Summit County, Colorado

harryS

Drove out from llinois to Silverthorne last week, and brought along two ebikes. I had last ridden a bike (rental) out there in 1990, when we rode Dillon-Keystone on rentals, until I got too tired pulling my 4 year old in a trailer, but I had fond memories.

Best ride was from Frisco to Copper Mountain. Nine miles that climb about 500 feet, with beautiful scenery on both sides. Lunch at the resort and then it's downhill all the way back. I wanted to go on to Vail, a steeper climb, but we had a trail ride (horses) scheduled, so we didn't go. My wife's 250W bike handled this fine. I had a 750W BBS02 mid drive that loafed along. I talked to other riders on Pedegos going on to Vail, so I would think the little motors could make it, or they could coast back if the batteries went out.

Other rides took us into Breckenridge and Dillon. These rides were more like riding paths in Illinois, with adjoining highways and less scenery, but it's still Colorado Also more riders.There, I was disappointed to see signs banning e-bikes. At some points, those routes were full of families on rental bikes, gasping for breath at the 9000 foot altitudes, as I would have too on a regular bike. Of course, I pretended not to see the signs, as did other people on ebikes. Breckenridge, of course, is all about the tourist dollars, as my wife pointed out, so they're going to lose her dollars as a result. She loved the rides, by the way.

Meanwhile, in places like Golden and Boulder, the regular bike culture flourishes. Never seen so many enthusiasts. Wish I had spent more time.

Bike-2.JPG

Bike-3.JPG

Bike-4.JPG

HarryS, Thanks for the report and info on what's going on in Colorado regarding ebikes. Here is an interesting article relating: http://www.aspentimes.com/news/as-e-bikes-gain-popularity-land-managers-ponder-future/

It really pisses me off that land managers arbitrarily ban ebikes citing "potential conflicts". Has there actually been any conflicts, and if so that would be an issue with a rider's conduct rather than the type of bike. Maybe post and enforce a speed limit f there is really a issue. I see a lot of first hand "potential conflicts" on my local multi-use trails on busy weekends with the spandex crowd whipping around pedestrians and causal cyclist, but spandex and drop bars aren't being banned! And what about leash-less dog walkers? Or renegade mobility scooters??? Its the conduct, not the conveyance!

I see a lot of "potential conflicts" with the future of drone package deliveries buzzing through my neighborhood, autonomous Uber cars on the roadway, and sidewalk robots - all of which are being embraced, yet when people want a little assistance on their bikes to recreate it must be banned!

Last edited:
There have been plenty of conflicts elsewhere in the world with ebike riders going too fast or riding like idiots, which I agree is a behavior issue more than an ebike issue. As far as enforcement goes, it all comes down to money, if the city has it, it's a good way to keep bad behavior from happening, if not, there won't be any. I have a friend who worked at a shop in Breckinridge where they rented ebikes and he told me it was common that tourists would come back all road rashed because they underestimated how fast they could go on an ebike and would dump it in a corner. That might have something to do with why they don't allow them on that bike path.

Long time bike pather. We know/practice the etiquette, plus my wife is a slow poke. She did max out on the downhill runs though, so I didn't run up her rear wheel.

Gotta have her in ftont or I will ride blithely on for miles, look back and wonder what happened to her.

Back