ST5 Hitch Mount Carrier

Larry Ohlmann

I'm looking for a good carrier to mount on my trailer hitch (2") for my ST5. I understand the the bike is 66.5lbs but I'm not sure that includes the 9.8lbs that the battery weighs. Can someone clarify the actual weight.
I'll be using the carrier on a SUV and will need to open the rear door while the bikes on the carrier. Any suggestions?

get the kuat carrier it fantastic. i have the 2 bike carrier on my car. i carry 2 ebikes no problems. rack is rated for 60lb bikes.

my st2 s weighs 59lbs. i never take my batterys out when i travel.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Kuat/BA22B.html i paid $500 for it. and yes it folds away to get into the back of the vehicle.

hope this helps you.

aldo
Thanks for your suggestion Aldo. I currently have the Kuat but my model is not rated for e-bikes.

1upUSA is outstanding. Check out YouTube on this bike rack. I have used mine for two seasons and it has Kuat beat by a mile...

I have a Hollywood rack that handles 2 x 80 pound fat tire bikes. https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HR1455Z-E.html I like it a lot. There are essentially identical racks for narrower tires.

TT
Tars: I went with the Hollywood HR1450Z-E. Clumsily, I posted this thread twice so here are my thoughts as per the other post: On the plus side, it is very solid and fits tightly on the hitch receiver. The loaded bikes are extremely secure and there is no movement as you drive. On the negative: the hooks hard to move up and down as Joathenine reported earlier. I also found it to be somewhat clumsy with the pivot bolts, L pins and snapper pin. The website suggests lifting the front wheel on the holder first and then lifting the back wheel. That seems to work well. Bottom line is I am satisfied that the bikes are safely secured and that it holds so much weight (up to 80 lbs per bike).

Tars: I went with the Hollywood HR1450Z-E. Clumsily, I posted this thread twice so here are my thoughts as per the other post: On the plus side, it is very solid and fits tightly on the hitch receiver. The loaded bikes are extremely secure and there is no movement as you drive. On the negative: the hooks hard to move up and down as Joathenine reported earlier. I also found it to be somewhat clumsy with the pivot bolts, L pins and snapper pin. The website suggests lifting the front wheel on the holder first and then lifting the back wheel. That seems to work well. Bottom line is I am satisfied that the bikes are safely secured and that it holds so much weight (up to 80 lbs per bike).
Congrats! The hooks are a lot easier to move if you squeeze the release with one hand and push down or lift up with the other hand by pushing the whole mechanism close to the shaft. I've got thousands of miles on mine and it's worked great for me.

TT

Back