Tandem E-Bike

Jim1348

For those with tandem e-bikes, what are some good tandem e-bikes?

There are not a lot you can buy. We have the Gepdea e tandem. there is the mustache both are around 8000.00 with a bosch drive and two batteries. my geodes was 3700 on sale 3 years ago and now jumped to 8000.00 commotion is around 17,000. right now it may be better to have a tandem built into a e tandem.

There are not a lot you can buy. We have the Gepdea e tandem. there is the mustache both are around 8000.00 with a bosch drive and two batteries. my geodes was 3700 on sale 3 years ago and now jumped to 8000.00 commotion is around 17,000. right now it may be better to have a tandem built into a e tandem.
For most a hub conversion is easiest. Most tandems have a left side chain from the front chainring to the rear, then a second ring on the right rear to the gears. There is no place to fit a mid-drive.

For most a hub conversion is easiest. Most tandems have a left side chain from the front chainring to the rear, then a second ring on the right rear to the gears. There is no place to fit a mid-drive.
it can be changed over as long as you can put a standard 2 chainring crankset on the mid drive motor.

it can be changed over as long as you can put a standard 2 chainring crankset on the mid drive motor.
So you would go with all right side drive. Good answer. The outer rings would link the riders. The inner would go to the gear cluster so as not to throw off the chain line.

Co-motion Metolius:

Dual battery Bosch and 14-speed Rohloff hub.

Co-motion Metolius:

Dual battery Bosch and 14-speed Rohloff hub.
only 17,000 a drop in the bucket.

I don't know what they cost, or how many people actually using them, but I stopped in our pedigo dealer in peninsula, ohio and saw that they were renting tandems. I was rather surprised

I don't know what they cost, or how many people actually using them, but I stopped in our pedigo dealer in peninsula, ohio and saw that they were renting tandems. I was rather surprised
Yes they sell them but they are for light riding.

If I was seriously considering an eTandem I'd consider modifying a good quality and carefully sized Tandem (in other words pick the right bike and then add the e capability). I'd look seriously at using the new Grin V3 All Axis hub motor, a Superharness and a minimal display. With the built in torque sensing and SRAM XD gearing there would no need to mess with any of the chainrings or bottom brackets (so a very simple addition to the Tandem). I'd also probably add a throttle to manage low speed movement and some Statorade to help on the hills.

I know I know, everyone is rollng their eyes at the idea of this hub motor instead of a mid drive. But IMHO one of the biggest benefits of this setup over a mid would be something unique to this type of motor - regen braking. It's something a tandem and especially one ridden by bigger riders or in hilly country would find really useful - better (no fade) braking in any weather conditions without wearing out pads.

With a 52v battery the setup would be fast (and good gearing/cadence with the 10t high), strong (no internal gears, no chain loading), have minimal wiring, and low maintenance, so should make for a very reliable, fun, and cost effective tandem.

Last edited:
I like the Hase Pino. I actually drove five hours to the nearest Hase dealer to check it out.

I ultimately did not buy it but that isn’t the bike’s fault. I have MS and was hoping I could be stoker on this bike, but I can’t pick my feet up that high without a huge effort. It rode great and I was impressed, it was just so hard to climb onboard, I knew I would rarely feel up to the effort.

Anyways, Hase makes an excellent product, very well thought out and high quality. But you have to buy in person and in the USA that can be pretty far.

I like the Hase Pino. I actually drove five hours to the nearest Hase dealer to check it out.

I ultimately did not buy it but that isn’t the bike’s fault. I have MS and was hoping I could be stoker on this bike, but I can’t pick my feet up that high without a huge effort. It rode great and I was impressed, it was just so hard to climb onboard, I knew I would rarely feel up to the effort.

Anyways, Hase makes an excellent product, very well thought out and high quality. But you have to buy in person and in the USA that can be pretty far.
yes I had to find a bent that my feet were lower too. it sure limits the bikes.

Back