Step Through, In hub gearing, Mid-Motor for Hills < 3K hard to find.

Alriksy

I've watched many of your reviews and thoroughly scoured the internet looking for an ebike with at least 8 in hub gears, a strong enough mid-motor for hills (light trails, forest roads), hydraulic brakes, front suspension and gravel tires (2 in+) for around 3k. Not an mtb. The Dost Drop would be perfect, but I really don't want a derailleur. Any suggestions? Do you think in hub gearing will appear on more ebikes in the future?

Hard to find mid drives with IGH and Gates belt drive in that price range but check out Evelo Auora Limited. Thrre may be other bikes that others can point you to, this is a great site to get help.

Why are you opposed to derailleur? If you want a belt drive with IGH you could look a the Bulls Lacuba E8. Crazy Lenny's was discounting the Bulls Lacuba E45 step thru to $2180 a while back. I suspect they would make a similar deal on the E8 which has a belt and IGH, but you must call, they don't advertise the best prices on their website. Mention EBR when you call and you'll probably get the best deal: Lacbua models @ Crazy Lenny's

Thanks for the suggestions. Derailleurs are reliable and have served bicycling well for many years, but I'm interested in new technology where downshifting can be done when stopped on an ebike. And, I guess I'm just an old guy who's tired of the constant cleaning of derailleurs. I've heard that NuVinci may be a new option but I haven't researched it enough yet to form an opinion. Maybe someone here has more information on those. I will look at the belt drives suggested here.

Some bikes with IGHs have belt, some still use chain. Since these are middrives, I wonder if the IGH alone is worth the upcharge ?

Giant LaFree E+1 at $2400 might work for you. It doesn't have front suspension, but it works for me an I'm an oldster.

I think this might check the boxes for Step-thru, IGH, Belt drive and fat tires.

1589587839490.png

I have a non electric belt drive with a IGH and works great in town where I can't go more than a couple of blocks without a stop light or sign, but I can't climb even moderate hills with my bad knees. On the flats it is great and no maintenance worries. It does require letting off a bit when changing gears which takes some getting use to which you need to be aware of, especially with an ebike.

Back