Tandem eBike ?

Brambor

Howdy. The thought just crossed my mind a few days ago while thinking of someone who's significant other may be incapable of riding alone but would do ok on a tandem. OTOH a tandem is a litlle bit harder for going uphill than on a single bike I thought a tandem eBike could be the solution.

Are there any and what are the top tandem eBikes out there?

Thanks. :)

not sure about the fork though. Hard to attach pannier racks to that. I don't seem to see any brazeons for rear panniers either.

I have a hard time taking Pedego seriously. I guess I need a bias reeducation camp.
I agree, not my style either. Both represent the two ends of the e-tandem spectrum. The Pedego, solid vendor, great for a Sunday ride on the boardwalk or bike path and is a lot of bike for $3k. The Moustache with Bosch will get it done, all day, any day.

There is another Bosch tandem, a member here reported on it last summer I believe. I want to say Felt, but I could be wrong. @Chris Nolte would know.

I agree, not my style either. Both represent the two ends of the e-tandem spectrum. The Pedego, solid vendor, great for a Sunday ride on the boardwalk or bike path and is a lot of bike for $3k. The Moustache with Bosch will get it done, all day, any day.

There is another Bosch tandem, a member here reported on it last summer I believe. I want to say Felt, but I could be wrong. @Chris Nolte would know.
There is another member. I forget his name, but he's importing a Gepida tandem.

@Brambor ,

I just had a phone chat with the Gepida US distributor.
Right now, the only Tandem's available in the US are Pedego and MAY be Moustache -Bosch one.

Gepida has few tandems with Bosch and Panasonic drives as stated above. The Bosch Tandem has an active line motor but could be replaced with CX drive.

Last edited:
The Gepida Rodanus 1000 looks really good too.

Rodanus Rodanus Danus ;-)

170421_3506794_Weekend_Update__Roseanne_Roseannadanna_On_Sm.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any and what are the top tandem eBikes out there?

Hi Brambor. Don't visit this site very often anymore but your query is of interest to me. Having ridden tandems, converted a Cannondale using Bafang mid-drive and built a tadpole tandem from scratch also using a Bafang mid-drive I have two observations; 1st, hills are more challenging on a tandem so my suggestion is as much e-power as possible. 2nd....and I claim complete ignorance of any commercially available electric tandems, I would only buy an e-tandem if the captain and stokers individual cranksets freewheel so either or, or, both can pedal. I find that riding long distances my wife wants to rest and not pedal so her crankset being able to freewheel is a necessity. On both bikes the Bafang is up front and I installed a freewheel bearing in the stokers crank so freewheeling isn't an issue.

I do enjoy riding both electric tandems, but there is a learning curve, even beyond the learning curve of riding a non-electric tandem.

Whatever you do, have a blast!

Court J.

Court, that is a great feedback. I wonder if you have some photos to share of your e-tandem on a trip. I'd be especially interested if you have it set up with bags or panniers. Cheers.

I found this as I'm thinking of an electric tandem... Or at least adapting a 'unique' tandem I have to make it electic. Maybe you all can help me - but realize I'm a complete novice and not matter what I do, I'd have to pay someone to make any adaptations.

I have a son with high functioning autism. He pretty much can do anything, but it takes longer and is "looser" with low muscle tone. He just turned 12 and is tall and fit (dances and walks a lot) but we haven't gotten him to bike riding yet. I think he'll get it this summer. He has the balance part down, but the pedaling, while steering, while balancing... that has been tricky (but we also haven't worked on it much).

But even if/when he gets to biking, it's going to take awhile for him to get the stamina/strength to go up hills due to low muscle tone. We have a tandem of sorts, bit it's a bit unusual. We've used it some, but it's so heavy and it's been basically ME providing all the push/pull power and even at my top fitness 5 years ago (now I've gone all soft again - but working on it) I couldn't keep up with my husband. I would have to get off and walk at any hill.

Here is the bike we have: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

We got it used... its' their basic model. They now have bigger ones. Maybe that might be better - or another electric tandem.

Anyway... I'm 5'6". My 12 year old is already 5'9". He'll probably get to 6'3/6'4" based on his growth trajectory compared to his older brother's who is 6'2". This buddy bike is probably already too small for us with him as the front rider. I cannot have him be the back rider as that is who does the controlling. BUT... perhaps it could be converted to electric? Or we could get the bigger version to be electrified (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The down side to this is that the pedals will keep moving for the front rider even though they may be "resting" and that can be problematic if he's not wearing/using toe clips...So the comment above captain and stoker being able to pedal or coast is important.

I think this would help my son learn to ride and be less frustrating. As we home school now too, it's something he, I, and my husband could do together. Heck even my husband and I could bike together on an electric tandem too.

Last edited:
Just curious if you have considered a trike for him? Easy to adapt an e system to via a front hub motor and takes care of the balance/pedal/steering problem. It would however be independent of you and I don't know enough about your sons condition to know if he would be able?

They do make tandems that are recumbent in the front and like a regular bike in the rear that would perhaps work better than the one in the link which seems rather ungainly to me.

Just curious if you have considered a trike for him? Easy to adapt an e system to via a front hub motor and takes care of the balance/pedal/steering problem. It would however be independent of you and I don't know enough about your sons condition to know if he would be able?

They do make tandems that are recumbent in the front and like a regular bike in the rear that would perhaps work better than the one in the link which seems rather ungainly to me.
It is rather ungainly. Turning corners and getting started is like a nightmare.

I like the trike idea; we do a lot of custom conversions on standard trikes as well as tadpole types which allow someone with iffy balance to have their own wheels. With some brands of kits, like Golden Motor, or Bafang mid drives, the motor is programmable so you can set the acceleration, top speed and other features to make it appropriate for a 12 year old.

Other idea, check out the Pedego Tandem Ebike; it's been around for a few years; Court first reviewed it in 2014 which will give you some perspective on the bike.

Last edited:
Hmmm... just saw this listed.... One of my motivations for getting to biking again (with my son) is that I want to go to the grocery store or to bike to one of the parks near us (about 2-3 miles)... I like fitness with function. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I'm sure it's impossible heavy without electric help. They sell a front wheel adaptor. Wonder if can be amped up easily enough? Or buy a ridekick - that could be transferred to other bikes if we need it?

Or skip it?

Last edited:
While I am sure that weighs a lot the weight can easily be compensated for with an e drive system. The only issue I see is that the stoker (rear) cockpit looks rather on the small side. It is a steel bike though so modifications can be made. For $600 obo I would consider that a good price for a base unit that you can modify for your needs.

Any time you are dealing with special needs it turns out to be a trial as there are no two sets of needs that's the same.

Back