires for my TSDZ2 converted Schwinn Hybrid bike. Hoping that the tire measures undersize width wise like my other Tannus airless. There is currently a sale for $35/tire and an additional 20% "fall discount". With $14 shipping it came to ~$70 (no tax charged). I wouldn't have ordered them at their regular price but I'm looking forward to no longer carrying a spare tube, CO2 inflator and/or a pump with this bike. It might not seem like a big deal but I'm also looking forward to no more tire pressure checks before a ride and definitely to no more worries about flats and not having to excessively dodge small debris on the road, which always gets shoved into the bike lanes.

I guess I oughta gamble. I'm apparently incredibly lucky as flats go. Are the latest Tannus not subject to compression or is it to soon to tell?

I guess I oughta gamble. I'm apparently incredibly lucky as flats go. Are the latest Tannus not subject to compression or is it to soon to tell?
Not that I can tell from my little used bike with airless only on the rear. On the bike that will have the new tires I've only had one flat and that was a 3" nail that went through the tread and out the sidewall on a 35c Specialized Armadillo tire. I still have the other Armadillo on the front and a Schwalbe Marathon now on the rear. I'd like to ditch the spare tube, patches, mini pump and CO2 inflator (both because it takes too long for the mini pump to fully air up a tire but I don't completely trust a CO2 inflator alone). Another thing that prompted the tannus order is that I'm getting ready for a few day camp and ride, checked out my mini pump and found that it no longer works. This is the second Vibrelli mini pump that has broken with very minimal use, luckily I have a Topeak Morph pump that still works. I hope I like the airless tires on this bike and the freedom that goes with them.

Not the same bike that the airless tires are going on but same idea. Flat on a ride in the middle of nowhere, Vibrelli pump could only get to <40psi if I recall correctly and before I started carrying a CO2 inflator.
DSCF0743.JPG

I'm on my second season with Tannus front & rear on two bikes. I haven't noticed any significant compression at all. I do run a lower tire pressure though which may help. I keep mine at 45psi instead of the usual 65. This also helps soften the somewhat stiffer ride caused by the Tannus inserts.

Another small update with the disclaimer that I rarely ride the bike that it is installed on:
Overall I'm happy with the performance of this tire. I only have one on the rear wheel of the bike but haven't noticed increased rolling resistance and ride quality seems comparable to the Continental Ride Tour that was on the bike previously.
I might end up regretting it but I ordered a couple 700x40c airless tires for my TSDZ2 converted Schwinn Hybrid bike. Hoping that the tire measures undersize width wise like my other Tannus airless. There is currently a sale for $35/tire and an additional 20% "fall discount". With $14 shipping it came to ~$70 (no tax charged). I wouldn't have ordered them at their regular price but I'm looking forward to no longer carrying a spare tube, CO2 inflator and/or a pump with this bike. It might not seem like a big deal but I'm also looking forward to no more tire pressure checks before a ride and definitely to no more worries about flats and not having to excessively dodge small debris on the road, which always gets shoved into the bike lanes.
What brand of airless tire did you order? By all means, keep us posted on how they work out.

I tried these airless tubes from "Stop A Flat" but was unable to mount them on my 26" mag wheels:

Perhaps that's why they are no longer available on Amazon.

An airless tube lets you use the tire of your choice which, to me, accomplishes the same thing as an airless tire.

Last edited:
I ordered Tannus airless tires, I already have the Tannus foam "Armour" that I tried for several hundred miles on my gravel bike then switched to Mr Tuffy liners which I prefer. I had a couple flats with the Tannus, so far none with Mr. Tuffy and the Mr. Tuffy aren't noticeable when riding whereas the Tannus Armour seemed to add rolling friction although a slightly better ride on rough roads and railroad tracks and the such.
The video that they show installation looks deceivingly easy, it wasn't for the tire/rim combination that I installed. They fit on a small range of rim inner widths, the video shows installation on a wide appearing rim, I installed that same tire on a rim at the lower end of acceptable and it was exceedingly difficult (see the video that I posted in post #1). The rims that I'll be installing the new tires on are also on the smallest end of the fitment range so I'm expecting a difficult installation again. If we have a sunny day I'll let them heat in the sun (on a black tarp background), if no sun I'll try soaking them in hot water.
The Stop A Flat solid tubes are still available on amazon, just not on that specific product listing. I read reviews of those a while ago and came away unimpressed.
I'm hoping for the best but am encouraged by my limited experience with the one Tannus airless tire that I already have on a bike.

It was an epic struggle between the will of man and Tannus, in the end I prevailed. But only after much tribulation and largely ignoring the Tannus instructions regarding installation. I won't go into the details of how I finally got them installed because there may not be anyone on this forum as foolish and desperate as me to attempt this. But suffice it to say that the battle was intense. I made my moves and Tannus countered them, until I finally achieved victory over the inanimate. It was worthy of telling by Herodotus.
I was installing the tires on rims of the minimum listed acceptable inner width which may have made it more difficult than the Tannus video indicates.
A couple somewhat more objective observations:
- the Tannus airless 700x40c measure 37.6mm greatest width, only 2 mm greater than a Marathon 700x35c and about 1mm greater than a 700x35c Specialized Armadillo that were previously on the rims. I'm pleased with this because I didn't want wider tires than what I already had.
- Tannus tires weighed 700g, total ~720g including the installation pins. The Marathon with standard tube and rim strip weighed 960g, the Armadillo with standard tube and rim strip was about 880g. That is a fairly significant weight savings of some pounds considering this 0.83lb savings alone plus no spare tube/patch kit/pump or CO2 inflators need be carried. As a reference the Tannus Armour liners (that I've gotten flats while running) alone for these size tires weigh a pound each.

If I've recovered enough by tomorrow I'll go for a ride to see how they feel on the road. Tannus does state that it takes ~60 miles for them to break in though.

It was an epic struggle between the will of man and Tannus, in the end I prevailed. But only after much tribulation and largely ignoring the Tannus instructions regarding installation. I won't go into the details of how I finally got them installed because there may not be anyone on this forum as foolish and desperate as me to attempt this. But suffice it to say that the battle was intense. I made my moves and Tannus countered them, until I finally achieved victory over the inanimate. It was worthy of telling by Herodotus.
I was installing the tires on rims of the minimum listed acceptable inner width which may have made it more difficult than the Tannus video indicates.
A couple somewhat more objective observations:
- the Tannus airless 700x40c measure 37.6mm greatest width, only 2 mm greater than a Marathon 700x35c and about 1mm greater than a 700x35c Specialized Armadillo that were previously on the rims. I'm pleased with this because I didn't want wider tires than what I already had.
- Tannus tires weighed 700g, total ~720g including the installation pins. The Marathon with standard tube and rim strip weighed 960g, the Armadillo with standard tube and rim strip was about 880g. That is a fairly significant weight savings of some pounds considering this 0.83lb savings alone plus no spare tube/patch kit/pump or CO2 inflators need be carried. As a reference the Tannus Armour liners (that I've gotten flats while running) alone for these size tires weigh a pound each.

If I've recovered enough by tomorrow I'll go for a ride to see how they feel on the road. Tannus does state that it takes ~60 miles for them to break in though.
Also a pain to install on my 26" mag wheels.
Rim lube, tire talc and heavy duty tire bead tools help a lot.

Back