SYNCDRIVE PRO 2020-2021 MOTOR (PW-X2) ON FATHOM E+ PRO 2019 (PW-X)

KuRi

Hi!

Do you know if it is possible to replace the syncdrive pro motor from 2019 (pw-x) with the new pro motor from giant (pw-x2 based)?

I think the geometry is exactly the same and the mounting bolts are in the same place. I have already upgraded the ride control one unit with the 2020 one and the battery with the 625wh 2020 one.

I know I can't directly buy the motor from giant... but I am always looking at forums and ebay trying to find one :D

However I would like to know if this is possible or if I should stop searching XD

thanks!!!

Can't you order the motor via Giant local dealer? Together with the replacement?

I have not asked yet but it looks that it will be too expensive to get a new motor from a giant dealer and that they won't be selling a motor for a model it was not designed for. I was expecting to find someone on ebay from a crashed bike or similar at a good price and wonder if it would work or not on my bike.

Thanks.

upgrading major components on bikes has always been incredibly expensive.
If you could find a crashed/wrecked bike with the right motor that fits it might work.

IME, there are some bits that are too expensive to swap out, and better to just upgrade the entire bike...
...front shocks on a mountain bike would fall into this category, as would the motor on an e-bike if paying RRP for the parts...
...consider what it would cost to build an entire bike from spare parts at RRP prices compared to an OEM bike - many x the cost.

Mike

Yeah, thanks Mike. I don't know where to look at for crashed bikes parts :D

My original idea was to sell my pw-x motor when buying a pw-x2 so the upgrade would not be so expensive. This is what I did when upgrading from 500wh to 625wh battery.

Cheers!

I am in the U.S. riding a 2019 Giant Road-e + Pro with SyncDrive Pro (Yamaha PW-X) motor. The motor is giving problems and finding a Giant LBS with experience working on Giant ebike motors is difficult. If anyone knows where to purchase another motor, new or used or of a company that is experienced in repairing Giant motors, please direct me there.

Here in Europe you can get a yamaha pw-x motor new from ebay, but I am not sure if it is a direct replacement for the giant motor even if you change the display:

And to get the motor repaired this is your best option, in uk:

They are an amazing repairing workshop, they open and repair several motors each day :)

Here in Europe you can get a yamaha pw-x motor new from ebay, but I am not sure if it is a direct replacement for the giant motor even if you change the display:

And to get the motor repaired this is your best option, in uk:

They are an amazing repairing workshop, they open and repair several motors each day :)
Performance Line Bearings now has a US presence - https://www.ebikemotorrepair.com/
I have spoke to Michael at length and am impressed - I think Peter in the UK now refers all USA requests to him, anyway.

Back