Stromer ST2, R&M, specialized Como

wscott

Region
USA
Hi,

New member here looking to buy an e-bike for myself and wife.
Late 40's and out of shape. Looking to get back into shape and maybe make a few multi-night voyages.
I am 6'4" 250lbs; Wife is 5'6" and medium sized.
We live in Dubuque Iowa, convenient to Madison, WI.
Terrain is hilly, paved and some off road dirt and gravel (not mountain biking).
This will likely be our first and only e-bike, so we will buy once and be done.

Budget less than $7500 per bike.

step through
Stable
Low maintenance
Best motor
Best brakes
Best front suspension
Seat post suspension or full suspension
upright riding position.
Clean design with concealed wires.
Belt drive
American or European made

Have tried Specialized Como 5.0; 3.0; 4.0 - nice upright position- comfortable. Did not have suspension. no Belt. But new bikes coming out with belt and suspension.
Specialized Vado (too upright)

Stromer ST2 with belt and front fork suspension- best performance, solid and moves well and motor is silent. Interesting tech. Not as upright as we would like. What can be done to improve the comfort of the Stromer ST2? Reliability of ST2?

Riese and Muller Nevo GT (2018) and Nevo GT rolhoff (2019). Loved the upright riding position, nimble, and diverse application. Just easy to ride. Performance of motor and fit and finish not as good as the Stromer ST2. Have not tried the 2021 version. Performance and reliability of Enviolo or Rolhoff - I've read there are concerns.

Also considering R&M Homage, and Multicharger 3 Mixte, but can't find a place to try them.

Anything else I should consider?
Advantages/disadvantages?
Which would you choose?

Thanks for your help

Terrain is hilly, paved and some off road dirt and gravel (not mountain biking).

Stromer ST2 with belt and front fork suspension- best performance, solid and moves well and motor is silent. Interesting tech. Not as upright as we would like. What can be done to improve the comfort of the Stromer ST2? Reliability of ST2?

For sure, the ST2 would give you the Stromer smile.

It seems, you will not commute but do leisure rides. The ST2 hat shorter gearing than the other Stromer, but a broad variety of stem / handlebar combinations are available. But for your purpose, gravel roads and upright position, it's not the best e-bike. As you have no body weight on the handlebar, a front suspension is useless. A BodyFloat becomes mandatory. Stromer offers it.

A full suspension mid drive and reliable body protective gear (gravel and upright riding are opposite) might fit better.

MB2_3183.jpg

Does Stromer ST2 have trouble going up hills compared to a Bosch cx gen 4 mid drive having more torque? Real life experience vs marketing. What is the real life experience of Stromer ST2 owners?

Does Stromer ST2 have trouble going up hills compared to a Bosch cx gen 4 mid drive having more torque? Real life experience vs marketing. What is the real life experience of Stromer ST2 owners?
This is very subjective.... Everyone's fitness is different.

I thought I made a mistake when I bought the ST5, but I got really fit and are doing +110 miles days. (My Apple watch tells me I'm burning +3000 callories in the process)

Back