Stromer ST1 vs. ST2

I will have to get back to you on the service, as I am not 100% certain on that. There is an electronic service record on the App but to my knowledge I don't recall if the bike is supposed to be taken in, ever. I just figured out how to scan for trouble codes on the Omni (though I had none). Basically, the bike has a self diagnostic system similar to the OBD2 system on a car, but I think the ST1 had that as well.
The updated are more like iOS in that I gain usability with every update (there has only been one update since Ive owned the bike), and yes I did have the option to decline the update. Overall updates on the Omni are seamless, very much like all Tesla vehicles in fact.

I actually believe, contrarily, power application was smoother on the ST1 and partially because the motor had a little less torque than the ST2. I felt as though it was hard to tell you were being helped on the ST1 (though you clearly are), where as on the ST2 (level 3 assist), you can feel the bike surging forward a little with each pedal stroke. The best thing you can do is ride them back to back in my opinion.
Thank you again, Cory!

Well my "n" (population) is still too small to make definitive statements, but I can tell you that based on the reactions I got at last week's Slow Spokes ride, it was more a combo of curiosity/horror than curiosity/kumbaya. And, except for the female host of the group, the other women who were there were quite unfriendly; the guys were, mostly, much more accepting and friendly. I suspect the women would be unfriendly regardless of what bike another female was riding. I smiled at and said hello to everyone. Not my problem if they don't like the "e" in eBikes.

I sometime do social rides with my friends who are mostly not into bikes but have nice bicycles. I found socially its better if I show up on a regular bike, my wife's step though as funny as it is, things go much better. Otherwise, my ebike experience is way different then theirs and I'm jut an oddity rather than a participant. For solo adventuring, nothing beats the ebike.

I sometime do social rides with my friends who are mostly not into bikes but have nice bicycles. I found socially its better if I show up on a regular bike, my wife's step though as funny as it is, things go much better. Otherwise, my ebike experience is way different then theirs and I'm jut an oddity rather than a participant. For solo adventuring, nothing beats the ebike.

I understand what you're saying. However, I am not in good enough shape to do social rides (which in the only "beginners" group I could find, consist of 12 to 20 miles) without the assistance of pedal assist. It's too bad there's a stigma to it.

I understand what you're saying. However, I am not in good enough shape to do social rides (which in the only "beginners" group I could find, consist of 12 to 20 miles) without the assistance of pedal assist. It's too bad there's a stigma to it.

Yes, the whole "you're cheating" thing is there, I've noticed, even if it is not said. However, in my 60's, younger riders give me some slack, as well they should. I would not have needed e-bike power (if it had been available) when I was their age either! :)

Old body, young legs ... priceless!

Last edited:
Yes, the whole "you're cheating" thing is there, I've noticed, even if it is not said. However, in my 60's, younger riders give me some slack, as well they should. I would not have needed e-bike power (if it had been available) when I was their age either! :)

Old body, young legs ... priceless!

I use to maintain bike every day to stay in shape and do my fair share of hiking. Now that I have a ST1. I haven't touch my maintain bikeor my road bike. How I just ride my ST1 and go occasionally hikes. I find riding my ST1 as exciting as going downhill on my mountain bike. I can care less what a other cyclist thinks. They just hate the smile I have on my face on my Stromer.:p

One day I'll see if I can upgrade to and ST2.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

I have put about 350 miles on the bike after about 6 weeks of ownership. The bike serves as a commuter vehicle about 2-4 times per week. Some days I just drive my car/truck to work (especially if I have something big to pick up or drop off, or poor weather). I also run 75% of my errands around town on the ST2, including 25 mile round trips to and from a weekly Ultimate Frisbee game. The Stromer has me thinking of offing my previous errand vehicle. I only ride in power mode 3 (yes max assist).

I have owned a 1999 Honda Elite 80 scooter for about the last 5 years and I have not ridden it once since I got the ST2. It is 50cc and will get up to about 38-40mph on flat ground. Neither can be driven on the highway so it makes more sense for me to simply take the Stromer as I am able to use bike lanes and roll through 4 ways like any other cyclist. Speaking of other cyclists….

My encounters with other cyclists have been more positive than I anticipated. In fact, most are extremely curious about the ST2 rather than the apparent disdain and disgust that they seem to have for guys on the 49cc China Girl, BroPeds. I have not come upon a road bike rider that I haven't been able to easily pass. Many times they'll catch up at the next stoplight and I try to be as polite and engauging as possible. I figure, he thinks he's a purist and I am not for riding an e-bike. While I think that since we both paid around $7,000 for our bikes he's the Luddite. :) If I have time, I allow anybody who comes up to me and ask about it to "take it for a spin." This may seem risky but they usually never leave my sight and I do take comfort in the fact that; via the Stromer app I know where the bike is at all time (not to mention the ability to lock the rear hub at moments notice). Every now and then I run into another Stromer owner yet we never really seem to talk, just a silent hat tip and a mention of him mentioning he saw me a few times to the local Stromer dealer.

Speaking of the App/Omni, it is getting better and more responsive with each update. I now have access to Imperial Units of measure and my request for function changes seem to be faster and smoother. I will say though that taking your eyes off the road to read a speed or distance on the Omni is still very dodgy at best (especially at 28mph). My initial impression that the ST1 had a safer placement of the display hold more conviction than ever. For whatever reason I like to constantly know my speed and use the max regen for braking on hills.

Selectable regen is something I use 1-2 per ride while going down hill. By hold the minus selector switch next to the right handgrip you are able to select 5 levels of regenerative braking power. When going down a steep hill I will click down to max regen and allow gravity to pour 15 amp hours back into the battery (unless you are at full charge). Regardless of the power recuperation, I like that it can slow or stop you without a brake pad ever touching a disc.

One of best mods in my opinion, is the "rider mod." Meaning actually knowing how to ride a hard tale bike at higher speeds. Things like relaxing your grip on the bars over rough terrain, looking ahead to pic the smoothest available line and standing up at the correct times. While I do have a body float suspension seat post, it does not convert your solid suspension bike to a full suspension bike. You are talking about an inch of travel at the most, you must learn through seat time how to ride a powered hard tail. Speaking of power..

When I leave an intersection I am faster than most cars to 28 mph, having said that, your relationship with cars changes on an powerful e-bike. On a 25 mph rode you will have the option and power to pass many of the cars. When a typical driver passes a typical cyclist it is more of a relief in that, the driver no longer has to concern himself with a slow but moving (and somewhat unpredictable) obstacle. On a typical 25 or 30mph speed limited road some will simply choose to follow you while some would rather pass and have the stressor behind them. When you pass a car they don't know the are being passed because on you almost never get passed on the right while moving and never by a cyclist. For this reason I am a big fan of using the Stromers LED daytime running light as intend and ride as defensively as possible.

Lastly, reliability up to this point has been nothing short of perfect, I have not had one issue with the bike. I leave my charger at work so I only need to charge it 2 or 3x per week and it just fires up and doe what its supposed to. My ST2 never leaves the biggest front chainring as I do not see the point of doing so. Ive not yet been able to kill my battery either and I don't know that Id want to sit on a bike long enough to kill the ST2 Battery.

One last thing that I am hesitant to mention is that I actually jump my ST2 a few times a week. On the raised, paved bike path to work there is a break in the path for a road that sits about 12 inches below the path. The path goes down 1 foot in elevation followed by about 15 feet of flat rode followed by a rather steep 1 ft incline \____________________/ returning the path to its original elevation. Going 28mph I am able to get both wheels about 10-12 inches off the ground (If I had to guess). The bike is surprisingly neutral in air and there is definitely a gyroscopic effect of the hub motor which seems to keep the bike pointed straight with no lean. Just thought Id put this in here someplace as in case one somebody is being chased by zombies and didn't want to slow down for a short steep incline.

My only complaint would probably be price, as the ST1 will get me to and from my commute in the same time and manner as the ST2. If you recall I originally purchased an ST1 but the wrong frame size came in so I bought the ST2 floor model instead. I am happy with my purchase and the anti theft /tracking features on the ST2 are great. However if you can do without the bells and whistles the ST1 is a much better value, especially if your over 40 and actually uses your cell phone for little else other than phone calls buy the ST1.

ST2 Wishlist:
-20mph boost mode (up from 12mph)
-option of 30-33 mph top speed (up from 28)
-In App course tracking via Omni, so I can compare my times on same routes.

While these may seem trivial, I think it would make better use of the extra battery capacity that I many do not use on daily basis. It is clear that the battery size and motor capabilities are up for task so it would simply be a small firmware change.

Post up if you have any specific questions that I may be able to help with. I haven't been very active as of late on here because Id rather ride than talk about riding. Also I think it'd be cool if we did some kind of group e-bike ride for people near each other. Im thinking SeaWorld to Carlsbad and with a nice arrival meal catered by Stromer USA in Carlsbad. ;)

I loved reading your review. This should be a must read for every new ST2 owner!

And I agree with the features you would like to see! The motor cutting off at 28.7 is not fully utilizing the motor's abilities yet I also see the desire for Stromer to make sure that the bikes are ridden in a responsible manner and this is one way they can slightly.

Also to address earlier comments/questions, the major difference in the ST1 and St2 is geometry. I am sure that Cory151 will agree with me on this. The ST1 geometry is more towards a comfort bike, a more upright seating position than the ST2. This allows the user to feel quite comfortable on bike paths and casual commutes. The ST2 is a very aggressive seating position and the bike is built to preform best at over 20mph, even in the corners. This brings the ST2 off of the paths and more on the roads mingling with cars even more than the ST1.

To all of the folks that give me the "cheating" bit I tell them straight up I am working just as hard as them on their commute I just arrive in less than half the time they do which allows me to not break a sweat as much and wear Liz Claiborne boots and a Perry Ellis button up into work.

Last edited:
Also to address earlier comments/questions, the major difference in the ST1 and St2 is geometry.

Overlay ST2 - ST1, centred on bottom bracket. The frame with the longer dropout is the ST2:

upload_2015-6-7_21-36-6.png

Maybe, the difference came from different settings the local dealer has made? (e.g. length and angle of the stem?)

The 2015 IZIP E3 Dash hits 30-33mph and 20mph throttle boost mode when in any pedal assist mode and at less than half the price, however, all the other specs on the Dash are lower-end (e.g. no hydraulic brakes, no GPS tracking, etc). The Dash is like the Ford Mustang GT of ebikes, whereas the ST2 is the Porsche or the BMW M4. ;-)

I love Stromers and I would buy one if they end up going mid-drive and offering Gates Carbon Drive and an IGH and pairing it with their GPS tracking, but I have no idea if they're going that route or not. I'm still waiting for the truly next-gen bike to come along before I sell my Dash and upgrade, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until 2017 before something suitable comes along.

That's crazy that you've been getting air on your Stromer! I'm afraid to do anything like that, especially because my bike isn't running a full suspension. Remember to keep the rubber side up! ;-)

We'll cross our fingers on your Dash lasting until 2017. ;)

The biggest difference b/w ST2 and ST1 is the battery and the motor.
814 Whr removes "range anxiety" to certain extent and the 48V motor + the ability to tune Torque, speed is unique.
Sure, you can get a 48V, 32Ah Juiced Rider but that's a completely different bike altogether.

I've gone 45 miles and still had more than 1/2 battery on stock 36v ST1, so not sure what kind of range anxiety ANYONE is having with a 80-100 mile bike.
On normal 10-20 mile rides, even on high power, you're barely denting the battery. Often come back at 39 or 40 volts (start at 41 and shut off around 26)
People obsess about the range, not sure why. (unless you're commuting at the limits of your battery)
STI has adjustable torque levels as well.

Last edited:
ST2 Wishlist:
-20mph boost mode (up from 12mph)
-option of 30-33 mph top speed (up from 28)
-In App course tracking via Omni, so I can compare my times on same routes.

While these may seem trivial, I think it would make better use of the extra battery capacity that I many do not use on daily basis. It is clear that the battery size and motor capabilities are up for task so it would simply be a small firmware change.

Post up if you have any specific questions that I may be able to help with. I haven't been very active as of late on here because Id rather ride than talk about riding. Also I think it'd be cool if we did some kind of group e-bike ride for people near each other. Im thinking SeaWorld to Carlsbad and with a nice arrival meal catered by Stromer USA in Carlsbad. ;)[/QUOTE]

You can tune the boost mode top speed with code settings. You can on mine, so i can't imagine they took it away on the 2. Might not be listed in the manual, but guys are always posting new codes they've found.

Last edited:
I've gone 45 miles and still had more than 1/2 battery on stock 36v ST1, so not sure what kind of range anxiety ANYONE is having with a 80-100 mile bike.
On normal 10-20 mile rides, even on high power, you're barely denting the battery. Often come back at 39 or 40 volts (start at 41 and shut off around 26)
People obsess about the range, not sure why. (unless you're commuting at the limits of your battery)
STI has adjustable torque levels as well.

Is the ST1 Platinum really a 80-100 mile bike, though? I've heard of 55 miles being the high-end of range for the ST1 Platinum. I'm curious to know how you're getting such amazing range! :D

I had an St1 Platinum and at 6'1", 230 pounds with primarily 80% flats and 20% hills got 36 MPC (That is miles per cycle charge). There are far to many variables than to do better than gross ranges I feel for what you can get. Height/Weight=Drag, Hills=Drag, Shifting Patterns= Possible drag. The standard deviation is just too great. I now ride an ST2 that I traded in after a month to Len's Ebikes and I get at least another 70% greater range, everything else relatively equal. I will update from one full charge the MPC on the ST2 once weather cooperates and I can.

That ST2 is truly no comparison to ST1 Platinum due to the electronics and primarily due to the shifting mechanism next to the right grip. You can manipulate the motor like an automobile along with proper shifting to conquer most driving conditions

The ST2 torque band if you will feels very similar to a Specialized Turbo S which I test drove as does the riding geometry. You feel like you could take on more obstacles with ST2 and drive thru things, where as the Specialized feels faster probably due to tire size and width.

IMO these are the two nicest bike offerings currently available for the rider that desires pure smooth power. Nothing jerky or weird feeling, just pure engineering brilliance and before you know it, you are truly moving at a rapid clip with smooth acceleration and gear changing.

I had an St1 Platinum and at 6'1", 230 pounds with primarily 80% flats and 20% hills got 36 MPC (That is miles per cycle charge). There are far to many variables than to do better than gross ranges I feel for what you can get. Height/Weight=Drag, Hills=Drag, Shifting Patterns= Possible drag. The standard deviation is just too great. I now ride an ST2 that I traded in after a month to Len's Ebikes and I get at least another 70% greater range, everything else relatively equal. I will update from one full charge the MPC on the ST2 once weather cooperates and I can.

That ST2 is truly no comparison to ST1 Platinum due to the electronics and primarily due to the shifting mechanism next to the right grip. You can manipulate the motor like an automobile along with proper shifting to conquer most driving conditions
An update to this post with a comparison of the MPC (Miles Per Charge):
ST1 again was 36 miles and ST2 was 48 miles per charge. Distance % change 33% increase in distance of ST1 gold battery to ST2 gold only battery These are very close riding conditions with the st2.
In closing I feel that the overall MPC is light and someone such as @Ravi Kempaiah or @Cory151 with a more athletic physique would get even better mileage than I, so this number is really light and I was in Mode 2 or 3 most of the time with running lights on most of the time;said another way, you will get more than 48 miles period.
What a fascinating machine!

An update to this post with a comparison of the MPC (Miles Per Charge):
ST1 again was 36 miles and ST2 was 48 miles per charge. Distance % change 33% increase in distance of ST1 gold battery to ST2 gold only battery These are very close riding conditions with the st2.
In closing I feel that the overall MPC is light and someone such as @Ravi Kempaiah or @Cory151 with a more athletic physique would get even better mileage than I, so this number is really light and I was in Mode 2 or 3 most of the time with running lights on most of the time;said another way, you will get more than 48 miles period.
What a fascinating machine!

Great observations, GW Shark.

Back