Stromer ST 5 Recall. (Price =/= Quality)

http://www.ebikeswatch.com/index.ph...ecalls-st5-electric-bikes-for-safety-reasons/

THE BICYCLE STEM CAN BREAK, POSING CRASH AND INJURY HAZARDS
Stromer of Vista, Calif., is recalling about 195 Stromer ST5 electric bicycles.

The bicycle stem can break, posing crash and injury hazards to the rider.

The firm has received one report of a stem breaking. No injuries have been reported.

This recall involves all Stromer ST5 pedal-assist electric bicycles sold in a black or gray aluminum frame.

The e-bikes have hydraulic disc brakes, an integrated lithium battery located inside the down tube, a motor on the rear hub and a three-button switch on the handlebars.

Stromer is printed on the top tube of the bicycle frame and on the seat and chain guard., with ST5 printed on the downtube.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) TBNST5S700SJA0001 through TBNST5S700SKF0065 is etched on the bottom of the right-side chainstay.

The bicycles, manufactured in Switzerland, were sold exclusively at Stromer authorized dealers nationwide from April 2018, through February 2019, for about $10,000.

Does it use a carbon fiber steerer tube? Specialized had a big recall on its road bikes a few years back due to improperly supported carbon fiber steerer tubes.

A one piece bar/stem on a consumer, as opposed to custom, bicycle is a dumb idea to begin with.
Yep, and esp. putting this one piece stem/bar on a 55-60lb HIGHLY powered bike is just begging for trouble . I know i like to jump sidewalks/ over potholes at high speeds and i would have prob. Broke that stem also . Maybe that’s how the user broke it...They don’t test them like that in their controlled environment.

From the website :” Take it to an authorized Stromer dealer for a free repair”
Q- what are they going to “ repair” ?? This is 2x dumb. First you make a wrong design and put a carbon stem on a heavily powered bike and now you claim to be able to repair that same wrongly designed and manufactored carbon stem ??
That bad design can not be repaired b/c the cables go through the stem.
Give the money back to everyone, make a new bike with ALUMIniumm or TITANIUM stem and a separate Handlebar ? , call it the ST 6.

Yep, and esp. putting this one piece stem/bar on a 55-60lb HIGHLY powered bike is just begging for trouble . I know i like to jump sidewalks/ over potholes at high speeds and i would have prob. Broke that stem also . Maybe that’s how the user broke it...They don’t test them like that in their controlled environment.

They could have issues as you suggest, and apparently do due to the recall, but I was more considering that it limits the ability to fit the bike to the rider.

A one-piece stem and bar should be inherently stronger than a 2 piece configuration so long as there are no defects. I originally thought the Stromer ST5 had an integrated carbon bar and stem but only the bar extensions at the grips is carbon. I believe the stem and center bar area is AL alloy. My guess is that they may have a stress concentration problem because the run all the brake and electrical lines true the stem so it may have some thin wall sections. Unless Stromer publish more information I guess all we can do is speculate.

I for one am still a big believer that integrated carbon stems and bars are super strong and should be very reliable for any urban / street priority ebike. If I were a hard core mtn biker I would be careful of buying anything but top brand carbon for safety reasons as mtn biking can put tons of repetitive high stress on bars and stem.

Back