Stolen Stromer ST2 S Replacement

Whoisthisdude

Hi All - My Stromer ST2 S was unfortunately stolen a few weeks back, but insurance has agreed to reimburse the NEW value of the bike (roughly $10k). As a result, I have circled a few options for replacing the old bike, and hoped to get a bit of advice on what the best possible replacement might be. I typically commute around 5 miles each way daily on the bike (assuming no rain), so would like something that's both fun to ride and highly reliable.

Stromer ST3
Riese & Muller Charger3 (HS Rohloff version)
Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0/5.0

While the price of the Specialized bike might seem a bit out of sort with the other options, I wondered if the lighter frame/battery would be a better option overall given I live in an apartment and moving around a 70+ pound Stromer was less than ideal in tight conditions (and pocketing the remaining insurance settlement is certainly nothing to be upset about). My commute isn't especially far and mostly flat, so I'd be interested to hear whether the comparably less powerful Specialized motor would be a material downgrade given a the lack of challenging terrain that I run into on my daily commuter rides. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

J

The Specialized Turbo Vado SL is a Class 3, so you can still get up to a good clip, and the added bonus of a much lighter bike should at least merit a test ride.

Hi All - My Stromer ST2 S was unfortunately stolen a few weeks back, but insurance has agreed to reimburse the NEW value of the bike (roughly $10k). As a result, I have circled a few options for replacing the old bike, and hoped to get a bit of advice on what the best possible replacement might be. I typically commute around 5 miles each way daily on the bike (assuming no rain), so would like something that's both fun to ride and highly reliable.

Stromer ST3
Riese & Muller Charger3 (HS Rohloff version)
Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0/5.0

While the price of the Specialized bike might seem a bit out of sort with the other options, I wondered if the lighter frame/battery would be a better option overall given I live in an apartment and moving around a 70+ pound Stromer was less than ideal in tight conditions (and pocketing the remaining insurance settlement is certainly nothing to be upset about). My commute isn't especially far and mostly flat, so I'd be interested to hear whether the comparably less powerful Specialized motor would be a material downgrade given a the lack of challenging terrain that I run into on my daily commuter rides. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

J
Homeowners insurance?

With a 5 mile mostly flat commute you should be fine with the lighter weight Vado SLs.

My only concern is the term 'mostly flat'. How much power did you use on your Stromer for the 'non-flat' sections? How fit of a rider are you?

I ask as the Vado SLs will have noticeably less 'punch' than you're accustomed to. It'd be best to test ride one on your commute route.

Other than that, the comments re the Vado SL on other theads are quite positive so I'd definitely take a look.

It seems heavier riders will not fair well on Vado SL, so your on notice.

Insurance all depends on limits and coverage. 400/year here with Cincinnati agreed new bike replacement and 2 m coverage Bodily injury liability etc.

the fact that some jerk got himself a free Stromer that someone else worked for makes me see RED!

You might want to get the one that gets you closest to what you paid originally and then sell it for the one you want to keep. So id say an R&M superelite.

If you're less than 250lbs the SL is probably a good bet due to the weight and the fact that it looks like a normal bike. Being in NY, any of the high end options is going to make your bike a target so it might not even be a bad idea to look at more inexpensive, better performing options like those with a Bafang motor or even something like an Aventon Level that has aesthetic polish and still solid performance (doesn't do torque sensing though and is a hub motor)

Last edited:
Back