Stromer ST2 Suspension Shocks

Some of the newer road bikes from trek and specialized come with stem based shocks now and there are a few good videos in YouTube. One is called the future shock. I have it on my roadbike (non-ebike) and it is great for small holes. The stromer shock is great for larger holes due to the extra travel. So I think that should be a significant factor in choosing between the setups. Another note is my ST2 S has some integrated wiring and won't easily transfer to another stem without modification.

The fender for me was critical because I can't show up to work dirty and don't have time to change after every trip.

Thanks, I've been doing research in the interim and I'm convinced that the front shock is the way to go. I just need to find an LBS that can order the Stromer package and not expect to charge me full retail. I saved enough on the bike that I'm willing to pay a little bit of a premium for the Stromer branded fork and gender versus an aftermarket one to keep the ST2 looking 100% stock.

before you do that make sure the body float is tuned properly for your weight and height. I bought my at Lenny's and had them tune it for me ...big difference
Followed your lead and contacted Lenny's today. Connor was super helpful and knowledgeable. He knew exactly which model I needed for the ST2 and the color springs for my weight.

Any brand fork will work providing you use these dimensions- 1 1/8" tapered(to 1 1/2)steerer, 100mm(max)travel, 15mm axle, 26" wheel. If steerer tube has been cut(new take-off), make SURE it is long enough for your head-tube.
I have stromer branded suntour radions on my st1 and rock shox rebas on my st2. Both work great, never a issue.
Ebay or your LBS are good places to look. The 26" wheel is an orphan and prices are down. A buyers market!

Curious, since I don't know much about shocks etc. What will be the proper shock size to order for the ST2? 26 or 29? Not sure because I don't know crap about this. Thanks~!

I just put a 100mm Fox on my ST1-T and was a bit surprised from reading these threads about how much more slack the geometry is, although I should have known as the axle to crown length is about 3 inches longer...

I don't hate the more slack ride, and frankly, I thought the steering was a little too fast with the carbon fork. But people should be aware it's at least going to change the handling quite a bit.

I'm going to play with the stem and handlebar first, but I did find that Rockshox is making the 30 gold RL 80mm with a much shorter A2C length (453mm). These are 1 1/8 straight only, but they do make tapered headsets with a reducer (these are about $40).

Also, one thing people should know is if you want a tighter ride, consider the suspension here to be similar to cars in that if you are off-roading, you want lower pre-load or air pressure in your fork. If you want "sport-tuned" suspension pump the pressure up a little higher than what is recommended for your weight.

I just put a 100mm Fox on my ST1-T and was a bit surprised from reading these threads about how much more slack the geometry is, although I should have known as the axle to crown length is about 3 inches longer...

Ryan, I assume you didn't go with a 26" shock then? 27.5'er? I put a 27.5'er up next to the Stromer Branded ST2 shock that's currently installed on my ST1x and the 27.5'er was noticeably longer. I decided not to use it, in favor of just waiting for another ebay deal on a non-stromer branded 26'er air shock.

Ryan, I assume you didn't go with a 26" shock then? 27.5'er? I put a 27.5'er up next to the Stromer Branded ST2 shock that's currently installed on my ST1x and the 27.5'er was noticeably longer. I decided not to use it, in favor of just waiting for another ebay deal on a non-stromer branded 26'er air shock.

You're right, the fox I have is a rhythm 32, 27.5er, but the axle to crown is 487.7mm (which is about what I measure). The measurement I find from the Epixon online 26" is 510mm...what does yours measure?

The one you got didn't change the handling? I'm wondering if the 510mm spec I find for the Epixon 26 is just copy/pasted from the 29er fork...

I wanted a QR 9mm as well because eventually I plan to add a small front hub motor (q100h) with a 2nd battery and integrated controller from BMS battery. I had this on my old bike (a radwagon that got stolen). I really miss the throttle for commuting in times when you need to jet across an intersection (IE you decide to go, and then realize the car that's coming is going 15mph over the speed limit). Also I think it would be nice to have PAS + torque sensor, and some extra watthours. I LOVE the torque sensor in the stromer, but I'm showing up to work a little too sweaty! The power setting on the Stromer makes me go faster, but I still want to pedal harder.

I have a feeling that a ~450mm A2C fork would be ideal on this bike for me (with about 10-15mm of sag), but I'm going to play with a negative 30 degree stem first because I really like the fox otherwise and I feel like the sheer distance from the bars to the wheel has a lot to do with what I'm not liking (shifting my weight too far back). IMO a little more slack geometry isn't a bad thing at 25-30mph...

I measure the stock carbon fork on my T at ~412mm. I'm not aware of any suspension forks with that small of a A2C even figuring for %10-20 sag.

Last edited:
18" (457mm) unloaded on the stromer st2 fork I had installed on the st1x. 19.25" unloaded on a FOX 32 Float 27.5, 100mm I was thinking about putting on another stomer. FYI the stock st1x fork is 16".

I ordered the st1x with the fork, so can't say anything about noticing the change in handling. I can say riding the ridgid on my st2s on my commute is not that pleasant. I am going to suspend one of the two st2s with an uber light 26" fork and keep one ridgid for paved trails.

Aha-

That makes sense, wish I would have known that before ordering the fox, luckily I got a good deal on it.... What's the uber light fork you're considering?

Aha-

That makes sense, wish I would have known that before ordering the fox, luckily I got a good deal on it.... What's the uber light fork you're considering?

I'll let you know after I buy it :p they're a bit hard to find at a good price while still matching all the specs.

Between a suspension seatpost and a new set of Baramind BAM trekking handlebars I no longer wish I had a suspension fork. The seatpost does the bulk of the work, but the handlebars have completely mitigated my numb hands and sore neck/ shoulders/ back.

Back