Stay away from Racktime Baskets if you want a sturdy basket for a 28mph ebike !!

Ebiker01

1st one lasted 3-4months.

This one only 1month and 3weeks. Just a backpack and occasionally some groceries.

Luckily i bought it (Amazon) with insurance from Asurion and they granted a refund but i do have to spend the time to pack the broken one and ship it(they provided the box and label)

What’s a strong , reliable rear basket ??

Made for US or North Eastern weather ? I think in Denmark or wherever they make the Racktime , they assume people will carry 1-2loafs of bread and a banana.

Really, it looks like it’s made from the cheapest , thinniest aluminium ever ; or it could be plastic.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

68$. Yes it’s plastic just a bit harder. The first time i took the hit for 70$ , not this time again esp. after only 6-7weeks of using it.
Most of their baskets are same cheap plastic.

Then they make some from wood and other materials.

The rental bikes have very sturdy baskets. I know here the Citybike ones are strong. And Uber jump ebikes has some quality ones as well.

From a website i pulled the info/pic (they charge 105$ there....) , this one’s mine:

I will take a look at what Topek has, seems That they know the american market a LOT better.

Either That or i build my own basket. I did made one using a milk crate but that was for the rainy bike.
For a nice ebike need something prettier then a 5$ milk crate.

68$. Yes it’s plastic just a bit harder. The first time i took the hit for 70$ , not this time again esp. after only 6-7weeks of using it.
Most of their baskets are same cheap plastic.

Then they make some from wood and other materials.

The rental bikes have very sturdy baskets. I know here the Citybike ones are strong. And Uber jump ebikes has some quality ones as well.

From a website i pulled the info/pic (they charge 105$ there....) , this one’s mine:

View attachment 40017
Their website says Material: Steel/Vinyl. Is it metal with a vinyl coating? looks rusted in your pics

Also says 22lbs weight limit which is pretty light weight

I had a milk crate on my acoustic bike but bought a nicely styled plastic one for my Ebike. Made by CCM it is ziptied to the rear rack. Around $40 CDN.

Attachments

• 20190922_083027.jpg
    20190922_083027.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 1,039
I have the large racktime basket on my bike and have been using at least once a week for a year and a half. It is coated steel (aluminum does not rust) and still looks like new with no rust anywhere. They can be bought on ebay for $60. I have found the racktime attachment hardware reliable and sufficient.

It looks like you poked holes in yours to put an elastic strap through. What's that about? What have you been carrying in it that has caused so much wear and damage?

It seems evident that your use was extreme for this basket and you should have purchased something more heavy duty. Most people want their bike accessories to be as lightweight as possible.

You probably should have gone the milk crate and zip tie route.

It's not really fair to use, if not abuse, an item so heavily and title your thread "Stay AWAY from RACKTIME BASKETS !!

Here is my bike this past Saturday with the basket filled with about 15 lbs of veggies and other food stuffs.

20191012_101640.jpg

Last edited:
I have the large racktime basket on my bike and have been using at least once a week for a year and a half. It is coated steel (aluminum does not rust) and still looks like new with no rust anywhere. They can be bought on ebay for $60. I have found the racktime attachment hardware reliable and sufficient.

It looks like you poked holes in yours to put an elastic strap through. What's that about? What have you been carrying in it that has caused so much wear and damage?

It seems evident that your use was extreme for this basket and you should have purchased something more heavy duty. Most people want their bike accessories to be as lightweight as possible.

You probably should have gone the milk crate and zip tie route.

It's not really fair to use, if not abuse, an item so heavily and title your thread "Stay AWAY from RACKTIME BASKETS !!

Here is my bike this past Saturday with the basket filled with about 15 lbs of veggies and other food stuffs.

View attachment 40041

I poked holes through it ?? yea right...

Put your bincoculars ON and see that those holes were from the 2 big black screws breaking apart from the CHEAP plastic frame mesh and there are broken seams everywhere and in order to secure the basket i had to put the strap through and the other zip ties. Only for a few more days until i decide which brand makes a solid basket/rear rack combination.

lt will definetly be NOT MADE IN CHINA.

I already said that this rack is for one apple and 1-2loaf of breads , exactly the type of stuff of what you are carrying ! And most likely the roads have much better pavement where you ride.

On NY streets, my ebike encounters massive crater wide potholes, 15-25inch deep holes in the road are very common. I avoid what i can, but not all can be avoided.

The message is clear , if you want a sturdy rack to last a lifetime:
STAY AWAY FROM RACKTIME BASKETS.

Too bad i had already dispose of the first one. That one had massive damage from carrying LIGHT stuff.

What they didn’t engineer or anticipated in this cheaply made chinese rack is that stuff bounces from a HEAVY ebike rear end ocassionly hitting 10-25inch deep potholes and it sends the shockwave into the basket and it’s flimsy components.

That would need a structural engineer to design a solid EBIKE RACK for US broken infrastructure roads.

The only US made component on my ebike is the Spurcycle bell and it’s a masterpiece of engineering design.
The rest of the ebike’s components are chinese (90%) , 5 german ( Abus, Lupine, Busch&Lumen, SQL labs, Ergon),1 japanese(the DAPU rear hub motor).

Their website says Material: Steel/Vinyl. Is it metal with a vinyl coating? looks rusted in your pics

Also says 22lbs weight limit which is pretty light weight

yes it’s like that -metal with vinyl coating.
The issue is from the road shocks and irregularities sending vibrations throughout the bike rear end and rack system which was not designed to take shocks very well from an ebike 40lb rear end ...,
The rack system itself is poorly constructed: the basket freely moves 2-3mm when inserted through the Rack openings.
That gap with the vibrations from a 28mph seed pedelec hitting an occasional pothole made it break apart.

It should hold up at 20 or28mph just like any other Ebike accessory.

And does it say anywhere -for speeds up to 14mph on potholes FREE Paved roads ?

Captain, this basket worked and works for you b/c of your specific needs but clearly is not a reliable basket since NY potholes teared it apart.

The secret to a good basket is how sturdy the rack under the basket is, I'm talking with tubing that is a least 3/4" thick, use a good heavy duty milk crate, not the Walmart ones for $5.00 there junk to. Good milk crates are in the $15.00/$18.00 range and good heavy duty racks are the ones that Rad builds, but then again they are made for Rad Bikes, maybe that's why there $80.00. The rack in the picture does look sturdy enough, but mounting anything requires more that two screws and a washer, I would say at least four mounting plates and with plates on both sides of the rack and basket.

Your basket gets 5 star ratings from 24 of 28 customers on this German bike shop site. https://www.rosebikes.com/racktime-bask-it-rear-bicycle-basket-555518

Yes Steve, the basket came with the adapter.

Allthough it is moving few mm, so not really good. I think all of theor baskets come with that adapter. Interestingly that one has no issues, no broken parts...

And they have another “heavy duty” very small piece of adapter for which they charge 45$ !!

Really 45$ for a piece of hardware ??

Last edited:
Back