Stolen Bike

mschabow

I had my Stromer stolen off the back of my Jeep 3 day ago, Had it secured to my Rockymounts hitch rack, With the supplied cable lock. I know cable locks are no good, but was parked at work in a high traffic area. Decided to take bike with me to work too save time and gas money. My work is about half way between my house and the bike shop. And needed to drop my bike off at the shop to get some work down. Checked my bike through out the day and it was OK, last time I looked was about a hour before I got off work. When I clocked out and went out cable was cut and bike was gone.
I was devastated, that was my baby I love that bike I ride about 20 to 30 miles every day. So I called the police and filed a police report Got on the Omni app and reported my bike stolen. Then called the shop and told them and they got a hold Stromer and they put the bike in theft mode. The bike did not show up in GPS because it was turned off, I was just hoping that they turned it on. A couple of hours later was seating at home feeling pretty sad missing my bike was out a lot of money, I could already hear my son laughing at me because he thought I was crazy spending that much for a bike. Then I picked up my phone and launched the Omni app and there was my bike they turned it on it was about 11 miles away, so I called the police and had them meet me there to recover my bike, I hoped In my Jeep and race over there and my bike was laying in the grass with the front and rear light flashing, the back tire was locked up, and the display was flashing the words theft mode. Other then that the bike was in perfect condition. At that moment I was so happy I bought a Stromer it justified all the money I spent on that bike. Even my son admitted that it was a smart decision to by a Stromer with the anti theft features built in.
Went on a 40 mile ride today and had the Stromer smile on the whole time.

I had my Stromer stolen off the back of my Jeep 3 day ago, Had it secured to my Rockymounts hitch rack, With the supplied cable lock. I know cable locks are no good, but was parked at work in a high traffic area. Decided to take bike with me to work too save time and gas money. My work is about half way between my house and the bike shop. And needed to drop my bike off at the shop to get some work down. Checked my bike through out the day and it was OK, last time I looked was about a hour before I got off work. When I clocked out and went out cable was cut and bike was gone.
I was devastated, that was my baby I love that bike I ride about 20 to 30 miles every day. So I called the police and filed a police report Got on the Omni app and reported my bike stolen. Then called the shop and told them and they got a hold Stromer and they put the bike in theft mode. The bike did not show up in GPS because it was turned off, I was just hoping that they turned it on. A couple of hours later was seating at home feeling pretty sad missing my bike was out a lot of money, I could already hear my son laughing at me because he thought I was crazy spending that much for a bike. Then I picked up my phone and launched the Omni app and there was my bike they turned it on it was about 11 miles away, so I called the police and had them meet me there to recover my bike, I hoped In my Jeep and race over there and my bike was laying in the grass with the front and rear light flashing, the back tire was locked up, and the display was flashing the words theft mode. Other then that the bike was in perfect condition. At that moment I was so happy I bought a Stromer it justified all the money I spent on that bike. Even my son admitted that it was a smart decision to by a Stromer with the anti theft features built in.
Good for you! Your story gave me a Stromer smile and I don't own a Stromer:)

You should ask admin to put this story in the Stromer forum. It will get buried in the general forum in a day or two.

Very happy for you!

Wow. Great story. I can image the feeling seeing the bike gone from your Jeep. Gotta like a happy ending!

TT

Amazing. And Congrats !!
You should buy your son a Stromer also. Teach me the “ E “( Electric) way from young age ?.
I read awhile ago that out of 40 Sttomers stolen in Us or worldwide ? they had recovered 38 of them. I will look for the artcile to link it here.
Lately i am very inclined to also purchase one of their higher end models. The anti theft, fast charger, big battery, Omni system, high speed are big advantages.
Just wished that they were 8-10lb lighter and also not having issues like some users are reporting.

I enjoy the thought of the thief seeing “THEFT MODE” flashing in front of him/her. No wonder he dumped the bike and took off!

That is such great news. There are a few articles from several years ago online that describe similar results of stolen Stromers. I still lock mine with an Abus Bordo 6500 and/ or a Foldylock when I leave it parked near the big university campus in my town. But knowing there is a possibility of getting it back if those two locks fail is what lets me sleep better at night. I also have it insured for full replacement value should the worst happen, but after a little over a year of riding my ST2 I don’t want another ebike. I love the one I have.

@Ravi, Why not leave the post. It's a good testimonial for the Stromer lockout feature for most people who don't know about it.

I had heard about it, from posts by owners who would set the lockout trigger and forget they changed the password.

Back