steel ebike frames

I'm not selling you anything. You made condescending statements that were so basic and incorrect that I had to reply.

You might think this is "spin" but I'm just trying to explain why aluminum is a great material. No need to get into a pissing match. Good night!

You keep saying I'm wrong... only problem is I'm right about this... have a great night! :)

chromoly steel is a better material for e bike frames than aluminum!

More later...

Last edited:
I know very little about metals. Is the metal used for this eBike appropriate?

6061 T6 Hand Welded Aluminum Frame.
Weight: 79LBS

The motors weigh 15.9 lbs. the battery Weight: 13.50 LBS

Revolution Sport-Coming Soon!
Power- 3500W
Voltage: 78V
Top Speed: 45+MPH
Max Range (@20 MPH): 50+ Miles
RockShox Domain front fork 180mm travel
RockShox lyric rear shock- 7+" of frame travel

The rationale is explained in this post .

Last edited:
I don't know much about metals either honestly, Mike but I know how to read. I know chromoly would be better, but I also know they over-engineer the aluminum they're using and I'm certain it will work out fine. The frame is not going to be the weak link on these bikes.

I don't know much about metals either honestly, Mike but I know how to read. I know chromoly would be better, but I also know they over-engineer the aluminum they're using and I'm certain it will work out fine. The frame is not going to be the weak link on these bikes.
What is your take on carbon bikes?

My take is that I am not a professional bike racer, so I don't need to know anything about, nor have anything to do with carbon fiber, and neither do the tens of thousands of amateurs who are wasting their money on them.

My take is that I am not a professional bike racer, so I don't need to know anything about, nor have anything to do with carbon fiber, and neither do the tens of thousands of amateurs who are wasting their money on them.
For a fast bike, it removes over 25 pounds.

I dont think so, a good aluminum road bike weighs 25 pounds ... carbon won't get it down to zero!
Sorry, the Stealth Fighter weighs 74 pounds the M1 Spitzing 48 pounds. The weight of motor and battery also increases with frame weight. The M1 does 45mph, a motorcycle. I believe the SF only does 35mph.

Sorry, the Stealth Fighter weighs 74 pounds the M1 Spitzing 48 pounds. The weight of motor and battery also increases with frame weight. The M1 does 45mph, a motorcycle. I believe the SF only does 35mph.

You're comparing apples to oranges there, Mike.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/129709-audis-50-mpg-e-bike-pops-wheelies-boasts-wifi

The Audi 50MPH+ e-bike weighs 24lbs, so does that mean that every carbon fiber bike weighs 50 lbs less than comparable aluminum and steel bikes (e.g. compared to the Stealth Fighter at 74 lbs)? Of course not. You cannot compare two different bike models like that and assume that the choice of frame material is the prime determinant of their weight difference.

A carbon fiber frame should save you ~5lbs over an aluminum or steel frame. Steel frame bicycles (non-electric) tend to weigh 18-30lbs, aluminum ones 16-27lbs, and carbon fiber ones 14-24lbs. There are a lot of variables that change the weight (brand, bike type, etc), and it's totally unfair to say that CF will always save you 25 lbs. There are so many other variables at play that determine the weight of a bike.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/129709-audis-50-mpg-e-bike-pops-wheelies-boasts-wifi

The Audi 50MPH+ e-bike weighs 24lbs, so does that mean that every carbon fiber bike weighs 50 lbs less than comparable aluminum and steel bikes (e.g. compared to the Stealth Fighter at 74 lbs)? Of course not. You cannot compare two different bike models like that and assume that the choice of frame material is the prime determinant of their weight difference.

A carbon fiber frame should save you ~5lbs over an aluminum or steel frame. Steel frame bicycles (non-electric) tend to weigh 18-30lbs, aluminum ones 16-27lbs, and carbon fiber ones 14-24lbs. There are a lot of variables that change the weight (brand, bike type, etc), and it's totally unfair to say that CF will always save you 25 lbs. There are so many other variables at play that determine the weight of a bike.
OK. Let's assume CF saves 5 pounds. The controllers should not differ significantly in weight. Does that mean the motors differ by 22 pounds? If not, how is the weight distributed?

The M1 battery is 18Ah. The SF is 20Ah. I think accounts for 2 pounds. Both batteries are LFP chemistry (lighest possible).

So, the motors are 20 pounds different in weight ? The SF is a 3kW hub motor. The M1 is 980W center-mounted.

The SF is not a tubular frame, but a "box". I believe the difference in frame weight is at least 10 pounds.

Last edited:
OK. Let's assume CF saves 5 pounds. The controllers should not differ significantly in weight. Does that mean the motors differ by 22 pounds? If not, how is the weight distributed?

The M1 battery is 18Ah. The SF is 20Ah. I think accounts for 2 pounds. Both batteries are LFP chemistry (lighest possible).

So, the motors are 20 pounds different in weight ? The SF is a 3kW hub motor. The M1 is 980W center-mounted.

The SF is not a tubular frame, but a "box". I believe the difference in frame weight is at least 10 pounds.

Tires, wheels, suspension, battery box, brakes, frame design/layout, handlebar, headset, saddle, chain...

I could go on.

Tires, wheels, suspension, battery box, brakes, frame design/layout, handlebar, headset, saddle, chain...

I could go on.
The two bikes are designed for 35+ mph speeds. Does anyone know the typical weight for a metal frame designed for high speeds? It seems to be around 70 pounds.

Is there a power-to-weight ratio rule-of-thumb for metal bikes vs. Carbon frames?

The two bikss and the Grace One.15 (2kW) are my primary choices. The metal framed, hub motor bikes weigh approximately the same. The Grace One tubes are super-sized and appear to be twice the weight of most tubes.

Last edited:

Is M1 and Fritzmier lying or distorting facts?

2/3 lighter is not the difference between 16/14 or 27/24 pounds.

Carbon is two thirds lighter than aluminum and seven times more resilient to external forces.

Back