Stromer ST-1 Front Suspension Fork

MLWilcox

I have a Stromer ST-1 step through with a carbon fork. My daughter is the primary rider now and I have a full suspension Haibike. We would like to ride together on trails but the Stromer is pretty rough riding. Would the Stromer suspension fork be worth buying or is it just not the bike for mild trail riding?

I would try a seat post such as Body Float or Thud Buster and let some air out of the tires. You can always return the seat post if it doesn't help.

I have st1 ans st2 step thrus…….. I have stormer sus. forks on st1 and rock shox rebas on st2. Im happy with both. Rock show and fox forks are better, and because 0f our 26" "orphan" wheels can be had at prices below stormer sus. forks.
Make sure you buy forks with UNCUT steerer tube, as many on ebay are new take-offs and will not have enough length. Even stormier st1 oem Forks barely fit and spacers have to be changed. Step-thru has longer head tube than st1 mens bike. 26" 1 1/8" tapered, uncut steerer and no more than 100mm travel are your shopping criteria. I am glad I have forks on both bikes.

The seat post is a great idea and I think I will try a body float - good return policy.

I actually bought a Stromer suspension fork about a year ago from a well known ebike dealer. I was sent the fork for the top tube Stromer, not step through. First the ebike dealer said they were the same - even though my local bike shop tried and it wasn't long enough. Talked to Stromer who indicated that the step through fork was different from the top tube one. When I called to return it, I kept being told the owner would call me back but he never did. I am out $400 so am hesitant to spend more money. The fork is in a closet collecting dust.

Needless to say I bought my Haibike from another dealer (Lenny's in Madison) and could not be happier with their support.

@MLWilcox That unloved stromer fork is a standard mid priced fork.. Suggest you put it up for sale on Ebay for around $250 or so.. If it is brand new, it will sell.

fxr3 - thanks for peaking my interest in buying a Rockshox. I guess I just thought I had to stick with the Stromer one. I may run over to my local REI and have them put one on.

Also, getting a body float.

JoePah - I have never sold anything on eBay before. Is it appropriate for me to create a new thread here offering it up for sale?

There is a for sale section here on EBR

Ebay is THE place to sell your stuff. I sold my neighbors 1954 Singer Sewing machine that was broken for over $300, and many many others pieces of junk in my garage..

Try it.. You will find it's a great way to get rid of unwanted items. Just be careful about shipping costs

I would try sell you fork on for sale board here. With no previous feedback on eBay, you may do better here.

The weight of the bike and all that weight in the rear wheel (unsuspended no matter what) is just not a great recipe for an off road bike.
Not to mention a direct drive hub motor that isn't the first option for such use.
I have both bikes and I'd buy another before I took the stromer off road.

fxr3 - thanks for peaking my interest in buying a Rockshox. I guess I just thought I had to stick with the Stromer one. I may run over to my local REI and have them put one on.

Also, getting a body float.

JoePah - I have never sold anything on eBay before. Is it appropriate for me to create a new thread here offering it up for sale?

Be sure the tech at REI clearly communicates any changes to geometry with whatever shock you choose and what the compromises to handling might be.

Read closely my criteria 86. ""NO MORE THAN 10mm travel" that's from experience and does not change the rake and trail (geometry)enough to matter- in fact, I think they ride better with that slightly longer fork.

Actually, that well known dealer should have made it right immediately. And, this is just a guess, but I doubt Stromer has a suspension fork with a steerer tube long enough for st1 step thru. Industry standard is 265mm, 10.43 inches. And Stromer fork only worked on my st1 stepthru because I changed Stromer "dust cover riser" to a cane creek 1/8" dust cover and then regained my bar height with a steerer tube riser. I order forks thru dealer- they supplied, forks barely worked, I called Stromer, they said bring it back to dealer so he could check it out- dealer was 150 miles away, so I made them work as described above. Dealer did his part (by supplying forks for st1 step thru)and I did all I could for support, and made them work on my own.

And, most importantly- another disappointed Stromer customer cause sleezey dealer would not return his call.
I just got back from interbike too. Unless Stromer gets their USA game on- they are not going to be the apple, caterpillar, shimano fishing, etc...... Of the future ebike boom!
I love their bikes and want them to succeed, ain't gonna happen, unless they show more support! Haibike has wisely moved on to Yamaha motors, and there are a slew of beautiful Chinese ebikes that are confident enough to use their Chinese

Mfg. names. As opposed to relying on popular bike names. It's game on! As awesome as Stromers are, their support is gonna kill em!

Good morning. I will post on this site the fork I have.

The one I have is specifically made for the top tube bike. I spoke to Stromer and they definitely have a strep thru version. I go back and forth whether to go with the Stromer or Rock Shox or just order a Haibike SDuro when they come out that is built for more difficult trails.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. I don't want to see this thread turn into a negative critique of Stromer because my Stromer has been a great bike. My 17 year old daughter rides the Stromer hard and goes for miles and miles including on the American Tobacco Trail (an entrance not far from our house) many times a week. It has held up to a teenagers abuse without a problem for 2 years. She loves that bike and keeps trying to talk me into letting her take it to college - she is a freshman at College of Charleston.

Also, I have spoken with Stromer's customer support more than once and they have been great. The bike shop where I ordered it is more than 500 mikes away. In restrospect, I should have bought the fork from NYCE Wheels - where I got the bike in the first place. Another great ebike shop. I just went with a shop who posts on this site. Also in retrospect, I should have tried going to their east coast sales rep and had them intervene.

Back